HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 27, 2015, 09:42 AM
Joined Jan 2008
32 Posts
Discussion
Foam Safe Spray Paint

Hey guys I have been experimenting with several types of ways to add color to my foamies. Using tape from Tape Brothers, Ultrmacoat wide variety of Kryolon and Rustoleum paints. Many of the aerosol paints can really do a number on your plane if you are too aggressive in spraying. I have done some sealing of the foam first then spray with aerosol: Minwax Oil base sealer, Modgepod from Hobby Lobby some water base sealers as well prior to actually spraying on aerosol paints. Problem.....they all add weight. I have just recently started experimenting with Ultracoat and with temperature control have been successful in not melting the foam. Tape Brothers (Experimental Airlines-Ed) is OK but very transparent. But you can get a wide variety of colors.
I just went on Walmart's web page and located some latex spray paint called Eco-Guard. Compatible with foam...as they say. I need to pick up a can and try it. They say it is foam safe. Must not contain all the nastys: toluene, xylene,propane, etc.
The cans are 12oz and sell for under $6US. Testers runs about the same price for only 3 oz.
senormiller is offline Find More Posts by senormiller
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2015, 09:10 AM
Florida
Joined Nov 2007
2,579 Posts
Any water based paint can be used safely on foam - latex, acrylic, water colors, etc,
awrightbrother is offline Find More Posts by awrightbrother
Old Jan 28, 2015, 11:55 AM
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Sep 2013
33 Posts
Krylon Fusion for plastics works well!
Dieselgc is offline Find More Posts by Dieselgc
Old Jan 29, 2015, 02:30 AM
United States
Joined May 2012
247 Posts
Hobby Lobby sells paint called Krylon Short Cuts which comes in small spray cans. The store near me keeps it locked up in a case so i always have to wander all over the store until i can find someone who has a key to get to it. Interestingly enough, you can go across the street to Lowes and buy any kind of paint or other chemical right off the shelf. Anyway, I've used it on Depdron, DTF, and even plain old styrofoam with no problems and a light coat gives good coverage.
FliegenFrosch is offline Find More Posts by FliegenFrosch
Old Jan 30, 2015, 02:45 PM
Grandville, MI
Joined Dec 2003
2,267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FliegenFrosch View Post
Hobby Lobby sells paint called Krylon Short Cuts which comes in small spray cans. .
+1
r/cdawg is offline Find More Posts by r/cdawg
Old Jan 31, 2015, 10:40 PM
United States, NC, Kannapolis
Joined Jul 2012
103 Posts
I have used the short cuts cans on epp foam and it does work great. My favorite paint right now is the the apple barrel paint from walmart thinned 50/50 with windshield washer fluid put in a paasche airbrush with a 1mm tip. I can paint a plane for about $1 and cleanup is easy with water.
aerojunkie is offline Find More Posts by aerojunkie
Old Feb 01, 2015, 01:01 AM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Mar 2009
976 Posts
Testors Spray Enamel will,,,,,WILL NOT MELT FOAM!!!! Like to emphasize this since there are so many colors. Just don't buy it at the hobby shop. Get it from Michael's or Walmart for the best prices. (just not the best selection)
MUTCAKE is offline Find More Posts by MUTCAKE
Old Feb 01, 2015, 03:03 AM
United States
Joined May 2012
247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerojunkie View Post
I have used the short cuts cans on epp foam and it does work great. My favorite paint right now is the the apple barrel paint from walmart thinned 50/50 with windshield washer fluid put in a paasche airbrush with a 1mm tip. I can paint a plane for about $1 and cleanup is easy with water.
I haven't used it on epp but I can imagine that it would not stick very well and be easily wiped off. I don't know about about most people but I have no interest in dealing with an airbrush. They are wonderful if you do a lot of spray painting but i usually paint my foamies just enough to be visible in the air.
Old Feb 01, 2015, 03:05 AM
United States
Joined May 2012
247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTCAKE View Post
Testors Spray Enamel will,,,,,WILL NOT MELT FOAM!!!! Like to emphasize this since there are so many colors. Just don't buy it at the hobby shop. Get it from Michael's or Walmart for the best prices. (just not the best selection)
I'm going to make a not of the Testors you mentioned. The bad thing about the Krylon Short Cut paint is the limited variety of colors.