New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by KRProton, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 04:07 PM
Find More Posts by KRProton
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
4,094 Posts
Announce
2015 USA F5D Team Trials; Proposed date and location

6-24-15 MINOR UPDATE:
See image at bottom of this post. Preliminary announcement/Flyer for 2016 F5D/F5B World Championships:

5-21-15 UPDATE/REMINDER:
No particular news today. Just a note that we'll have processing (which entails weighing of the planes and batteries, limiter checking, etc.) the evening of Thursday the 17th. Time and location to be determined, but likely either at my home or at the flying site. Keep this in mind regarding your travel plans.

4-27-15 UPDATE:

I've been advised of the date and location of the F5D World Championships:

Lugo, Italy (on the east coast not far from Venice). August 12 through 19 2016. Apparently, the site is a large, full size airfield with hangers, food and the usual accommodations. Weather conditions should be warm and humid about 85F and 50-80% humidity so I am told. Elevation; about 42'.

Eventually, there should be be an official web site.

Tim

4-8-15 UPDATE:
The event sanction has been approved and received, so now the US F5D Team Trials in Champaign, Illinois on September 18 & 19 is official. I've attached an entry form below the images at the bottom of this post. The form must be completed and forwarded to the AMA by August 20.

Tim

3-17-15 UPDATE:

I’ve been in communication with the AMA regarding the event sanction application, fees and the Team Trials entry form. The sanction application is in process. Once accepted by the AMA the event will finally be official (but it should be just a formality).

A correction to the fees I originally cited: Competitors will pay a $20.00 fee to the AMA enclosed with the entry form and a $75.00 entry fee payable to the Champaign County RC Club on-site at the event.

I’ll post a link to the official 2016 US F5D Team Trials entry form soon (along with lodging information, etc.)

Tim

2-10-15:
As a head’s-up to fellow and prospective F5D pilots, I would like to announce that I have proposed to my local R/C club (CCRCC – Champaign County Radio Control Club) to host the 2015 US F5D Team Trials Friday and Saturday September 18 & 19 at our site here in Champaign, Illinois. Nothing is final so this announcement may be a little premature, but I would like to extend the courtesy allowing as much time as possible for prospective competitors to at least contemplate prepping models and making plans should this come to fruition.

The Friday-Saturday schedule will have the least possible impact on weekend flying for our members. Saturday-Sunday the 19th-20th and Sunday-Monday the 20th-21st will be reserved for rain dates should inclement weather arise. Club leaders present for the presentation seemed overwhelmingly in favor of hosting the event, but nothing will be official until due diligence is done and the proposal is put to vote at the next business meeting March 2nd (and subject to the F5 Team Selection Committee and AMA approval). I know of no other clubs who are also making a proposal (not that I would know).

I have tentatively solicited fellow competitor and friend Jay Cappis from nearby Bloomington, Illinois to C.D. the event. Jay is already an experienced pylon C.D. and runs an annual AMA pylon race for his local club. Jay will preside over the Trials, but for now correspondence should go through me as I am the main person promoting this event. (Jay is also the guy who called me to a 9th place at the AMA Nat’s in EF1 – no cuts in spite of my tendency to turn to early around No. 1!)

From prospects I’ve spoken to directly or heard about indirectly, the current number of contestants (including myself) is up to seven which, if this holds true, is a vast and welcome improvement over the last couple of cycles. Rumor also has it that Italy has put in a bid to host the WC (which would be in the Fall of 2016).

Nothing is finalized, but I hope to have the field available for practice for at least part of the day the Thursday before the event. Processing (limiter checking, weighing planes and batteries, sign-up, etc.) would be Thursday evening at a location yet to be determined (likely at the club site, or possibly even my home provided the number of contestants remains small and manageable).

As you’ll see on the aerial map, the predominance of the course is over tall weeds (which I hope to have mowed to a manageable height). But the area between the start/finish and the baseline from where the planes will be launched and where the pilots and callers will be standing is over the mowed, short grass and is perfectly suitable for landing an F5D ship (as I have already done hundreds of times!). In the interest of expediency, I hope/plan to race two models simultaneously (though we all know the standings in F5D are based solely on race times). The winds typically (but not always) preside out of the North or South. The main pavilion just outside the boundary line should be available for pitting.

One small “wrench in the works” is the potential for funerals at the adjacent cemetery. Several days notice is given for funerals, but when they do occur no flying is allowed fifteen minutes before or 45 minutes after (adding up to a one-hour delay). I’d guess the chance of one funeral is about 20% and the chance of two funerals is much less. If a funeral occurs it can be incorporated into a lunch break and with the small number of competitors anticipated this shouldn’t cause any problems. The latest Program rules stipulate six rounds a day for two days.

