HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 21, 2012, 05:38 AM
CaptainScott
Joined Feb 2012
28 Posts
Discussion
Fiberglass help

Hello everybody, I ordered my plans from Don yesterday (Linda Jo) and getting a material list going.I see that most are glassing the hull, with what? 2 oz cloth? This is my first model boat so I'm sure I will have plenty of questions. Thanks any advice will be appreciated.
captainscott is offline Find More Posts by captainscott
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2012, 06:06 AM
Near Fleetwood, lancashire, UK
Joined Jun 2009
1,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainscott View Post
Hello everybody, I ordered my plans from Don yesterday (Linda Jo) and getting a material list going.I see that most are glassing the hull, with what? 2 oz cloth? This is my first model boat so I'm sure I will have plenty of questions. Thanks any advice will be appreciated.
2oz cloth is far too heavy if you are just glassing inside a POF hull.....you'd find it very hard to lay between and over the frames it is so thick.
You'd be better with a couple of layers of surface tissue and resin.it's a thin gossomer type feel to it and gives (as it says) a very fine and clean surface.
neil.
nhp651 is offline Find More Posts by nhp651
Old Feb 21, 2012, 09:18 AM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,066 Posts
Most of us 'glass the outside, and for that, 2 oz (woven not mat) is great.
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Feb 21, 2012, 12:39 PM
Joined Jun 2009
1,219 Posts
far too much work for me to rub down putting it on the outside Pat, especially chopped strand at 2oz weight. I'll stick to glassing a wooden hull on the inside, thanks.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 01:00 PM
CaptainScott
Joined Feb 2012
28 Posts
Yes that's what I am planning glass the outside
captainscott is offline Find More Posts by captainscott
Old Feb 21, 2012, 01:53 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,066 Posts
But nhp, model boating is ALL about work!

Actually, this makes me think about another possible technique, wonder if anyone has tried this:

- Two planking layers, with glass in between

Where have we seen this? Well, Elco double-planked their PT boat hulls, and sandwiched a layer of glue-soaked canvas in between.

And the now defunct (I think) Equipage fixed their exploding model boat hull problem with a layer of glass in between two planked layers.

Benefits of doing this?
1. Only rough sanding of the fiberglass layer is needed... no need to take it to a perfect finish.
2. Still serves the function of avoiding leakage should planks shrink a bit.
3. Still serves the function of toughening the hull against bumps.
4. More easily allows for visible plank lines, should you want to do this for scale appearance.

Whaddya think?
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Feb 21, 2012, 03:41 PM
Joined Jun 2009
1,219 Posts
a very interesting concept Pat.......I don't think though that I could work to that precission to get a sheet of grp in between two layers of timber planks without a lot of sanding.......and I always say why make work for yourself if you can find an easier solution.
neil.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 04:02 PM
Boaters are nice people.
Sneek, Netherlands.
Joined May 2004
4,503 Posts
Hi Neil,

I don't think Pat has a sheet in mind, but just a layer of glasscloth and epoxy.

I do agree with Pat, modelboatbuilding strongly resembles work..., but I like it more than my day job.

With a little planning, glassing a hull doesn't take a lot of time, it's the curing of the resin that takes much longer...:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1551192

Regards, Jan.
pompebled is offline Find More Posts by pompebled
Old Feb 21, 2012, 04:07 PM
Joined Jun 2009
1,219 Posts
I didn't mean a sheet as such, but I call a leaf of paper a sheet.....suppose it's just my way of saying a "layer of"
Old Feb 21, 2012, 05:07 PM
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2011
59 Posts
I just glassed my first boat kit using Pacer Z-poxy resin and Sig 1.5 oz/sqyd cloth. You can see pictures of my build under the build log titled, "Garwood Speedster - My first kit".
heavymeasure is offline Find More Posts by heavymeasure