HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 03:54 PM
MAAC 15256
Durham, Ontario, Canada
Joined Jul 2005
88 Posts
Is that the result of overheating the motor?
Jim 15256 is offline Find More Posts by Jim 15256
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 04:20 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim 15256 View Post
Typically, yes. The adhesive loses its adhesive bond that hold the magnets to the bell.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 05:49 PM
United States, AZ, Scottsdale
Joined Jul 2006
85 Posts
[QUOTE=Sideslip;28899673]John,
I requested and they agreed to make my axels 1 inch.............

Thanks Bert.
Col J is offline Find More Posts by Col J
Old Yesterday, 06:41 PM
Master of Repairs
United States, UT, Grantsville
Joined Mar 2013
791 Posts
Total Destruction Today on Maiden -

Took my CC out today for the maiden. I had everything set up perfectly and balanced with a good battery. Light wings just right so I checked everything and took off.

The plane nosed right into the wind with just a little rudder then when tried to get it up it seemed to struggle. Power was around 75% so I new instantly something was wrong. However I was a point of no return about 10 feet off the ground and not a good area to land so I kept going and gave it full up elevator and increased power to around 90%.

It went up very slowly so I thought maybe the rate was not enough as I had my plane set up with 3 rates - High / Mid / Low 100% - 75% -50% of full throws. I quickly clicked over to high rates and I tried to trim it and I gave it full elevator up trim and I still had to keep full up elevator.

The elevator was centered and tested before the flight so I know it had good throws up and down.

I tried turning the plane and that was it. I had full power and full up elevator and it just went nose down and I cut the throttle and smash.

I haven't done any post test yet - still upset and want to cool off before I go through it.

Pre-flight was fine and I taxied it around prior to take off and everything seemed normal. The only thing I can think of is the elevator servo was bad.

It is pretty much smashed - both wings took of the ends, elevator ripped out, both wing sockets torn, cowl gone, support struts broken, gear bent.

Let me know if anyone else has seen this before. It was probably something I did or didn't do.

If this was a fast warbird I could take it but a easy flying cub I should have been able to land it but it just wouldn't respond.

I flew my J3 , nitro 73", today just fine and dandy.

I will see what I can find in the post investigation.

Keith
kknox is offline Find More Posts by kknox
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Spitfire Repair
Old Yesterday, 07:36 PM
Balsa to the Wall
Deep in the East Texas Piney Woods
Joined Dec 2001
4,457 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim 15256 View Post
I don't know if the magnets slipped and it caused the motor to overheat, or the motor overheated and it caused the magnets to slip. I do think the plane has a very inadequate airflow for cooling the motor and electrical components. I have made no changes to the drive system.
Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Chuck
Old Yesterday, 08:07 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kknox View Post
Total Destruction Today on Maiden -

Took my CC out today for the maiden. I had everything set up perfectly and balanced with a good battery. Light wings just right so I checked everything and took off.

The plane nosed right into the wind with just a little rudder then when tried to get it up it seemed to struggle. Power was around 75% so I new instantly something was wrong. However I was a point of no return about 10 feet off the ground and not a good area to land so I kept going and gave it full up elevator and increased power to around 90%.

It went up very slowly so I thought maybe the rate was not enough as I had my plane set up with 3 rates - High / Mid / Low 100% - 75% -50% of full throws. I quickly clicked over to high rates and I tried to trim it and I gave it full elevator up trim and I still had to keep full up elevator.

The elevator was centered and tested before the flight so I know it had good throws up and down.

I tried turning the plane and that was it. I had full power and full up elevator and it just went nose down and I cut the throttle and smash.

I haven't done any post test yet - still upset and want to cool off before I go through it.

Pre-flight was fine and I taxied it around prior to take off and everything seemed normal. The only thing I can think of is the elevator servo was bad.

It is pretty much smashed - both wings took of the ends, elevator ripped out, both wing sockets torn, cowl gone, support struts broken, gear bent.

Let me know if anyone else has seen this before. It was probably something I did or didn't do.

If this was a fast warbird I could take it but a easy flying cub I should have been able to land it but it just wouldn't respond.

I flew my J3 , nitro 73", today just fine and dandy.

I will see what I can find in the post investigation.

Keith
Keith,

Keep us posted. Check to see if the elevator is working. Verify that all surfaces are correcting in the right direction.

By the way, was the prop on the right way?

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 08:24 PM
Australia, QLD, Ferny Hills
Joined Apr 2013
495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Keith,

Keep us posted. Check to see if the elevator is working. Verify that all surfaces are correcting in the right direction.

By the way, was the prop on the right way?

Bill
It wouldn't taxi if it wasn't!
PhillPerry is online now Find More Posts by PhillPerry
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 08:31 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillPerry View Post
I am not talking about the rudder being reversed, it is how the control services react to roll, pitch and yaw inputs. It is how the stabilizer is setup.

