HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 25, 2013, 06:22 PM
Joined Feb 2013
318 Posts
Bad news, lost it

9/25/13 Got in some strong lift and then got blown downwind. Couldn't get it back and lost it. Think it is stuck in a tree in some dense growth. Don't expect to get it back.
George Franklin is offline Find More Posts by George Franklin
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2013, 06:51 PM
Joined Oct 2004
501 Posts
They never come down as far away as you think they are , you'll find it .
jetmaven is offline Find More Posts by jetmaven
Old Sep 25, 2013, 09:22 PM
United States, HI, Waimea
Joined Feb 2013
443 Posts
Did you get a sight line on it? That is to say, did you see a landmark in the background so you know in which direction it came down? If you can leave a landmark where you were standing (parked car, painter's pole with a flag on top, etc.) you should be able to walk your line and try to spot it.

If your sight line is interrupted by buildings/roads/etc. you can sometimes use Google Earth to pick out additional landmarks along your line, and additional entry/exit points from which to re-start your search on the other side of the obstruction.

Hate to see you lose your plane if there's even a remote chance to get it back.

Tom

P.S. I used this technique, a kite, and a camera to locate a battery that had fallen out of my plane. I wound up having to throw some image processing at the photographs to pick out the color of the shrink wrap around the battery, but the technique did work. I managed to recover it.
benedict is offline Find More Posts by benedict
Old Sep 26, 2013, 06:19 AM
Joined Feb 2013
318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by benedict View Post
Did you get a sight line on it? That is to say, did you see a landmark in the background so you know in which direction it came down? If you can leave a landmark where you were standing (parked car, painter's pole with a flag on top, etc.) you should be able to walk your line and try to spot it.

If your sight line is interrupted by buildings/roads/etc. you can sometimes use Google Earth to pick out additional landmarks along your line, and additional entry/exit points from which to re-start your search on the other side of the obstruction.

Hate to see you lose your plane if there's even a remote chance to get it back.

Tom

P.S. I used this technique, a kite, and a camera to locate a battery that had fallen out of my plane. I wound up having to throw some image processing at the photographs to pick out the color of the shrink wrap around the battery, but the technique did work. I managed to recover it.
Appreciate the thoughts. There are baseball field lights just beyond where it went down so I have a pretty good line on where it went down. The line of site on Google shows a dense area of brush, vines and trees. Tried to walk into it and it is just not possible. If it went down beyond that dense area then the area it is open and somebody must have grabbed it. Possible, but I am thinking it is gone either way. I am building another glider with much better performance hopefully and it will probably fly within a week or so. Going to order another Thermal Scout today for the new one.

Now to something far more positive from Joe Petro

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...2000698&page=2

This post details a Thermal Scout and 49 MHz baby monitor transmitter. Joe did 1 solder to the PCB. The other 2 solders were wire to wire. (Might be a way to do this all wire to wire by using the included charger connector as many of us hate to solder to PCBs.) Price is right on this solution and this baby monitor is readily available at WalMart. There were 5 on the shelf yesterday when I bought mine at the local not so super WalMart. That is what will go in the new glider along with a Thermal Scout that I just ordered and has already been shipped. This may be a better solution than anything we have seen so far and with 4 channels available. It would probably work with the Arduino/barometer too. I am going to try to use the provided antennas first and check range.

9/26/13 Afternoon. Joe replied to my question regarding whether I could solder wire to wire using the connector snipped from one of the 2 included charging units. This makes it possible for all of the soldering to be wire to wire on the baby monitor transmitter. That will undoubtedly make a lot of people happy.