There will be multiple entry fees; The AMA stipulates two, separate fees payable to the AMA in advance; a $20.00 Program entry fee and a $50.00 Entry fee (I apologize – I paid these fees myself when I tried out in 2013 and never learned why they are separate). There will also be a $75.00 entry fee owed to my club for running/hosting the event. All the fees are required in advance, but stay tuned for details when they become known (and only if/when the Club wins the bid to host).

While on the subject of fees, according to AMA guidelines, the previous two US F5D teams did not meet the criteria for continued AMA monetary support, so the team will be entirely self-funded this time. To that, the Team Selection committee has established…

“…a good faith advance payment of $500.00 will be collected at the time of the awards presentation and submitted to the AMA toward WC entry fees, with excess refunded. In the event it is later found that a selectee and the alternate cannot fulfill his/her obligation to participate in the World Championship, the 4th, 5th, 6th, etc., in serial order, will be offered the opportunity to replace him/her (AMA must approve such a replacement). The $500.00 payment will be required immediately upon appointment and the abdicating pilots’ fee refunded. If upon conclusion of the Team Selection program period that neither Team Selection method has been executed fully it will be the responsibility of the F5TSC to select the team in a fair an honest manner based on any/all available contest results.”

So if you finish in the top three to win a spot on the team, have your checkbook ready.

If you are interested in competing and will travel by airline, Chicago O’Hare is slightly less than a 3-hour drive and Indianapolis International Airport is only a two-hour drive. I prefer using Indy because it’s significantly closer than O’Hare and easier to access by car. On the other hand, you can get an easy connecting flight out of O'Hare down to Champaign that takes only about 30 minutes -- it's a piece of cake and I've done it many times. If you have any questions about transporting your planes or LiPos on the airlines I’d be glad to help as I have done this a couple of times. (For my planes I use a long gun case checked as luggage and for my LiPos I use a spare transmitter case checked as carry-on.)

Particular details aside, the pylon community is a close-knit group. And the prospective F5D contingent is a tiny part of this family. We’re in this together, so I think this should be a pretty smooth event and hopefully a lot of fun for everybody. Many of my club members have seen me grind out laps and seem to enjoy it. The majority of the club reflects this in their graciousness and willingness to entertain my proposal.

For starters, here’s a link to the CCRCC site:

http://www.ccrcc.info/main/

Here’s also a link to last year’s official F5 World Championship site including a photo gallery which may give you some insight about the WC event itself:

http://www.f5-wc2014.at/5d/index5d.html

Visit this thread for more details as they become known and official and don’t hesitate to shoot me a PM if you have any questions.

Tim
KRProton is online now Find More Posts by KRProton
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by KRProton; Jun 24, 2015 at 07:58 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2015, 05:16 PM
Find More Posts by Lenny970
Greeley, Colorado, USA
Joined Feb 2000
3,082 Posts
Way to go Tim!

Lenny
Lenny970 is online now Find More Posts by Lenny970
Old Mar 05, 2015, 08:45 AM
Find More Posts by Ed Smith
Joined Jul 2008
144 Posts
F5D Team Trials

Will spectators be allowed to attend this team Trial?

Ed S
Ed Smith is offline Find More Posts by Ed Smith
Old Mar 05, 2015, 09:06 AM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
4,094 Posts
Hi Ed.

Certainly!

I don't anticipate many spectators (and at this moment, I know of only about six trying out), but yes, our site and layout will welcome and accommodate spectators. Many of my club members have been supportive and interested in my F5D when they get a glimpse of me practicing and seem interested in observing an actual trials or a race with a couple airborne simultaneously.

I remember at the trials out in San Diego several of the regular club members who happened to be on-hand came over to check out our planes close-up and also seemed quite interested.

I'll be attending our club's next business meeting on Monday the 9th for the final vote whether or not our club will host the trials, but all indications are positive and it should be just a formality at this time.

Tim
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 06, 2015, 11:32 AM
Find More Posts by Ed Smith
Joined Jul 2008
144 Posts
Hi Tim,

Thanks for the reply.

If you want to drum up some interest for this event try this. Go to "You tube". Enter

"2010 F5D World Championships Muncie, Indiana, Race# 78".

I was the start line CD for this event. I would not have missed this for the world.

regards.

