HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 09, 2012, 01:13 PM
Near Aberystwyth - Wales
Joined Aug 2004
2,115 Posts
Quick charging on Lipo's means anything over 1C (charging at the capacity of battery), for the V911 cells that means over 120mA or 130mA depending on battery type.

The Charger that comes with the Heli must charge at 2C (240ma or there abouts) to charge your batteries in approx half and hour.

The only lipo's i have for my various fixed wing aircraft that get charged at 2C sometimes are LoongMax Tipples which are rated for 5C charge, although i dont charge at that to prolong life.

When i charge my heli batteries on proper charger i charge 4 in parallel at 200mA, the charger always drops to to lower level as batteries near 3/4 charge in any case.

Reduction in flight time may mean your motor is on the way out, does it get hot, on mine main motor stays cool to touch and tail motor barley warm, stays cold if fly outdoors. Could even be hairs on shaft producing drag.
Del-Dredd is offline Find More Posts by Del-Dredd
Last edited by Del-Dredd; Apr 09, 2012 at 01:18 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 09, 2012, 01:21 PM
my precious Corter
Joined Jan 2012
252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SG Mason Knives View Post
Right now I am thinking that instead of a larger fix pitch heli I am going to step up to a large CP heli. Namely the Chaos 600 with belt driven tail. Quite the size step up I know, but it will be able to handle the wind conditions we seem to keep getting down here by the river.
IMHO 600 parts can be a bit expensive for a learning heli.
Why don't you get something like 450GT from HK, they are dirty cheap.
You can buy 2 for a bit more then 100$, have one for spares.
For another 80$ you can equip the bird, you can even go budget and get a flying 450 for under 100$ !
600 is way more expensive.
Anyway I took the way I recommended to you, one 450 is gonna be in the air next week, just waiting for the pinion and connectors
madmito is offline Find More Posts by madmito
Old Apr 09, 2012, 01:24 PM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1993 View Post
toy chargers that are little more than a resistor and diode
Buy a V911 and open up the charger. You will find more than a resistor and diode.

Then you have USB voltage which is a regulated +5 volts. The battery charges to 4.2 volts - you are not going to cook a battery with that little voltage difference.

Inside the USB plug may be where they hid your resistor and diode.
Ribble is offline Find More Posts by Ribble
Old Apr 09, 2012, 01:24 PM
Portugal, Lisbon
Joined Jan 2012
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmito View Post
For another 80$ you can equip the bird, you can even go budget and get a flying 450 for under 100$ !
Anyway I took the way I recommended to you, one 450 is gonna be in the air next week, just waiting for the pinion and connectors
How I agree, I have also purchased a 450, and am learning to hover all over again!

So far 5 lipos down, only 1 crash, nothing broken yet...
chilaspt is offline Find More Posts by chilaspt
Old Apr 09, 2012, 01:32 PM
Joined Jan 2012
75 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dombokfelett View Post
Hi,
After the fist week I realize that the batteries last only 2/3rd of the original capacity/flight time.
First week I can fly about 5-6 min with the original WL batteries and 4-5 min with Turnigy ones. Now the WL last only 3-4 min.
I use the same copter and I think I fly the same manner/intensity.

Any idea what is going on? Have anyone noticed the same?

Thanks
Are you letting your batteries cool down after each flight. With Lipo's you should give them at least 15 minutes minimum before recharging. Lipo's will reduce in time if they are charged while still warm.
new rc heli is offline Find More Posts by new rc heli
Old Apr 09, 2012, 01:33 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
5,622 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribble View Post
Buy a V911 and open up the charger. You will find more than a resistor and diode.
i havent dismantles mine yet and its at home atm. i dont suppose there is a photo or link available showing one? id be surprised if there was anything else in the actual charge circuit on any low cost heli.

Quote:
Then you have USB voltage which is a regulated +5 volts. The battery charges to 4.2 volts - you are not going to cook a battery with that little voltage difference.
actually it is usually current not voltage that "cooks" a lipo. also note that usb sources can vary by almost a volt even on pc mb. this from actual measurements, not spec sheets.

