SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 19, 2014, 01:29 PM
Find More Posts by Dr0neMan
Suspended Account
Joined Aug 2014
29 Posts
Discussion
NTSB Rules any RC flyer in the country can be fined $10,000

Now that the FAA has the authority to fine any RC flyer in the country $10,000, I'm curious how the combat community feels about this.

The court ruled that any RC flight under 400ft can be considered reckless. The court also ruled that FARs can be applied to RC aircraft! Unbelievable I know!

How does the combat community feel about this? Considering you guys are deliberately flying your RC planes into eachother, and RC planes are considered aircraft which can have FARs applied to them, you are all now liable for a $10,000 fine! This is outrageous, hopefully our community can band together to push back against this crazy regulation.
Dr0neMan is offline Find More Posts by Dr0neMan
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2014, 07:33 PM
WJH
Find More Posts by WJH
WJH
United States, FL, Spring Hill
Joined Aug 2005
737 Posts
Just look at the current administrations track record of expanding the size of government... Somehow our hobby got their attention. I blame multi rotors and the idiots that bounce them off skyscrapers and fly near approach paths of airports
WJH is offline Find More Posts by WJH
Old Nov 20, 2014, 10:05 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Aug 2014
29 Posts
+1 WJH, we need to push back on this hard. We should demand action from the AMA and need to start writing to congress.

It's definitely true that "drones" are getting the most media attention, but if we remember in the past decade there have been several high profile incidents of RC 3D helicopters severly injuring people and even killing a young man. There has also been at least one instance of an LOS piloted acrobatic RC plane colliding with a manned aircraft. In the past these were considered accidents and insurance was there to provide relief.

Now these acts would be considered a violation of Federal criminal law!
Old Nov 20, 2014, 01:18 PM
Find More Posts by SubyDude
Luke A.F.B., AZ
United States, AZ, Glendale
Joined Aug 2009
130 Posts
____-----
SubyDude is offline Find More Posts by SubyDude
Last edited by SubyDude; Nov 20, 2014 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Deleted, wrong thread
Old Nov 21, 2014, 02:50 PM
Find More Posts by GoatZilla
Joined Sep 2005
1,220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJH View Post
Just look at the current administrations track record of expanding the size of government... Somehow our hobby got their attention. I blame multi rotors and the idiots that bounce them off skyscrapers and fly near approach paths of airports
While I don't agree with that behavior, I also don't think that's what got their attention.

What got their attention was the sight of money changing hands. The more popular our hobby becomes (and it seems to have really surged), the more money that changes hands. The more that happens, the more the vultures start paying attention.

"These guys have pie. We want our cut of the pie."
GoatZilla is offline Find More Posts by GoatZilla
Old Nov 22, 2014, 11:45 AM
Find More Posts by WarlordATF
Wingman
United States, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Aug 2013
323 Posts
Its just wrong. I hope the AMA provides legal services to whoever gets popped for this. What about beginners? Will they get fined because they are still learning and don't have complete control yet? IMO this looks to me like the FAA turned to the NTSB since the Congress ruling says the FAA has to leave us alone. Sadly it looks like the AMA and all of us are going to have a major fight on our hands just to continue our hobby.
WarlordATF is offline Find More Posts by WarlordATF
Old Nov 24, 2014, 12:21 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Aug 2014
29 Posts
Well said We really need to start contacting our representatives and trying to get the media on our side.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 02:33 PM
Find More Posts by Eddie P
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
8,035 Posts
This has nothing to do with 99.9 percent of RC model flight operations. It is an over reaction to say otherwise.

What happened here is guys were flagrantly flying RC planes equipped like drones (cameras, beyond visual range, etc), doing this in public, making money doing it, actively marketing their operation, publicizing the heck out of it and not flying safely. Period. The commercial operation business, the flying at 1500 feet and throwing out any form of see and avoid, flying way beyond visual range, making money doing it, and that sort of thing got the ball rolling against RC. RC flying at RC fields especially during sanctioned AMA operations is pretty safe but we have to come together as an RC community and support responsible flying so we don't have any more Fed involvement in our hobby. The flood gates have sort of opened on us, so we have to stay clear of the waters for a while, no doubt.

Anyone on here at RC groups should not hesitate to call out as a peer anyone publicizing stupid flying behavior. We have to stand up for our hobby and protect ourselves from within from the clown "outliers" that pop up from time to time will marginalize the heck out of it for us.
Eddie P is offline Find More Posts by Eddie P
Old Nov 24, 2014, 05:52 PM
Find More Posts by chaoticrobot
United States, CA, Walnut
Joined Jul 2014
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie P View Post
This has nothing to do with 99.9 percent of RC model flight operations. It is an over reaction to say otherwise.

What happened here is guys were flagrantly flying RC planes equipped like drones (cameras, beyond visual range, etc), doing this in public, making money doing it, actively marketing their operation, publicizing the heck out of it and not flying safely. Period. The commercial operation business, the flying at 1500 feet and throwing out any form of see and avoid, flying way beyond visual range, making money doing it, and that sort of thing got the ball rolling against RC. RC flying at RC fields especially during sanctioned AMA operations is pretty safe but we have to come together as an RC community and support responsible flying so we don't have any more Fed involvement in our hobby. The flood gates have sort of opened on us, so we have to stay clear of the waters for a while, no doubt.

Anyone on here at RC groups should not hesitate to call out as a peer anyone publicizing stupid flying behavior. We have to stand up for our hobby and protect ourselves from within from the clown "outliers" that pop up from time to time will marginalize the heck out of it for us.
Thank you! You are so right about the over reaction to this decision. I think many of us see a headline or a poorly written article (from someone not in the hobby) and they jump to conclusions. Go to NTSB website and the FAA website, get the information from the source!
chaoticrobot is offline Find More Posts by chaoticrobot
Old Apr 08, 2015, 12:35 AM
Find More Posts by Larry21603
California
Joined Jan 2010
134 Posts
Multi-rotors have changed the RC hobby and once the genie is out of the bottle there's no way to put it back.

I left one informal flying field because these new people with their multi-rotors were buzzing everyone and generally acting like jerks. Now, when I'm there and one of these multi-rotor guys shows up I just leave.

Calling them members of the RC community that I've grown up with is wrong.
Larry21603 is offline Find More Posts by Larry21603
Old Apr 10, 2015, 09:08 AM
Find More Posts by rockin' roller
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Oct 2004
962 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry21603 View Post
Multi-rotors have changed the RC hobby and once the genie is out of the bottle there's no way to put it back.

I left one informal flying field because these new people with their multi-rotors were buzzing everyone and generally acting like jerks. Now, when I'm there and one of these multi-rotor guys shows up I just leave.

Calling them members of the RC community that I've grown up with is wrong.
I agree. A few months ago I got into an argument with this one idiot that had a huge $3000 multi-rotor and was set up on the flight line of our informal field. When I asked him to move back off the line for the purposes of the AMA safety code, and volunteered to help him, he started hollering that he was a member of AMA too and had every right to be there. I agreed with him, but re-stated the safety requirements. He then proceeded to fly this monstrosity behind the flight line, over our heads and cars. It was obvious that he either lied about being in AMA, or he never had bothered to read the safety code.

Many of the people who fly those things have way more money than they have common sense, and they have a bad attitude to boot. Since it takes very little skill to fly the computer controlled multi-rotors, they have not had to work for the satisfaction of getting air time.
rockin' roller is offline Find More Posts by rockin' roller