HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 25, 2015, 12:12 PM
AKA 8178
Joined May 2004
1,436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMDESIGNS View Post
Mike,
Here is a idea for you before you commit to your set up. See picture. The rectangular block is threaded and the screw passes thru a hole in the torque tube. Screw thread cut off in a lathe. Should be a secure way of mounting and will not slip like a clamping style may .
I could cut some bolts in my lathe and send to you in the mail if you want to go this route.
Joe
Thank you very much for the offer Joe.

I think I'll hold off for awhile and finish the lower sheeting on the right stabilizer. At that point I can take the stabilizers off the tubes and figure out how I would do the bolt through the pivot tube. I think at this point the bolt end would need to go through an elongated hole in the pivot to make sure that the control rod would be able to position the two stabilizers correctly. Or the hole in the pivot rod would need to be drilled after the build is complete and everything is aligned . There is also the right left position of the hole too that I will not know for sure until I complete the top part of the fuselage above the stabilizers.

With the two tubes connecting the stabilizers the alignment is important to prevent the assembly from biding and not working smoothly.

Mike
Jet_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Jet_Flyer
Last edited by Jet_Flyer; Feb 25, 2015 at 12:25 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2015, 08:12 PM
AKA 8178
Joined May 2004
1,436 Posts
The lower sheeting and cap strips are complete on both stabilizers.

I think the structure is ridged enough now to slide them off the rods and do more work for the control rod/tube and give more thought on how Im going to lock the stabilizers to the pivot tube. More tomorrow.

To be continued
Old Feb 25, 2015, 08:16 PM
JOE MOCERI
United States, MO, St Charles
Joined Nov 2006
70 Posts
Looking real good Mike. If you need anything machined out let me know and Ill gladly give a hand if you need it.
Have you given thought on the finish you are going to use?
JMDESIGNS is offline Find More Posts by JMDESIGNS
Old Feb 28, 2015, 06:20 PM
AKA 8178
Joined May 2004
1,436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMDESIGNS View Post
Looking real good Mike. If you need anything machined out let me know and Ill gladly give a hand if you need it.
Have you given thought on the finish you are going to use?
Thank you!

I haven't decided on a locking solution yet. I tested the clamp idea and it works well but I've also cut a hardwood block for a possible screw type lock.

Mike
Old Feb 28, 2015, 06:22 PM
AKA 8178
Joined May 2004
1,436 Posts
More work on the stabilizers. I added the 1/8 plywood sub-ribs to hold the outside ends of the control rod/tube. At this point everything is lining up really well and the mechanism moves very smoothly.

To be continued
Old Yesterday, 03:24 PM
AKA 8178
Joined May 2004
1,436 Posts
More work on the stabilizers and the bolt lock. Joe generously offered to turn a bolt for me on his lathe, but rather than imposing on Joe, I made one with my drill and file.

The hardened 4-40 socket head bolt goes in at an angle so it has a lot of threads in the hardwood maple block. I’ll need to reshape the bottom sheeting to cover the bolt head.

To be continued ……
Old Yesterday, 06:15 PM
AKA 8178
Joined May 2004
1,436 Posts
The right side stabilizer pivot rod locked with a 1/16 music wire pin and the sheeting cover for the left side locking bolt.

To be continued
Old Yesterday, 08:02 PM
AKA 8178
Joined May 2004
1,436 Posts
Assembly together with the locking bolt in place.

I put the stabilizer assembly on the fuselage and gently used the locking bolt to make a registration mark on the pivot tube. Then I took it apart and drilled a hole in the pivot tube for the tip of the locking bolt. It all works very smooth and no free play in the stabilizer control linkage.

Im using some thin nylon washers to space the stabilizers out from the fuselage side.

Ready to sheet the stabilizer tops, add the balsa tips and basswood trailing edges.

To be continued
Old Yesterday, 08:20 PM
R_G
Wanna Hover? Fly a Heli!
United States, PA, Farrell
Joined May 2010
698 Posts
Nicely done Mike!

Ralph
R_G is offline Find More Posts by R_G