HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 05, 2011, 08:49 PM
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Mar 2004
2,887 Posts
Build Log
1/7 F-14D Tomcat scratch build

Well, this project is over 2 years old now. It was originally started out as a turbine only version, but I see many people into the larger EDF's now and figured i may as well do an EDF version of the model as well. Since the project is fairly old, I'll just post a few random photo's during the construction of the plugs.

Fuselage bulkheads...all 33 of them:

Frame up tail section:

Beginning of the fuselage construction:

Allot of balsa later and the first mockups of the model:

Even more balsa later:

Spoilers cut from the wings:

After glassing the plug w/ some fiberglass and carbon in certain area's, panel lines are starting to get drawn onto the plug:

Litho-plate panels are then cut and attached to the plug with screws and rivet details stamped into each panel where they are seen on the full-scale:

Landing gear drawn up in cad:

Cockpit being drawn in CAD:

Here are some specs:

Wingspan- 110"
Length- 110"
All Composite molded w/ highly detailed surface, landing gear and cockpits
Tailerons, rudder, gear, flaps, spoilers, leading edge slats, speed brakes, wheel brakes, arresting hook, wing sweep, opening canopy and operating refueling probe all functional (if desired).
Expecting them to come out around 45-55lbs RTF. I'm planning to use allot of Carbon fiber (over 10 sq. yards per plane) and sandwich vacuum bagged structures to keep the weight low and strength high.

The prototype will probably be turbine powered and extremely "stripped" to the bare minimums with fixed gear to test the flight characteristics and take the beating. Mean-while 2 additional prototypes will be built along with production models (this will be offered as a 100% USA manufactured kit) offered to those who have asked to be put on a list to purchase one. I have only gotten a 1 or 2 people who have been interested in it as EDF, but i do plan to make one of my 2 additional prototypes as EDF as well. So since this is kind of a huge project for 2 different power systems, i figured I would post it here.
invertmast is online now Find More Posts by invertmast
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 05, 2011, 09:02 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
20,858 Posts
holy cow! thats a amazing plug you made!!!! i love the scale surface....overlooked these days.
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Aug 05, 2011, 09:10 PM
Joined Mar 2004
2,887 Posts
Thanks. The plan is for this model to be "THE" premier model of the F-14. No detail is going un-done on the F-14 (ok, well maybe a few teeny tiny ones), but it is intended to be for those who have to have the best and want a model that is truly competition ready.
Old Aug 05, 2011, 10:19 PM
Gaithersburg MD, United States
Joined Nov 2000
959 Posts
Awesome Thomas! Glad to see you on eZone. Now we have a few forums on which to watch this awesome bird materialize.

Paul
Tempest is online now Find More Posts by Tempest
Old Aug 05, 2011, 10:28 PM
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,008 Posts
Nice work..Hard core build!
turbonut is online now Find More Posts by turbonut
Old Aug 05, 2011, 11:20 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,140 Posts
Great to hear your going EDF with it also!!
This will be such an amazing model.... can't wait to see the finished product and will follow along with great interest.

it's crazy to think we now have the power to fly this on electric power
I rememeber the first eletric model I watched fly about 17 years ago, I was a young buck and laughed my axx off, told my buds that will never catch on
this poor little prop plane could hardly fly

Have to eat alot of crow now that I have a shop full of electric planes...lol

good luck with the build!!
Ron101 is offline Find More Posts by Ron101
Old Aug 06, 2011, 10:04 AM
Joined Mar 2004
2,887 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
Awesome Thomas! Glad to see you on eZone. Now we have a few forums on which to watch this awesome bird materialize.

