HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 11, 2012, 07:28 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,478 Posts
I have made a personalized google map with all the little flying sites that I know of. This is just little fields that I have found that "might" be ok to fly at and some that others have found. I would like to share it and get input from you guys if you know any other areas. I found 2 sites in Cayce this week and am badly in need of sites on the northwest side of town. Let me know what I can add. I can add you as a collaborator on the map and you can make edits, but you have to pm me your email address.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...09161,0.676346
shahram72 is offline Find More Posts by shahram72
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2012, 10:59 AM
I like them a bit tail heavy
Carolina's
Joined May 2004
1,430 Posts
You guys go to the bottom of the page...Look left center under Projects ...Then click on Maps.RCgroups....

Then zoom in on the Columbia SC area. Most of the flying sites that I know about or where I know folks just fly "public" are listed there. If there is a spot that is not listed, please add it.

A few years ago, I added the spot on Clemson Rd and the field we fly at in Lugoff (off of Whitehead)...

Here is the link : http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/maps.php?m

Peace, tommy

EDIT: I can ask for a single forum to be added here under clubs for Columbia SC if you guys like. PM me and I will check into it...t
tdab is offline Find More Posts by tdab
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:03 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,478 Posts
Thanks for doing that, I added what I knew as well. Including the club I am a member of, Congaree Flyers. I made the person google maps to include little areas that may or may not be kosher to fly at and keep track of and share them. You don't want to add every little place on the rcgroups map unless you know it's safe to fly there and it's decent. For example, there are a couple places by the airport, and one has a no trespassing sign. I might try to fly there, cause it is likely no one will care about a guy who is there for a few minutes every couple weeks, but I can't add that in good conscience to the rcgroups map.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 07:03 PM
Carolina's
Joined May 2004
1,430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahram72 View Post
Thanks for doing that, I added what I knew as well. Including the club I am a member of, Congaree Flyers. I made the person google maps to include little areas that may or may not be kosher to fly at and keep track of and share them. You don't want to add every little place on the rcgroups map unless you know it's safe to fly there and it's decent. For example, there are a couple places by the airport, and one has a no trespassing sign. I might try to fly there, cause it is likely no one will care about a guy who is there for a few minutes every couple weeks, but I can't add that in good conscience to the rcgroups map.
I agree with what you are saying.....You should come out to Lugoff on Saturday mornings. Weather permitting, We start about 8am and go till around 11. That way the whole day isn't shot We had 5 or 6 planes in the air at one time yesterday. It was cool! We fly all kinds of electrics so anything is fair game!
Old Oct 21, 2012, 07:24 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,478 Posts
Unfortunately, those hours I work. Mornings are best, but I don't have any. My wife works on Sunday. I can fly afternoons and evening but it gets windy then.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 07:35 PM
RCG -Minus Member
United States, SC, West Columbia
Joined Oct 2009
1,440 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdab View Post
I agree with what you are saying.....You should come out to Lugoff on Saturday mornings. Weather permitting, We start about 8am and go till around 11. That way the whole day isn't shot We had 5 or 6 planes in the air at one time yesterday. It was cool! We fly all kinds of electrics so anything is fair game!
Electric only?
microflitedude is offline Find More Posts by microflitedude
Old Oct 21, 2012, 08:51 PM
Carolina's
Joined May 2004
1,430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by microflitedude View Post
Electric only?
It is a huge field and I fly some fairly big planes out there but there are some soccer fields adjacent (and baseball fields too) that can get packed at times and houses maybe 300-400 feet away. If somebody complained it would get the place shutdown for everyone. I live in the neighborhood that is close by the way