HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 03, 2009, 12:29 PM
Joined Aug 2006
84 Posts
Discussion
Best way to make an autopilot turn?

I am trying to figure out how to make my autopilot make my plane turn in the best way?

The plane is stabilized with IR-sensors and i have control over rudder, ailerons and elevator.

Will it be enough to roll the plane and keep the nose at the horizon or do i have to keep the nose slightly over the horizon to get more turn rate?

How advanced aileron turns are other autopilots doing?

/Magnus
skogsvargen is offline Find More Posts by skogsvargen
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2009, 02:45 PM
hello
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Nov 2004
229 Posts
What are you trying to turn it in to?
ALtitudeap is offline Find More Posts by ALtitudeap
Old Feb 03, 2009, 03:21 PM
Joined Aug 2006
84 Posts
Well, turning it to a new direction is enough...
Old Feb 03, 2009, 05:05 PM
Nemo in a blender
The Netherlands-Amsterdam
Joined Mar 2007
940 Posts
If your plane is stabilised by a separate IR device (Co-Pilot?),you could use your rudder to point the plane into the new direction.

No need for roll just let it yaw.
Connexxion is offline Find More Posts by Connexxion
Old Feb 04, 2009, 12:09 AM
Joined Aug 2007
1,512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skogsvargen
I am trying to figure out how to make my autopilot make my plane turn in the best way?

The plane is stabilized with IR-sensors and i have control over rudder, ailerons and elevator.

Will it be enough to roll the plane and keep the nose at the horizon or do i have to keep the nose slightly over the horizon to get more turn rate?

How advanced aileron turns are other autopilots doing?

/Magnus
Magnus - yes, you are 100% correct. If you roll the plane away from level and keep the nose merely on the horizon, the plane will turn at some non-zero rate. There is absolutely no need to hold the nose high above horizon. This method is 110% effective, and how the AttoPilot works.

Forget about plane-centric yaw for now. You can add a bit of rudder to make the turn more effective, but honestly you can lock the rudder at neutral, and use only ailerons. The yawing and turn will happen just due to roll angle being skewed to the right or left while keeping the nose up to the horizon. I am not a big fan of using rudder-only to turn. The resulting flat turn (if roll were held flat) are very draggy and inneficient. BTW, I am not a stud aerodynamicist, but I am 90% correct on what I wrote, and it is backed up by 100+ MB of logged flight data on 20+ planes. Some purist might add or partially correct what I wrote.
dmgoedde is offline Find More Posts by dmgoedde
Old Feb 04, 2009, 12:12 AM
Joined Aug 2006
84 Posts
Yes, rudder turns are one way to do it. But this requires an airframe design that response well to rudder. A flying wing, for example has no rudder at all...

/Magnus
Old Feb 04, 2009, 12:23 AM
Moore, Oklahoma
Joined Oct 2004
4,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skogsvargen
Yes, rudder turns are one way to do it. But this requires an airframe design that response well to rudder. A flying wing, for example has no rudder at all...

/Magnus
What aircraft are you flying?

Chris
airmcn_3 is offline Find More Posts by airmcn_3
Old Feb 04, 2009, 03:22 AM
Joined Aug 2006
84 Posts
Thank's Dean. This confirms what i thought. This means that with IR-stabilization i control turnrate by controlling the rollangle.

Chris,
I am mainly flying electric glider with very limited rudder response. However my question was more about turn-algorithms in general.

/Magnus
Old Feb 04, 2009, 05:11 AM
FREEdom!!
Joined Feb 2006
294 Posts
The most "efficient" turn that I know of is a roll based turn with little to no yaw. That means that you need to know yaw, which IR does not give you. Assuming you have an IR-only system, then your best bet is just to follow Dean's advice, as this will give you your best bet for good turn.
Buzz_Lightyear is offline Find More Posts by Buzz_Lightyear