SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 23, 2015, 04:26 PM
Find More Posts by evildave42
United States, GA, Duluth
Joined Jul 2009
82 Posts
Hey Rebel, your thoughts on ow to drive it mirror my own. I was always planninf to use metal HL gearboxes (for simplicity if nothing else) likely one in the front and one in the back.

Although the original plan was a bass and plywood under-body I have since decided to use 2mm polystyrene sheet, I am much more familiar working with it than sheet-metal so I think I can make a pretty stout chassis. The wooden body that you saw posted earlier is actually being sheeted with various thicknesses of plastic sheet as well (I wanted some impact resistance). I'm planning for the turret to be plain 2mm sheet as well.

As for the road-wheels, thanks to the Maus's low ridding armor skirts I can actually get away with a lot. At one point I was even thinking of thin cosmetic wheels on the out side with a few large ones hidden behind. But now I am leaning toward making the Maus and other simmilar models I'm making look more properly engineered, that is to say that in real life practicality wins out over fancy drawing that the Fuhrer likes. In this case a mass produced Maus might share parts with another existing tank like the Tiger. So I will probably go with 2-3 sets of road-wheels from another 1/16th tank. Still leaning toward the Panzer III wheels, might take 4 sets but it would give the impression of better weight distribution.
evildave42 is offline Find More Posts by evildave42
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 24, 2015, 07:01 AM
Find More Posts by Rebel 1
United States, RI
Joined Sep 2012
385 Posts
Hi Dave,
I wish you the best with your build. I'll tell you, If I didn't have so many things I want to do I would be interested in building a Maus. I really enjoy making things and this tank has many interesting parts to design to make it come to life.

I agree with you that the German designers would have used existing parts where ever they could. After all, they were auto makers and manufacturers many of which are still in business today. The Germans are very smart people and I feel most of them went along with their leader to protect themselves, their family's and yes their businesses and their workers. If the Fuhrer didn't want so much armor on this tank, who knows, it may have gone into production.

No matter how invincible they thought this tank may have been, the tracks are its Achilles heal so to say. If one bazooka team or one tank got behind the Maus, one hit to either track would put it out of action. Once its ammo was exhausted it would be just another piece of scrap metal on the battle field.

The Germans had many great ideas and plans, but they were to little and to late to win the war.
Rebel 1 is offline Find More Posts by Rebel 1
Old Jun 24, 2015, 10:21 PM
Joined Jul 2009
82 Posts
3D Print Test of Treads

Well, I printed 6 tread links to scale at 0.3mm resolution. They came out nice and strong but they are a bit rough, each link would need sanding, also none of the pin holes printed.
I may have to try again at 0.2mm resolution, Also still waiting on the new Z-axis motor from Soliprint.

Rebel 1 - Don't forget how effective the Nazi propaganda machine was.
And now that I think about it, the Nazis probably would have gone with the special parts anyway, that was one of their big problems, new and flashy always beat good and reliable, they could have build 4 of the very effective Panzer IVs for every unreliable Tiger. I guess we have to thank them for that.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 05:28 AM
Find More Posts by Shell shock 2
Warbirdman
United States, MN, Plymouth
Joined Mar 2013
221 Posts
1/16 metal king tiger tracks are too narrow?
Maybe 2, 1/16 panther tracks pinned together.

Its just printed parts are sometimes fragile,but..
If that works you could make a few bucks!
Shell shock 2 is offline Find More Posts by Shell shock 2
Old Jun 25, 2015, 07:12 AM
United States, RI
Joined Sep 2012
385 Posts
The track likes look great Dave. I think you should give Shapeways a try with your 3D images. You would have to pay their price, but at the same time you cann offer them for sale and make some money in the process.

Shapeways can print them in metal as well, but the price will be higher.

Its a good thing Hitler was such a lunatic, they may have won the war if they didn't make so many mistakes. I really believe that God was on our side. That's the reason the Allies won the war.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 09:58 PM
Joined Jul 2009
82 Posts
Okay, just printed 2nd and 3rd track tests at 0.2mm resolution with different settings. Not appreciably better. This may be beyond the Solidoodle Press's abilities.

I have acctually tried 2 1/16th Panther tracks together, it involves disassembling 3-4 sets of track, cutting up half the links and reassembling them. I got far enough to realize it was a staggering amount of work for questionable results.

At 1/16th the Maus tracks should be 65mm wide. Supposedly the tracks for a 1/10 Panther match this perfectly (and there are already matching sprockets and road-wheels) so I'm thinking I may look into that and just use the 3D printer for the surface details.

I could try the Shapeways thing but I don't think I could sell them as I did not create the original model.

And yes, God probably helped a lot, maybe he even planned for Hitler to be in power instead of someone more level headed like Himmler, he would have gotten a lot more people killed.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 09:14 AM
United States, RI
Joined Sep 2012
385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by evildave42 View Post

I could try the Shapeways thing but I don't think I could sell them as I did not create the original model.
Hi Dave,
Your 3D parts don't have to be original to sell them on Shapeways. 99.9% of the items there are copies or the full sized items they represent. Some are better than others. Take a look and see what they can do for you.