New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 30, 2015, 09:32 AM
Find More Posts by on.looker
Joined Nov 2010
97 Posts
Discussion
Walker Runner 250 NOT a good Racer?

I just got my Runner 250 today! I got the full FPV package since that was the cheapest way to get the Goggle2. Some silly sites are listing them for $500 - $900. Comparatively, my whole package, with the OSD, was $721usd and with FREE DHL 3 day shipping as well! I have not flown it yet because there is a problem with the Right Rear ESC. It gets hot even when the motors are LOCKED. The other 3 ESC stay cool to the touch.

Further, I have an issue with the Goggle2. It does not have the ability to focus the monitors. A must for people who wears glasses. I am not able to use these goggles unless I get new contacts just for it. After all that and I am back to relying on my Devo F12E. No joy!

I had a good look at the Runner 250 itself and started wondering if it is actually a good racer at all?! I have noticed that it is designed to be a stable flyer, NOT an agile flyer. The props are at mid body and most of its weight are actually under the props. This would make it bottom heavy! Relying on what I've learned in my physic's lectures (as I understand them), this would require more force and time to initiate and finish a roll, it will also require a larger arc, but more importantly, it would require more time and skills to swing the heavy under belly around when changing direction quickly. Accurately re-stabilizing "a swinging pendulum" after a quick turn is another concern as well. Conversely, I have also noticed that almost all racers out there are purposefully the top heavy. Their props are on the bottom of the frame, putting all the weight on the top. Have you notice that the heaviest component (the battery) is almost always on top? This makes them naturally unstable (ie. naturally agile) thus enabling quicker, tighter, and cleaner aerobatics (a common built-in "must have" attribute in all new jet fighters). And since most races are won or lost in the corners this would put the Runner 250 at a disadvantage as true racer.

Simply put, the bigger the object you want to move, the more stuff you need to leave behind.

IMO, I think that the Runner 250 is a better sport flyer than a racer.

IMO, whether an OSD module is in use or not during a race is completely and utterly irrelevant compare to this inherit inertia problem.

Thoughts anyone?
on.looker is offline Find More Posts by on.looker
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 30, 2015, 10:20 AM
Find More Posts by Rinzler
Joined Apr 2015
215 Posts
As Bo stated it is more of a way to get people into the sport of racing and not full on balls out. Honestly if I was just starting out and picked up a BO or Vortex I would probably wreck it non stop and get disappointed. As a BNF package its not bad deal but as a full setup with goggles I do not think it is worth it unless they are moving into more Walkera crap FPV.
Rinzler is offline Find More Posts by Rinzler
Old Jul 01, 2015, 10:40 PM
Find More Posts by Dbz619
Toycar racer
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined May 2014
96 Posts
Couple good threads on the runner 250...might get more replies if ya post in those threads since others are subbed to them...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2428836

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2446428
Dbz619 is online now Find More Posts by Dbz619