HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 21, 2012, 05:35 PM
cheapskate extroardinairé
United States, CA, Marin
Joined Jul 2011
1,041 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry__ View Post
Sounds interesting, I might try a bit of urban soaring myself.
for urban soaring, i like to go to my friends apartment on a windy day, go to the roof of the building, and chuck my alula off it. i fly along the lip of the roof, getting tons of lift from the updrafts.
baconflyer is online now Find More Posts by baconflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2012, 06:27 AM
United Kingdom, England, Oxford
Joined Feb 2012
27 Posts
metrc/inches

My local model warehouse is about 3 miles away, and the delivery date for the ASK 21 is about 3 months away, so I started wondering, what size box I would need to protect the model in storage between flights, and what scale it is, so perhaps I could look for a couple of scale people to fly it. The real ASK is 17m and a stupid amount of feet and inches, !7 m seemed the easy option for scale conversion, so I checked the E flite web site for metric wingspan, 860mm for the approx 33 inch wingspan. Not a problem , and no, I still haven't worked out the scale yet. Just been called into work. Any thoughts on scale pilots for this?, Please
VARSITY is offline Find More Posts by VARSITY
Last edited by VARSITY; Feb 22, 2012 at 07:00 AM.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 07:57 AM
Beaumont, TX
Joined Feb 2007
1,316 Posts
Using your figures for the wing, it works out to about 1/20th scale ( 1/19.76744 if you want it more exact )
Pete Miller is offline Find More Posts by Pete Miller
Old Feb 22, 2012, 08:40 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VARSITY View Post
My local model warehouse is about 3 miles away, and the delivery date for the ASK 21 is about 3 months away, so I started wondering, what size box I would need to protect the model in storage between flights,
Normally, all ultra micro from HH come in their own carrying box. This one has a huge wingspan, but hopefully still come in one of those great box!
RealGambler is online now Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Feb 22, 2012, 12:06 PM
United Kingdom, England, Oxford
Joined Feb 2012
27 Posts
Hi Pete, and RG, thanks for that, one twentieth is near enough "Huge" wingspan yes everything is relative, it will fit easily in the boot (trunk), unlike my rifle case, now to check on scale instructors and trainees
VARSITY is offline Find More Posts by VARSITY
Old Feb 26, 2012, 05:29 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,415 Posts
Hmmm, with the WRAM show going on, anybody saw the ASK in a box? The more I think about this, the more I'm curious about it. How does it fit? Box must be huge? Or is it like usual, and only airplanes were shown, not the boxes?
Old Feb 26, 2012, 05:48 AM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
6,974 Posts
The ASK-21 is hanging from some threads, no boxes in sight for any of the models unless some vendor is selling them, which doesn't include either the C Cub or the ASK.

It looks great. I am a total glider fanatic since about my third flight in a full scale sailplane and I am really looking forward to this plane.

I just bought a DX8 at the show (and an mQX, which is getting LOTS of airtime in my hotel room and for me the next big thing will be if somebody makes a telemetry reporting vario for tha ASK.

Sooner or later we'll have gear like that, but I really hope it's sooner. I also hope they keep making scale gliders.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some Books About Flying
Old Feb 26, 2012, 06:54 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSchug View Post
The ASK-21 is hanging from some threads, no boxes in sight for any of the models unless some vendor is selling them, which doesn't include either the C Cub or the ASK.

It looks great. I am a total glider fanatic since about my third flight in a full scale sailplane and I am really looking forward to this plane.

I just bought a DX8 at the show (and an mQX, which is getting LOTS of airtime in my hotel room and for me the next big thing will be if somebody makes a telemetry reporting vario for tha ASK.

Sooner or later we'll have gear like that, but I really hope it's sooner. I also hope they keep making scale gliders.

Pete
Thanks for the info about the box... Did you save some money by buying the DX8 at the show?
Old Feb 26, 2012, 07:43 AM
Joined Apr 2004
6,974 Posts
Most of the vendors discount stuff and, like anywhere else most will not collect tax if you pay cash. I did not pay cash for the DX8, but the saving was worth it even though I paid tax.

If I get a chance I will take some photos today. The booths are often crowded so taking decent pictures is not always possible.

Pete
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 26, 2012, 11:50 AM
Joined Apr 2004
6,974 Posts
I asked about the packaging.

There are four screws holding the wing on. It goes into a long skinny box with the wing separated from the fuse. Sounds reasonable.

Pete
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 26, 2012, 12:13 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,586 Posts
Congrats with your DX8! I've had mine for a few months with the Telemetry Module in my Radian Pro and I LOVE IT!! I'd LOVE to have telemetry in the ASK-21!! Having that Flight Pack Voltage is such a useful piece of information!! I can not wait for May for the glider to come out!! And thanks for info regarding the box!
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
Old Feb 26, 2012, 12:13 PM
down & out
Joined Dec 2006
196 Posts
Quote:

There are four screws holding the wing on. It goes into a long skinny box with the wing separated from the fuse. Sounds reasonable.

Pete
So it seems as if the box (size/shape) for the ASK will be unlike all of the other UM boxes we have had in the past?

Can you ask if it comes with a handle?

LOL j/k
camperfan is offline Find More Posts by camperfan
Old Feb 26, 2012, 02:04 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,415 Posts
Quote:

Pete
Thank you very much for asking! Not crazy about the four screw and likely some connectors to plug/unplug unless the wires are long enough to put the wing and fuse in the box without disconnecting anything, but no matter what, this airplane is too sweet and there was probably no way around that.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 03:59 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
Not crazy about the four screw and likely some connectors to plug/unplug unless the wires are long enough to put the wing and fuse in the box without disconnecting anything, but no matter what, this airplane is too sweet and there was probably no way around that.
Don't know why I didn't think of that either as far as plug/unplug since I have the Radian Pro??? If you look at Image 7 on the HH site or Image 6 on the E-flite site, two out of the 4 screws are visible. And you can also see the AIL plugs you'll have to plug/unplug when you transport her to/from your flying spot. Like you said, too sweet & no way around it, I still can not wait for this micro!!!
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
Old Feb 26, 2012, 04:55 PM
United States, CT, Waterbury
Joined Oct 2002
1,607 Posts
Just saw the ASK at the WRAM RC show.. It was VERY nice looking. The wings are very thin and long, and look VERY delicate. It does look like it will soar pretty good though..

I also saw the CC. It was smaller than I thought it would be, but also very good looking.

The Mig.. That one I just pre-ordered because it was awesome looking. I asked if I could buy the show model but got denied. hahaa.. Said it was only one of a few in the world. Sick lookin little bird.
TurboRacer is online now Find More Posts by TurboRacer