Quote:
Inside the USB plug may be where they hid your resistor and diode.
thats exactly where they are on those yellow s107 chargers.
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
Old Apr 09, 2012, 01:37 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
5,622 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by new rc heli View Post
Lipo's will reduce in time if they are charged while still warm.
that is another real issue with lipos. do they actually heat up on a v911? i havent noticed.
Old Apr 09, 2012, 01:38 PM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
Surprise, surprise.

Two integrated circuits.

Actually, go ahead and put 5 volts across your V911 LiPo and post the results. The voltage difference determines the current. The voltage difference is 0.8 volts.

Are you suggesting that 2 million V911 battery chargers should be trashed because you think they are poorly designed?
Last edited by Ribble; Apr 09, 2012 at 01:44 PM.
Old Apr 09, 2012, 01:50 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
5,622 Posts
thanks for the photos. without knowing part number those could be charge ics or comparator for the indicators like in the syma. my point is either way if it takes more than 1 hr cycle life is reduced. its just a matter of how much.

there are less radical solutions than trashing. chill.

btw where does that 2 million figure come from?
Old Apr 09, 2012, 01:56 PM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1993 View Post
thanks for the photos. without knowing part number those could be charge ics or comparator for the indicators like in the syma. my point is either way if it takes more than 1 hr cycle life is reduced. its just a matter of how much.

there are less radical solutions than trashing. chill.

btw where does that 2 million figure come from?
WL-Toys, but that was last month.

Usually they label integrated circuit as "U1" and "U2". These have a current regulator, a voltage cutoff, and a LED driver.

You are getting every V911 worried about overcharging their batteries. Maybe you should suggest that the V911 charger may be OK to use.

It takes more than an hour to recharge a battery at 1C if the battery were completely discharged. Maybe you think discharging a battery isn't as bad as charging it. I think different, over-discharging is the number one killer of LiPos.

These are 4.20 volt 130mah LiPos. Not some 4S 2200mah 450 class battery.
Last edited by Ribble; Apr 09, 2012 at 02:03 PM.
Old Apr 09, 2012, 02:01 PM
Heli Mania
PNW
Joined Dec 2010
2,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Infidel View Post
From one pussy cat lover to another, here's mine.

http://youtu.be/1pQYBg_codk
No V911s were harmed in the making of the video.
I think kitty is trying to get the water in that dish to go into TBE. LOL ...
Hayabusa Heli is offline Find More Posts by Hayabusa Heli
Old Apr 09, 2012, 02:09 PM
9958 gave me the toilet bowl
United States, IL, Rockford
Joined Jan 2012
1,257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayabusa Heli View Post
I think kitty is trying to get the water in that dish to go into TBE. LOL ...
You're funny!
Proud Infidel is offline Find More Posts by Proud Infidel
Old Apr 09, 2012, 02:16 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2009
2,770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmito View Post
If you have space, 450 clones and parts would be the cheapest to go. The cheapest kit I ever bought was $17 shipped on ebay.

Just be careful with the bigger bird, we can't catch it by hand when it flies too close.
Wasp09 is online now Find More Posts by Wasp09
Old Apr 09, 2012, 02:17 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2009
2,770 Posts
Quote:
Surprise, surprise.

Two integrated circuits.

Actually, go ahead and put 5 volts across your V911 LiPo and post the results. The voltage difference determines the current. The voltage difference is 0.8 volts.

Are you suggesting that 2 million V911 battery chargers should be trashed because you think they are poorly designed?
Have you been able to find the data sheet of the ICs onboard?

Regards,
Wasp09 is online now Find More Posts by Wasp09
Old Apr 09, 2012, 02:30 PM
Heli Mania
PNW
Joined Dec 2010
2,604 Posts
Quote:
It takes more than an hour to recharge a battery at 1C if the battery were completely discharged. Maybe you think discharging a battery isn't as bad as charging it. I think different, over-discharging is the number one killer of LiPos.
It takes about 30 min to charge my 120 mah V911 batteries with the OEM charger. But the batteries are at about 30~35% capacity before charging ... so that makes the recharge rate somewhere around 1.3C.
Hayabusa Heli is offline Find More Posts by Hayabusa Heli