9/27/13 Set the my Spirit glider in the front yard and then walked down the street until it was about as visible as the Glider that went down. Used that to estimate the distance to where the glider went down. That estimate is much less than I thought previously. Tromped around that wooded area where I think it is. Very dense vegetation. Saw where a homeless guy used to camp. Lots of junk and trash all over the area. The guy from the local hobby shop came and helped look but neither of us found it. There is some poison oak in the area. Came home and showered and put everything in the laundry. I have scratches on my arms and legs through the long sleeve shirt and genuine Levis.
09/28/13 Looking like rain so I tried searching one more time. Tiger skeeters 'bout carried me off. Stayed away from the poison oak but got plenty of stickle burrs. Did drag out a good 5 gallon bucket from way back in there but no luck otherwise.
Last edited by George Franklin; Sep 28, 2013 at 01:58 PM.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 08:21 PM
Joined Feb 2013
318 Posts
Operational this evening with a Thermal Scout and a baby monitor 49 MHz system. See Joe Petros post 3rd page for what I did.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...2000698&page=3

See his page 2 for how he put his together. Very simple and cheap with all parts readily available.
Took about and hour and half total to put it together. All wire to wire solders.

9/30/13 Called the local Jump pilot. Might get a ride this afternoon for a look see.
Got that ride. Took some hi res photos but the binoculars were too shaky to do any good. Did not see anything that looked like my glider.
Conclusion would be it either went "lawn dart" when it hit that dense area or some body grabbed it. I have walked all over that dense area. All I have to show for that is mosquito bites stickle burrs and scratches from some serious thorns. It just doesn't seem possible for a 2 meter sailplane to penetrate that arboreal canopy.
Posted some lost sign around the area. Talked to the maintenance people over at the high school. They hadn't seen it but that had seen me flying it previously. They thought it was interesting flying.
Last edited by George Franklin; Oct 07, 2013 at 06:08 PM.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 12:09 AM
Joined Oct 2009
48 Posts
Hi George,
please help me.
I built the variometer with a arduino pro micro and connected the ms5611 to the sda and scl and changed the code like you described to pin 4. I connected a buzzer (KPEG 006) to the pin 4 but I don't get any sound out of it.
I try to built a standalone variometer without RF link, so with an onboard speaker/buzzer.
Johnsn93 is offline Find More Posts by Johnsn93
Last edited by Johnsn93; Oct 13, 2013 at 01:02 AM.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 06:19 AM
Joined Feb 2013
318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsn93 View Post
Hi George,
please help me.
I built the variometer with a arduino pro micro and connected the ms5611 to the sda and scl and changed the code like you described to pin 4. I connected a buzzer (KPEG 006) to the pin 4 but I don't get any sound out of it.
I try to built a standalone variometer without RF link, so with an onboard speaker/buzzer.
Did you get a good load on your code. You can see in the diagnostics screen when you get a good load.
Check to make sure your SCL and SDA are not crossed. I assume you grounded your speaker. Check to make sure it's wires are not crossed. Some of these devises won't work wired backwards.
I was not able to find the KPEG 006 so I am not sure if this is compatible or not. I did mine with a headphone jack. I know that works.

11/1/13 Still haven't got my Arduino from Deal Extreme. At this point I don't expect it.
Last edited by George Franklin; Nov 01, 2013 at 06:52 AM.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 03:41 PM
200 mph club
United States, AZ, Fort Mohave
Joined Mar 2005
858 Posts
I have several Thermal Scouts what would someone charge me to make one into a standalone audio variometer. I am not good with electronics. PM if you are interested in doing one.
r/cmark is online now Find More Posts by r/cmark
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FrSky Taranis misc stuff
Old Nov 15, 2013, 03:52 PM
Joined Feb 2013
318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by r/cmark View Post
I have several Thermal Scouts what would someone charge me to make one into a standalone audio variometer. I am not good with electronics. PM if you are interested in doing one.
Suggest you look at this:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2000698

Not really that hard to do. No PCB solders required, strictly wire to wire for me.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 07:15 PM
Joined Oct 2004
501 Posts
Just follow what George suggests , it works and its a no brainer .
Thanks again George . You are the Man .
jetmaven is offline Find More Posts by jetmaven
Old Nov 15, 2013, 07:43 PM
200 mph club
United States, AZ, Fort Mohave
Joined Mar 2005
858 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Franklin View Post
Suggest you look at this:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2000698

Not really that hard to do. No PCB solders required, strictly wire to wire for me.
Thanks George, I looked at that thread. I could not build one and am will to pay someone to do it! Any takers? Thanks!!
r/cmark is online now Find More Posts by r/cmark
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FrSky Taranis misc stuff