Ed S
Ed Smith is offline Find More Posts by Ed Smith
Old Mar 07, 2015, 08:54 AM
Find More Posts by Jezzejamez
United States, MI, Commerce Charter Township
Joined Oct 2013
2,621 Posts
Very interested, I will have to clear my schedule. I've got alot of research to do. I'm sure the regulations change every year across the board... Thanks Tim for the information....
Jezzejamez is online now Find More Posts by Jezzejamez
Old Mar 07, 2015, 09:12 AM
Find More Posts by D.English
Hemet California
Joined Jul 2009
1,085 Posts
Well, don't know if I will be able to afford to go but going to work towards it like I can, todays plan is to start stuffing a big motor into a fuselage and finish laying up prop molds along with laying up a AR6 Q40 fuselage and tail for a friend.
D.English is offline Find More Posts by D.English
Old Mar 09, 2015, 08:18 AM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
4,094 Posts
Hey Dave!

Save your pennies, get on a plane and get yourself here! Maybe you and the Browns could team up or something.

If you're considering shipping your planes and equipment out you can ship it to my house. I'm sure there are other ways I could help you out as well.

Love to see you out here!

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help!

Tim
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 09, 2015, 08:29 AM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
4,094 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezzejamez View Post
Very interested, I will have to clear my schedule. I've got alot of research to do. I'm sure the regulations change every year across the board... Thanks Tim for the information....
The regulations for F5D haven't changed for a long time and are very stable.

Here's the basic plane requirements:

CLASS F5D - ELECTRIC POWERED PYLON RACING MODEL AIRCRAFT

This class is a racing event for electric model aircrafts only. The race consists of 10 laps around a triangle measuring 400 m in circumference. The best competitors fly their model aircraft over a distance of more than 4 km in just 70 seconds or less !

Model Aircraft specifications:

Minimum weight ready to fly: 1,000 g
Maximum surface loading: 65 g/dm2
Battery Type: Lithium Polymer
Minimum weight of battery pack: 200 g
Maximum weight of battery pack: 400 g
Limitation of energy by an electronic limiter that stops the motor: max. 1,000 Watt-min

Here's the specs for the Avionik, for example:

Span - 51.8" [1315mm]
Length - 36" [914mm]
Total Area - 240.3 sqin [15.5dm2]

Based upon the area and the FAI's maximum surface loading, the maximum weight of the Avionik then is 1007.5g.

Here's a link to the FAI F5D rules:
http://www.fai.org/ciam-our-sport/f5-electric-flight

The Swist Pro and Big Bruce Racing EVO 5Dominator are newer F5D airframes.

Here's a link to the Dominator:

http://bigbruceracing-public.sharepo...-aircrafts/f5d

Tim
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by KRProton; Mar 09, 2015 at 12:40 PM.
Old Mar 09, 2015, 01:42 PM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
4,094 Posts
Just an FYI,

here are the dimensions of the AMA Q40 course and the FAI F3D/F5D course. This comes up in conversation occasionally, so I just thought I'd post it here. You'll notice the primary dimensions for the Q40 course are in feet because that's how it's specified, but I added the metric conversion in brackets. But the FAI course is in meters because that's how it's specified, but I provided the English conversion in brackets. The length of the Q40 course is also specified from the base line to pylon 1, where the length of the FAI course is specified along the legs from 1 to 2 & 3.

Tim
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 09, 2015, 07:35 PM
Joined Oct 2013
2,621 Posts
Thanks Tim..
Old Mar 09, 2015, 10:11 PM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
4,094 Posts
Just an update for anyone contemplating or planning to compete in the US F5D Team Trials for the 2016 team; we just took another step closer to hosting the event at my local club site here in Champaign as membership generously voted "yes" on my proposal. Most of the details are in the opening post to this thread.

My next move is to submit the official bid to the AMA and F5 committee chairman.

I'll check in when I have more news, but in the mean time feel free to contact me via email or here in this thread which I check often.

Tim
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 17, 2015, 01:11 PM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
4,094 Posts
3-17-15 UPDATE:

I’ve been in communication with the AMA regarding the event sanction application, fees and the Team Trials entry form. The sanction application is in process. Once accepted by the AMA the event will finally be official (but it should be just a formality).

A correction to the fees I originally cited: Competitors will pay a $20.00 fee to the AMA enclosed with the entry form and a $75.00 entry fee payable to the Champaign County RC Club on-site at the event.

I’ll post a link to the official 2016 US F5D Team Trials entry form soon (along with lodging information, etc.)

Tim
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 24, 2015, 10:40 AM
Find More Posts by XtremeWingRC
Fast? I got something 4 ya!
United States, WI, Oak Creek
Joined Oct 2007
3,445 Posts
Hmmm interesting, maybe ill try as well with jesse
XtremeWingRC is offline Find More Posts by XtremeWingRC
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 24, 2015, 03:13 PM
Joined Oct 2013
2,621 Posts
Better sell that x-plane and build you a very hot pylon racer.. Regulations are a few posts up...