Old Apr 13, 2015, 06:41 PM
AvB
Find More Posts by AvB
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,928 Posts
Recently Justin from Vermec dropped around to do a couple of tweaks to the setup of the machine, the most significant thing being to change the dipswitch settings for the Gecko drives to match more recent recommendations. Now I’m not the CNC technical guy but I understand that one outcome was to reduce the tolerances that the drives were trying to achieve, which were set at ridiculously high levels (laymans explanation). It took a very good light and magnifier and a tiny screwdriver and an aching back to get the switches reset, but on restarting the machine the effects were instantly obvious. It was so quiet!

Previously when sitting idle, the big servo motors chattered and grumbled quite loudly, arguing with themselves about which microscopic increment to sit on. It was really quite noisy. Now at idle, it’s virtually silent.

And having done some 2D work making signs and things recently, it seems to be moving more smoothly and rapidly. Nice.

But it’s important to make sure that it hasn’t lost any of its high accuracy, so I’m doing a test 3D cut, using the Angry Bird stabilizer shape. It was rough cut first and then the finish cut (shown in video) is being done with a 4mm flat end mill at an 0.3mm stepover. So far it looks perfect and is running smooth and fast, although I keep the speed down a bit as I suspect the higher speeds are more likely to lead to data jam-ups. I often don’t bother with the vacuum for finishing cuts as it’s not cutting out a lot of material, there’s no dust (only chips) and it’s so much quieter without the vacuum. Occasionally I go out and check it and hand-vaccuum it clean.

The other thing is I’m planning to change over to Mach 4 soon. Development is completed and it’s selling, and it offers a lot of improvements compared to Mach 3 - much faster processing, more responsive and so on. The only thing is that to achieve the degree of change required, it now uses a totally different system so you can’t just import your old Mach 3 settings … you have to set up Mach 4 to the machine from scratch - but Justin is keen to come around and do it as it will be his first Mach 4 setup.

The other problem with Mach 4 is that the plugin for the Warp 9 smooth stepper is still in development, and progress seems to have stalled - and they don’t reply to email queries about it. It’s quite likely that the beta version will work fine, but we won’t know until we try. Thing is it’s not a no-return decision … you can always just go back to Mach 3 if it doesn’t work.

Either way, the machine is nicer to use since the recent tweaks.

Test cut after Gecko drive changes (0 min 25 sec)
AvB is offline Find More Posts by AvB
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 13, 2015, 08:13 PM
AvB
Find More Posts by AvB
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,928 Posts
Pretty incredible result really. Probably the smoothest ever, or certainly as good as. None of those occasional fine stripes. Edge is really sharp too. Nice. This is straight off the machine - no sanding or polishing.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 08:46 PM
Find More Posts by Ezza
DS= -$ & :-)
Byron Bay, Australia
Joined Feb 2006
3,174 Posts
Beautiful, congrats AVB! Looks so smooth!
Ezza is offline Find More Posts by Ezza
Old Apr 13, 2015, 08:51 PM
Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
PB of 733kph
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
5,925 Posts
Fantastic mate!
ALEX HEWSON is offline Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 13, 2015, 09:33 PM
Find More Posts by Larrikin
Everything's A Compromise
Australia, QLD, Elimbah
Joined Jan 2005
1,720 Posts
Very cool, Andrew

A testament to having moulds milled is how quick the Rubicon came together.
Now ... just need to figure out milling fuselages

D.
Larrikin is online now Find More Posts by Larrikin
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The Rubicon
Old Apr 14, 2015, 05:07 AM
Find More Posts by josh18
377 beeatch!
Australia, QLD, Toowoomba
Joined Jan 2010
3,791 Posts
Nice one Andrew
josh18 is offline Find More Posts by josh18
Old Apr 14, 2015, 05:25 AM
AvB
Find More Posts by AvB
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,928 Posts
Dave, there's no issue with milling fuselages - but the challenge is milling them with filleting/ fairing included. It's a combination of good CAD drawing which looks good and achieves the aerodynamic aims, whilst being millable on a 3-axis. Geoff's having a look at one now and we hope to have a crack at it before long.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 05:02 AM
Find More Posts by mrmick77
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Mar 2008
206 Posts
If its easier mate do the fairing as its own part and glue it on later. That way you can fiddle it to suit your taste and if its not right its not a whole fuse or wing mould.
mrmick77 is offline Find More Posts by mrmick77