Old Mar 18, 2015, 10:22 PM
Find More Posts by Aerogance
U down with EPP? Ya u know me
United States, CA, Ventura County
Joined Sep 2008
3,183 Posts
Discussion
New DS hill: Teradyne

I have been wanting to fly the ridges above the old Teradyne complex for a while. One of the ridges needs a NW wind (mostly in Spring except not this Spring since the wind has been crap). The other ridge will work on the rare SW wind and the more common NE wind.

I drove up a nearby ridge to check the wind direction and it was 10mph out of the due south. Since I have the super light JW this amount wind would be fine. I parked at the bottom of the fire road that leads up the ridge and hiked to the top. The wind switched from South to West before I hit the top. West is the absolute worst direction since everything is blocked.

Despite the off angle wind, I hiked over to the NW wind spot and the wind wasn't that bad. I managed to fly on the front with some bumpiness but the backside was Weldon clean. The shear is well defined and high and didn't seem to move around at all. The wind was 8-9 mph so I was happy that I could DS at all. I want to get back up there in more wind. After a storm, the wind can easily be 30mph+ up on this ridge so I will keep tabs on the weather and wait for a clearing wind.

The most interesting aspect of the ridge I flew is that even though it is right there by the 101 freeway, you would never realize it is something you could fly. Google Earth gave me the idea to scope it out a few years back but I couldn't tell if there was wind from bottom. If the local sensors show decent wind with a touch of north in it, I will give the hill a go again.
Aerogance is offline Find More Posts by Aerogance
Last edited by Aerogance; Mar 18, 2015 at 10:35 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 20, 2015, 11:06 PM
Joined Sep 2008
3,183 Posts
Skunkage

Wind came up early today and got stronger than normal with gusts to 20mph from the WNW. The wind angle and speed were perfect for the Teradyne ridge. I loaded up to go but got side tracked for 90 minutes. Finally reaching the hill, the wind was still going and the direction was perfect.

I scaled the hill and checked the wind. Only 12mph. I was a little confused because the wind had been cranking for hours. I launched the JW and the front was clean and lifty in the light air. I got into the backside and it was perfect. Then a 15mph gust hit and the power came on. The power was very good for the wind speed. But after about 60 seconds of good DS'ing, the wind suddenly dropped out to 6mph from the SW and it was next to impossible to fly.

After I got back to my car, I noticed the sky had gone from a few wispy clouds to full cover like a front was moving through. This explained the sudden and dramatic change in the wind. When I got home the wind was almost completely calm. Live and learn. Fly first, f@#$ around later!

I will check out the Teradyne hill during a proper NW clearing wind. I think it has some potential but won't know for sure until I get the right wind there. One thing is for sure, the backside is very unique with the mountain 200 yards away. It is really beautiful to behold and worth the hike if the wind is okay.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 12:49 PM
Find More Posts by L.A.R.S.
Launch and Recovery System
United States, CA, Laguna Beach
Joined Apr 2008
1,542 Posts
what kind of hike is it? Also any pics from satellite maybe?
L.A.R.S. is online now Find More Posts by L.A.R.S.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 09:51 PM
Joined Sep 2008
3,183 Posts
Hike is about 15-20 minutes and not too bad. I think a clearing wind is what this place needs.