Paul
Yea i finally realized there were allot of people on here that aren't on any of the other ones, so I figured i may as well put it on another forum for the heck of it..
Old Aug 06, 2011, 10:06 AM
Joined Mar 2004
2,887 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron101 View Post
Great to hear your going EDF with it also!!
This will be such an amazing model.... can't wait to see the finished product and will follow along with great interest.

it's crazy to think we now have the power to fly this on electric power
I rememeber the first eletric model I watched fly about 17 years ago, I was a young buck and laughed my axx off, told my buds that will never catch on
this poor little prop plane could hardly fly

Have to eat alot of crow now that I have a shop full of electric planes...lol

good luck with the build!!
I remember my first ever electric plane. It was a midwest 'Lectric Hotts w/ a speed 600 can motor and a on/off switch controlled by a servo for the ESC. I never did get that thing to fly, as even with mini servo's (DAD tina's, if that brings back some memories) and a 8 cell Nicd, it just couldn't get the speed up. A few years later, I ended up stuffing a OS .15fp on it. It flew great, but only 2 or 3 times before the airframe couldn't handle it anymore.
Old Aug 06, 2011, 11:33 AM
United States, MO, Warrensburg
Joined Feb 2008
2,249 Posts
Simply awesome!
Jetnfast is offline Find More Posts by Jetnfast
Old Aug 06, 2011, 02:50 PM
Joined Mar 2004
2,887 Posts
Both of the wings are 90% done:

Slowly finishing up the fuselage around the beaver tail area.

Another youtube video today:
How to build an F-14D Tomcat #19 (26 min 18 sec)
Old Aug 06, 2011, 03:22 PM
Team EJF >>>WHOOSH>>>
Joined Jul 2004
5,173 Posts
WAAAAY Cool!
Watching with extreme interest...

Vic
AceMigKiller is offline Find More Posts by AceMigKiller
Old Aug 06, 2011, 06:09 PM
Joined Mar 2004
2,887 Posts
Other than the Nav and Formation lights, the wings are Done.. oh yea, except for the Slats, but those will be made after the wings are molded and the first set of wing panels are made, that way the slats will be a perfect fit to the wing.

So since the nav/formation lights are the only things left to do, it only made sense to finish those items off so the wings are completely done.
So, masking tape was put on the panels around the formation/nav lights (wing on the right). Then body filler was mixed up and put over the nav/formation light openings (wing on the left). Once it is dried, the body will will be sanded down to shape. Then the frames and fastener detail for the lenses will be engraved into the body filler.

P.S. For those interested, i'll get the Inlet and Exhaust nozzle area's, ducting length's and nacelle diameters so the fan sizing can be determined. If you guys could share your thoughts on EDF's that would be good choice's, it would be much appreciated, also if you guys have fan shroud OD's this would help it determining inlet duct sizes.

I'm "hoping" to have a universal inlet duct to work with both turbines and EDF's. I'll be making my own bypass' for the turbine version's, and would like to have a inlet duct that would fit most of the EDF's on the market with little modifications.
Old Aug 06, 2011, 09:17 PM
Joined Mar 2004
2,887 Posts
I finished up the nose cone to fuselage seam. Here is the final product, a nice tight fit between the nose cone and fuselage.

I then decided to finish up the ventral fin. First off, was drawing and removing the material on the ventral fin for the naca duct.

Then the Naca duct was made (video to be posted once its done uploading) and the panel that covers the rest of the ventral fin made up.

The outer panel on the right side of the beaver tail was then formed.

Then I got started making the fuel dump pipe. Since this is going to be molded with the rest of the fuselage, it has to be a solid piece. So a piece of brass tubing was filled with body filler. After the body dried, the slight amount of shrinking let the body filler plug fall out.

The plug was then re-inserted into the brass tube w/ a little bit of it sticking out past the brass tube. The plug was then CA'd to the inside of the brass tube. Medium on the back-side of the plug and thin CA on the opposite end.

The Plug was then sanded flush with the brass tube, and the brass tube roughened up with some sandpaper in prep for it getting installed in the beaver-tail.

And here is where the tube will be placed. I'll cut a slot into the beaver tail for the brass tube to fit, and then glue in place with Ca or epoxy. Afterwards I will blend the tube into the beaver tail with some body filler and the applicable litho-plate panel.

I have 2 video's uploading now, so once they are done i'll post them as well.
Old Aug 06, 2011, 10:55 PM
Joined Mar 2004
2,887 Posts
One of the video's finally finished uploading..

How to build an F-14D Tomcat #20 (24 min 38 sec)
Old Aug 06, 2011, 11:10 PM
Joined Mar 2004
2,887 Posts
How to build an F-14D Tomcat #21 (34 min 3 sec)