A prop will still provide enough output to taxi but flying would be a real friggin' challenge.
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 09:04 PM
Master of Repairs
Joined Mar 2013
791 Posts
The prop had the writing out so it should have been on correctly. I did a pre-flight with throttle at 75% and it was pulling against my legs really hard so that wasn't the problem.

I always do the same pre-flight with all my planes. If anything was reversed I would have probably crashed it on take off. I flew a good 100 yards straight out up to a decent altitude but with full up on elevator.

I will probably never know what it was.

Keith
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 09:05 PM
Joined Jul 2011
357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
I am not talking about the rudder being reversed, it is how the control services react to roll, pitch and yaw inputs. It is how the stabilizer is setup.

A prop will still provide enough output to taxi but flying would be a real friggin' challenge.
Ditto on that. Even the stock motor makes enough power that it yanks the plane right off the ground. Sounds to me like a definite power problem and with full up elevator you were on the verge of a stall (if not already there) and trying to make a turn finished it off.

My first guess is that you were not getting full power, either because the end points on the throttle were not correct, ESC not calibrated properly, or as was said, the prop was on backward or, and I have seen this when helping a club member with a heli, the battery was junk.

A club member (just as an FYI) had a heli he needed help with. When trying to spool it up, it just would not come up to RPM. He said he had charged his battery and when checking voltage it seemed right. So we thought it was ESC setup or bad motor, but for some reason I decided to check his heli with my battery and guess what....full revs.

Long story short, it turned out the IR was through the roof on his battery and it was toast.

Could you have had a sketchy battery and that is why you were potentially down on power?
rocket_33 is offline Find More Posts by rocket_33
Old Yesterday, 09:49 PM
Master of Repairs
Joined Mar 2013
791 Posts
I just went and took pictures and video of everything. Prop was on correctly, battery cells were good they still have avg. 4.11 in each cell. Motor turns fine.

I checked the Elevator and Rudder servos- the Elevator servo makes a loud noise compared to the Rudder servo. It sounds a little like it is grinding.

It does move to full end of throw each way during the ground test.

I will remove the motor and check magnets next.

I think I will contact HH and see if I can send them the elevator servo so they can test it and check it out. If it checks out bad then maybe they will help me in replacing parts at least that are damaged.

If is good, then I will have to run more test and see if I can find anything.

Keith
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 09:56 PM
Joined Jul 2011
357 Posts
Can you check the internal resistance of the cells? Just curious because as I said, club member's battery showed it had proper voltage but when put under load it couldn't deliver

What make of batteries were you using, what configuration, and how old?
rocket_33 is offline Find More Posts by rocket_33
Old Yesterday, 10:00 PM
Living The Dream in Bris Vegas
Joined Oct 2010
392 Posts
Quote:
I just went and took pictures and video of everything. Prop was on correctly, battery cells were good they still have avg. 4.11 in each cell. Motor turns fine.

I checked the Elevator and Rudder servos- the Elevator servo makes a loud noise compared to the Rudder servo. It sounds a little like it is grinding.

It does move to full end of throw each way during the ground test.

I will remove the motor and check magnets next.

I think I will contact HH and see if I can send them the elevator servo so they can test it and check it out. If it checks out bad then maybe they will help me in replacing parts at least that are damaged.

If is good, then I will have to run more test and see if I can find anything.

Keith
Just a thought .. and ignore the rest if you don't have an AR635 in there..
But did you check the correct response of control surfaces from the 635 ( not your inputs but the movements made by the 635 stabilisation) ? There have been some instances where the control sense was set wrong out of the box. Just sounds like the model was trying to go nose down and you were fighting it..
ohaussie is offline Find More Posts by ohaussie
Old Yesterday, 11:12 PM
Joined Jan 2014
196 Posts
Quote:
The prop had the writing out so it should have been on correctly. I did a pre-flight with throttle at 75% and it was pulling against my legs really hard so that wasn't the problem.

I always do the same pre-flight with all my planes. If anything was reversed I would have probably crashed it on take off. I flew a good 100 yards straight out up to a decent altitude but with full up on elevator.

I will probably never know what it was.
As has been mentioned, if you're on the edge of a stall...................which you are, if it won't climb, then never try turning. It will get you every time. You have to release some of that elevator, and get the nose down. Even if it means, not landing where intended. BTW-- I live over the mountain in Herriman. Do they still use the lake bed in Grantsville for R/C?
L.A. is offline Find More Posts by L.A.
Old Yesterday, 11:29 PM
Joined Sep 2009
288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillPerry View Post
I put a prop on backward once with a CZC and it taxied and took off but just didn't have much power. It didn't crash or anything but I felt pretty stupid anyway.
SQ4MN is offline Find More Posts by SQ4MN