HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 10, 2007, 11:20 AM
Gravity is just a theory.
Nuevo Mexico
Joined Jul 2004
188 Posts
Build Log
Goldberg Falcon 56 build

I inherited this project from a friend who rescued it from a storage locker; it was in a pile of stuff headed for the dumpster. It was a basket case: a mangled pile of balsa and dust, yellowed plans, total chaos. The first impulse was just to chuck it, but I took some time to inventory the parts. It turned out that everything was there except one wing tip blank; that's easy enough to fabricate. So I patched the plan, photocopied sections of it for build use, and here's the result so far. The monster is fully framed up, and awaits control surface hinging, radio gear, engine install, and covering.

It's a beast. I've never built a "big gas" machine in the past, so it's been an adventure. Gotta say that the quality of the die cutting and the wood used in the kit is superb. Glad I didn't pitch it. I hope to have it done by early spring. A buddy of mine who flies big gas will maiden it.
Capt Crash is offline Find More Posts by Capt Crash
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2007, 04:56 PM
Stankromfols
Valley Springs, CA
Joined Jun 2006
797 Posts
The Falcon 56

Did you build it 3 or 4 channel? I built a couple Falcon 56's back in the 70's,and when I got back in RC last year managed to snag two Falcon 56 kits off E-Bay, one was the original Falcon 56 and the other was the Falcon 56 III. The first one I built according to the plans and put an OS .40 LA in it. It flew well and would loop and roll if the nose was pointed up at full power. I build the second as a tail dragger, with dual aileron servos and an OS .46 AX to pull it. It flew great!! I managed to pull the wings off it in flight, but still have the first Falcon 56, which now has an OS .46 LA in the nose. I've recently converted it to dual aileron servos.

The Falcon 56 is a great second plane, and if you have someone to buddy box with it can easily be your first plane. I think you'll love it and wish you the very best of flying with it.

As you can see, I screwed up on the first build and put the servo at top of the wing instead of under it. Looked horrible, but flew just fine. I've since changed that.

Stan
SKromfols is offline Find More Posts by SKromfols
Old Dec 10, 2007, 10:27 PM
Gravity is just a theory.
Nuevo Mexico
Joined Jul 2004
188 Posts
This Falcon is going together as the 4 channel version. It's the Mark II with the uprated wing. After building the wing, I'm impressed with the self-jigging aspects of the design; it's a rugged piece of structure. I need to tape and epoxy the ends of the joiners and do the sheeting, and install the ailerons.
Capt Crash is offline Find More Posts by Capt Crash
Old Dec 10, 2007, 11:00 PM
I meant to do that
Eagle Mountain, Utah
Joined Jul 2004
1,423 Posts
hey capt where in new mexico are you?
I used to live near farmington.
littlewing78 is offline Find More Posts by littlewing78
Old Dec 11, 2007, 08:53 AM
Stankromfols
Valley Springs, CA
Joined Jun 2006
797 Posts
I don't think you'll have any problem building this model. Carl Goldberg did a good job of designing his kits, they all seemed to build well and fly great. Building this should be a fun experience and you'll love flying it. Keep us posted on your progress.
SKromfols is offline Find More Posts by SKromfols
Old Dec 08, 2008, 01:13 PM
Joined Oct 2008
6 Posts
Falcon III

Last month I completed building a Carl Goldberg's Falcon III which, as far as I know, is what the Falcon 56 evolved to. I have seen pictures of the later and I do not find much of a difference between them. Perhaps the most noticable distinction is the way the wings are attached to the fuselage. The Falcon 56 uses rubber bands while the Falcon III uses screws. Anyway, I wanted to share some pics with you. This is the only model I have ever built and I am still in the process of learning how to fly. This is why I had to ask for some help connecting the control surfaces and installing the engine. As it ended up being quite simple I think next time I will do it solo. The Falcon III became airborne last saturday and after two trim flights and a demo one its building process has been declared mechanically complete. I still have to decide how to decorate it.

My limited knowledge and experience building and flying models made me think that the Falcon III was too nose heavy. The first flight showed this was a wrong perception. I carefully followed the plans during the building stage and still today I have no idea of how to make this airplane tail heavy without purposely adding water or sand bags to the tail. A very skilled and helpful guy, Salvador Barrios, assisted me trimming the airplane during the first two flights and demonstrating its capabilities during the third one. Minor adjustment to the elevator was done after the first flight to ensure a leveled flight without requiring too much elevator control. That bird flies beautifully!!! Salvador made the Falcon perform several manouvers including rolls, loops and hammers that only increased my desire to become an RC pilot. Unfortunally I was so absort that I forgot to take pictures during flight and landing. Next weekend I will try taking some more to post them here (time permitting).

Overall, I am quite pleased with the Falcon III. The kit was easy to assembly and the airplane performs very well.

Cheers,
EcoBravo is offline Find More Posts by EcoBravo
Last edited by EcoBravo; Dec 08, 2008 at 04:12 PM.
Old Sep 06, 2009, 04:52 PM
Joined Nov 2007
2 Posts
falcon 56 planes

hi does anyone out there have plans for the falcon 56 :
The rug bug is offline Find More Posts by The rug bug