HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 18, 2012, 05:02 PM
United States, CA, Los Alamitos
Joined Jan 2011
956 Posts
Discussion
Maverick Reloaded

Well finally getting to painting my old Maverick. I've been sanding for a year it seems. Changed ducting, size it up to 120mm since I was flying with a 110mm TJ. Really want to see this bird airborne again. Wanted to update the scheme and also glassed all the wing, stab, vertical. It's been a ride on this project. Well I'll be putting on the next few colors in the next few days since I want to give 24 hrs between masking and painting. White, Gray, Red, and Black are all colors of the scheme.
jefffassbinder is offline Find More Posts by jefffassbinder
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old May 19, 2012, 07:43 PM
Joined Jan 2011
956 Posts
Layer 2 Loaded

Here is the next color going down. Masking takes forever. Well starting look like a Maverick again. Be nice to get airborne again soon.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 19, 2012, 09:08 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1,048 Posts
Nice Jeff! Lemme know if you ever wanna sell it

S
smaze17 is offline Find More Posts by smaze17
Old May 19, 2012, 09:20 PM
Da' Cajun
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2009
2,844 Posts
Cool Jeff.

What's up with that "F-105" on the projects board?
Boogie_ is offline Find More Posts by Boogie_
Old May 20, 2012, 01:32 AM
Joined Jan 2011
956 Posts
Waiting for the paint to gas out, PPG

Well thanks for the comments. As for the F-105 it's on the backburner. If I can just keep from having maintenance and paint jobs I'll get to it. I really want to get that project going again soon. As another project came my way a 100. Well once I have the Maverick done I will finish up my Panther and then I hope if all goes well get back on track to the F105.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 20, 2012, 10:52 AM
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,008 Posts
which f100???....
turbonut is online now Find More Posts by turbonut
Old May 20, 2012, 02:14 PM
Da' Cajun
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2009
2,844 Posts
which f105???....
Boogie_ is offline Find More Posts by Boogie_
Old May 20, 2012, 02:35 PM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,829 Posts
which sink???...
strictlyscale is online now Find More Posts by strictlyscale
Old May 20, 2012, 03:02 PM
Bakersfield, CA
Joined Sep 2003
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by strictlyscale View Post
which sink???...
LMAO Sean

I was wondering what backyard rocks

remember Jeff, its all about the turduckin on Thanksgiving
its all in the prepwork

good work amigo
tburley is offline Find More Posts by tburley
Old May 21, 2012, 07:38 PM
Joined Jan 2011
956 Posts
Another Coat

Well as for F-100 and F-105 the 105 is from Century 120mm sized jet. The F-100 is a JHH kit no longer in production 120mm size. This falls in the form of scratch as the kit is just a fuselage, wings, stabs, and dorsal all need to be made. I have 3 views at size. Should be a good 90-120 size candidate.

Maverick is almost ready for some black. Then it will start to look a little more finished. But not to bad for my first shot a the PPG route.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 22, 2012, 12:45 PM
Joined Jan 2011
956 Posts
More paint

Well I've got to get to black today but here is what I have for now. I've hand cut some lettering for the Mav. Once I get the black on it will be hardware installation. And getting the Radio setup. Check my battery locations and the new TJ-120mm.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 23, 2012, 01:01 AM
Joined Jan 2011
956 Posts
Almost time for airlines and fan

Well I've shot the black and now need one more color base on the canopy area. Next is replace all airlines just to start fresh. Also check all wiring and clean the install just a bit. Hook up the nose door and mount the fan. Check battery placement as I'm using different batteries on this one.

Well I think for my first time out with PPG it came out alright. Just need to lay it down thinker on the second pass. Afraid of running but that didn't happen with the PPG. I've not have that kind of luck with other paints. So I'm happy with the result and the new look. Once I get it sitting on it's mains ready for flight I will see how it looks in the finish form.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 23, 2012, 08:46 AM
Bakersfield, CA
Joined Sep 2003
140 Posts
looks awsume Jeff
tburley is offline Find More Posts by tburley
Old May 23, 2012, 11:22 AM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
7,904 Posts
Looks awesome! is it base coat/clear coat or is base and clear all in one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffassbinder View Post
Well I've shot the black and now need one more color base on the canopy area. Next is replace all airlines just to start fresh. Also check all wiring and clean the install just a bit. Hook up the nose door and mount the fan. Check battery placement as I'm using different batteries on this one.

Well I think for my first time out with PPG it came out alright. Just need to lay it down thinker on the second pass. Afraid of running but that didn't happen with the PPG. I've not have that kind of luck with other paints. So I'm happy with the result and the new look. Once I get it sitting on it's mains ready for flight I will see how it looks in the finish form.
Tumbler is offline Find More Posts by Tumbler
Old May 23, 2012, 01:16 PM
Joined Jan 2011
956 Posts
Paint

This is a single stage paint 3 part PPG. But I don't have any clear applied at all. But it is pretty glossy as it sits now. I'm pretty happy with the result which took me a bit of time to do since I'm no paint pro. To be honest painting is the most scary time, I can sand for days and get the shape. But when it comes down to laying paint oh man I just want to leave the house and fly. It where the tire meets the road.
RCG Plus Member