Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 05, 2010, 04:03 PM
Poole, United Kingdom
Joined Nov 2006
118 Posts
Discussion
How do you slow down a mini blade

Hi Guys

I picked up a mini blade with the 2 servo wing last week and lobbed it off my local slope into a 20 mph breeze over the weekend. It was fantastic to fly, super fast and a joy to fly. The problem arose when I wanted to land. I had mixed in about 5mm of spoilerons which didn't make any difference in the landing speed and I had about 15 touch and go's before I manged to fly the bird down.

I was a bit nervous about mixing in more spoilerons but it looks like I will have to. Does having spoilerons reduce the possibility of a tip stall or will it be better to use flaperons?

Thanks as always

S
Sipper is online now Find More Posts by Sipper
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 05, 2010, 04:22 PM
Crikey never leave beer behind
Mt Annan Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2003
23,031 Posts
NO, NO ,NO dont use flaperons you will have absolutely no roll control. I land mine with spoilerons but have a deflection of around 15mm It does slow it down a fair bit , but it still takes me a full circuit with them deployed before the energy washs off and there's no way to tip stall with that much induced washout being applied by spoilerons.
SteveW
steve wenban is online now Find More Posts by steve wenban
Old Jul 05, 2010, 04:28 PM
Poole, United Kingdom
Joined Nov 2006
118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve wenban View Post
NO, NO ,NO dont use flaperons you will have absolutely no roll control. I land mine with spoilerons but have a deflection of around 15mm It does slow it down a fair bit , but it still takes me a full circuit with them deployed before the energy washs off and there's no way to tip stall with that much induced washout being applied by spoilerons.
SteveW
Thanks Steve

Ill crank mine up to 15mm and give it a go.

S
Old Jul 05, 2010, 05:01 PM
Joined Dec 2003
23,031 Posts
Dont forget you elevator comp cant remember what mines set at but think its about 1/32" down trim
SteveW
Old Jul 05, 2010, 05:10 PM
AKA Cactus
Cornwall UK
Joined Aug 2002
2,558 Posts
the spoilers won't slow you down so much as they let you use far more elevator, it's the higher AoA that slows you down, but it'll still come in fast, but their tough, go for it
Phillybaby is offline Find More Posts by Phillybaby
Old Jul 05, 2010, 05:16 PM
Joined Dec 2003
23,031 Posts
Yes it does thats where energy management comes into it , the amount of drag induced does slow you down but it requires time to create the effect hence my full circuit with them deployed. Dont just deploy them on final approach as you wont see much effect other than a higher sink rate.
SteveW
Old Jul 05, 2010, 06:25 PM
Stirring the pot
Port Elizabeth South Africa
Joined Jun 2008
4,005 Posts
Practice your approaches..
You have to bleed off speed.
Try taking her down low on the the leeward side of the face (if the wind is not exactly straight up)
Then crab her up, into wind on the last bit of your approach landing....

I suppose we all develop our own technique dependant on the slope conditions..
That's why we fly...
It's a challenge!
johannlochner is online now Find More Posts by johannlochner
Old Jul 06, 2010, 06:06 AM
tamed gliding frog
France, PACA, Carpentras
Joined Dec 2006
212 Posts
the "head for that tree technique" has proven very effective at slowing down a glider dramatically.

More seriously, the mini blade is heavy and thus a very fast flyer, you won't be able to land it like a feather in light wind.
Generally speaking, coming at a 90° angle quite low and doing this last turn with the rudder only, keeping the wings levelled to the ground works rather well to bleed off speed (that's what I do with my gliders that don't have flaps for crow-braking)
abla57 is offline Find More Posts by abla57
Old Jul 06, 2010, 08:43 AM
Confirmed Chronic
Pacific Palisades, CA
Joined Jul 2004
9,208 Posts
My MB slowed down great with lots of spoileron, although it did not have a provision for ballast. The plane is weakly built, IMO. Leading edges have no reinforcement and the fuse behind the wing is an eggshell in the true sense of the word. Nice flyer, but save it for places where landing isn't too dangerous.
screamin' eagle is offline Find More Posts by screamin' eagle
Last edited by screamin' eagle; Jul 06, 2010 at 08:50 AM.
Old Jul 06, 2010, 11:51 AM
FSD
Definite Flight Risk
Joined Apr 2008
2,675 Posts
I typically use any stationary object, like the ground to slow down my slope planes.

-P
FSD is offline Find More Posts by FSD
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 06, 2010, 11:58 AM
Poole, United Kingdom
Joined Nov 2006
118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSD View Post
I typically use any stationary object, like the ground to slow down my slope planes.

-P
:-)
Old Jul 06, 2010, 01:40 PM
Welcome to the Wind
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jan 2008
205 Posts
just don't try to slow it down like this
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1271035
o2begrn is online now Find More Posts by o2begrn
Old Jul 10, 2010, 01:49 PM
The Peak District
Joined Dec 2006
2,871 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamin' eagle View Post
My MB slowed down great with lots of spoileron, although it did not have a provision for ballast. The plane is weakly built, IMO. Leading edges have no reinforcement and the fuse behind the wing is an eggshell in the true sense of the word. Nice flyer, but save it for places where landing isn't too dangerous.
You must have any early version as mine has a ballast tube built in and the fuz is really tough.
I have the maximum amount of 'up' ailerons I can get with a healthy dose of 'down' elevator trim to compensate for the ballooning effect. My technique is to progressively increase the spoilers (to about 30% of their total travel) on the cross wind leg and increase the setting untill touch down into wind. I find this enables me to make quite accurate landings, although if I was buying another I would buy the 4 servo wing.
Ben D Wing is online now Find More Posts by Ben D Wing
Old Jul 24, 2010, 05:39 PM
Poole, United Kingdom
Joined Nov 2006
118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben D Wing View Post
You must have any early version as mine has a ballast tube built in and the fuz is really tough.
I have the maximum amount of 'up' ailerons I can get with a healthy dose of 'down' elevator trim to compensate for the ballooning effect. My technique is to progressively increase the spoilers (to about 30% of their total travel) on the cross wind leg and increase the setting untill touch down into wind. I find this enables me to make quite accurate landings, although if I was buying another I would buy the 4 servo wing.

Many thanks for all the advice. I have set up about 15mm of spoiler and as Ben D says give it about 30 - 40% on the cross wind approach and feed in the rest on final into wind. Spent the afternoon today lobbing the Mb out, doing a loop or two and coming round to land, after half a dozen attempts it's landing closer and closer to me. For my first mouldie it sre is fun.

Thanks again

S
Old Jul 24, 2010, 11:18 PM
The Peak District
Joined Dec 2006
2,871 Posts
Glad to be of service Sipper and it's great news that you've mastered the landing technique.
I'll be giving mine an airing later today if the rain holds off.
Ben D Wing is online now Find More Posts by Ben D Wing