HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 16, 2012, 09:30 PM
United States, GA, Acworth
Joined Mar 2011
4,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irg View Post
I once put four flights on the 89 using on the wheel pants to retain the wheel one one side (lost a collar). not recommended but it worked fine ;-)

someone a while back suggested foregoing the stock axles and using a bolt and some lock nuts. I plan on going this route eventually myself.
from my understanding, at least with the smaller planes is that using a threaded axle chews up the wheel hubs very quick
shadow102 is online now Find More Posts by shadow102
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 16, 2012, 09:33 PM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,615 Posts
hmmm, yeah, that would make sense. maybe the guy from the 89 thread had a better solution. I'll see if I can find it.
Irg is online now Find More Posts by Irg
Old Mar 16, 2012, 09:36 PM
Joined Mar 2011
4,247 Posts
yeah i know its one of the huge complaints on the ultimate AMR i have, they used screws for the axles and within 4-5 flights the wheels wobble really bad, switching of to the 3dhs axles this weekend because of it
Old Mar 16, 2012, 09:38 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
24,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow102 View Post
yeah i know its one of the huge complaints on the ultimate AMR i have, they used screws for the axles and within 4-5 flights the wheels wobble really bad, switching of to the 3dhs axles this weekend because of it
Better off to switch the AMR to a 3DHS "plane" instead of just switching the axle..

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Mar 16, 2012, 09:50 PM
Joined Mar 2011
4,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveTtoooo View Post
Better off to switch the AMR to a 3DHS "plane" instead of just switching the axle..

SteveT
personally i will never buy another PA plane...BUT the AMR is and absolutely awesome plane, doesn't fly like a PA plane at all and flies like a 3dhs plane
Old Mar 16, 2012, 09:58 PM
HIBDON FOR PRESIDENT !!
Modesto, CA
Joined Nov 2006
3,034 Posts
Quote:
hmmm, yeah, that would make sense. maybe the guy from the 89 thread had a better solution. I'll see if I can find it.
Dot on pant

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by goflyhighrc
Bill -

Whats the "dot" on the outside wheel pant? Is it part of the axle?

That's actually a hole. I use Socket Head screws with washers and lock nuts instead of regular axles and collars. Using them for couple of years without problems. No more wheels falling off for me! So the hole allows me to tighten the screw.

And yes I know about grinding a flat spot on the axle and all that.

Bill

56.4 KB Views: 54
goflyhighrc is online now Find More Posts by goflyhighrc
Old Mar 16, 2012, 10:00 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
24,902 Posts
Let's just let it go at I pretty much hate Steve Evans and P.A....

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Mar 16, 2012, 10:04 PM
Joined Mar 2011
4,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveTtoooo View Post
Let's just let it go at I pretty much hate Steve Evans and P.A....

SteveT
yeah havent heard a whole lot of good about them, I just didnt like the way their planes flew, way too light and the covering/constructions was never on par with 3dhs (and EF from what i have been told and will soon be experiencing)
Old Mar 16, 2012, 10:04 PM
Aerobatic Fanatic
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Sep 2007
2,856 Posts
I mistyped earlier that the axles are bigger than 3/16" diameter because the 3/16" collars don't fit them but have never looked for collars in any other place than a LHS. I had a 450 helicopter main shaft collar laying around and it slightly too small and its 5mm ID.

Once I get the right size collar I think I'll be good to go for the weekend. I think a flat spot for the set screw w/blue thread lock and green threadlock on the axle to collar will hold it really well. I don't mind changing it to something different afterward but still trying to figure out "goflyhighrc" earlier post about a DOT.
HugoCraft is offline Find More Posts by HugoCraft
Old Mar 16, 2012, 10:26 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Groveport, OH...USA
Joined Nov 2010
9,999 Posts
there was a dot in a pic on the outside of the wheelpant for access to the bolt
aronph is offline Find More Posts by aronph
Old Mar 16, 2012, 11:39 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
19,912 Posts
Quote:
I once put four flights on the 89 using on the wheel pants to retain the wheel one one side (lost a collar). not recommended but it worked fine ;-)

someone a while back suggested foregoing the stock axles and using a bolt and some lock nuts. I plan on going this route eventually myself.
another fun thing... instead of the usual grub screws, use regular 3mm hex head bolts... can torque down tighter with the 3/32" driver instead of the small 1.5mm driver. also, put tygon on the outside of the axle holding the collar... wont be coming off.
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Mar 17, 2012, 07:40 AM
Aerobatic Fanatic
Joined Sep 2007
2,856 Posts
I dug and found my old burnt up torque motor for the 51" slick and the collar on the back of it fits the axle perfect! I'll have the 87shp tearing up the sky tomorrow.

but going to the field now with the 51", then work, then maybe more electric flying until sunset. Then get the 87shp ready tonight.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 08:25 AM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,900 Posts
Speaking of covering on 3DHS. I am starting to think this stuff is military grade!!

I remember cutting out slots and servo on my 40" edge and V2 shp and it was easy.

Now I use a hot knife to cut the slots as the covering job has become so damned good!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow102 View Post
yeah havent heard a whole lot of good about them, I just didnt like the way their planes flew, way too light and the covering/constructions was never on par with 3dhs (and EF from what i have been told and will soon be experiencing)
going4speed is offline Find More Posts by going4speed
Old Mar 17, 2012, 11:35 AM
Aerobatic Fanatic
Joined Sep 2007
2,856 Posts
I took these pics the other day. I'm amazed how the crashed then fixed 51" slick flys.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 12:17 PM
HIBDON FOR PRESIDENT !!
Modesto, CA
Joined Nov 2006
3,034 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugocraft View Post
Lost a wheel collar on the 87shp and didn't know until after I landed. The wheel pant kept the wheel on. I got some 5/16" wheel collars but they almost fit. I think the axle is 8mm which I don't think dubro or great planes doesnt make. I tried to drill out one of the collars but I took out too much. Guess I need an 8mm drill bit.

I ordered some new sulivan 4" wheels w/ alum hubs from the lhs but they won't be in until monday but have no clue what size the hole will be on those. I'm just trying to get it ready to fly for the weekend. I picked up some 5/16" wheel axles which work great with the collars I have but shaft is pretty small for the wheels already on the plane. Also those axles won't work with the wheel pants since the bolt on part/threads are not long enough.

Seems like it would be a good idea to drill a hole in the axle and use a cotter pin to keep wheel collar from falling off, similar to this pic of a Seacraft tail wheel.
goflyhighrc is online now Find More Posts by goflyhighrc
Last edited by goflyhighrc; Mar 17, 2012 at 12:54 PM.