HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 05, 2010, 08:38 AM
Long to be flyin'
Wirral, (UK)
Joined Dec 2003
3,055 Posts
Discussion
Small site DS?

Anyone else had any results DS'n very small sites?

I don't have any decent DS sites locally so I had a go at a hill-fort cut on top of a local site. I was really surprised at the sound and acceleration! I now see why DS at any speed is so addictive. I was only able to manage asymmetric DS circuits (judging by the single loud 'crump' sound) losing everything I had gained as I came round for another dive in. It was interesting to note how the smoother air delivered more acceleration and passing thermals killed it.

Missing the lip by inches added to the fun and I soon learnt that gentle turns delivered the most but I think I need a purpose built model to retain the gains. This site is covered in dense heather and I was using a robust composite design so impacts were no issue.

I have seen the Co guys doing road cut DS which looked similar but this site is much smaller and the shear makes a lot of noise.

Once I sort out a new design I am thinking I will need to do about 40' circuits to keep things moving, without a gyro I imagine my reflexes won't be able to correct things quick enough.

Tony.
Antonsoarer is offline Find More Posts by Antonsoarer
Last edited by Antonsoarer; May 05, 2010 at 01:28 PM. Reason: typo
to remove ads between posts
Old May 05, 2010, 10:56 AM
Modelrater Deluxe
Western Colorado
Joined Dec 2004
1,048 Posts
Keep at it... small sites are always a huge challenge and when the time comes to get to fly at a big site you will be amazed at how much easier it is.
1-26 Flyer is offline Find More Posts by 1-26 Flyer
Old May 05, 2010, 01:18 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
27,684 Posts
Ya, we've DS'ed road cuts that are only one lane instead of two, which is about
the scale that you're working with. If there's a place with wind, and another
without wind, you can DS between them if you've got a plane that'll make the turns
efficiently.

I've not had much luck with flat ground bush/hedge and tree DSing but we know
it's possible.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old May 05, 2010, 01:38 PM
fly foam fast
USA, NV, Reno
Joined May 2003
3,442 Posts

We have a slope called Red Rock that has a backside about 15' high. Before I knew what I was doing I tried to DS it with disasterous results. After learning to DS the "proper" way it was challenging but lots of fun. The spot is just West of the Reno air race site.
Here's a pic that is of no help.
1000MPH is offline Find More Posts by 1000MPH
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Building a 40oz Bee II for DS
Old May 05, 2010, 06:30 PM
Hipster, apparently
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
2,856 Posts
A buddy and I have been having fun DSing this carpark, on top of a cliff about 100' high with the bushes on the very edge, makes quite a calm area. The circuit goes from the bushes in front (or out the front, depending what you feel like) and the nature strip by the road, by the small pine trees. very small circle compared with a big hill. Just yesterday Dave was ripping it with his Gulp DS. Just up the path is another bush that can be DS'ed behind with a weael or some such, about 15' laps will do it. A hill fort, I wish. Luxury...
gizzo is offline Find More Posts by gizzo
Old May 05, 2010, 09:36 PM
C'mon more Energy
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Mar 2005
3,166 Posts
I have even done small laps with a Bee behind a few shrubs. Ugly but it worked.
Lots of fun and great for the reflexes though tough on models.
Swoopdown is offline Find More Posts by Swoopdown
Old May 07, 2010, 04:44 AM
Joined Apr 2008
2 Posts
I'm a new pilot, only been at it about 3 months, but gliding, and I'm 43.

Our local slope is actually a cliff, but there's a valley next to it that I fly sometimes. The long time fliers all warn not to go there, but it's more challenging flying, and great for working on your reflexes.

I was flying there yesterday in a northerly (we need some west to fly properly off the cliff), and noticed that we had some boundary layer turbulence about 10-12 meters off the ground, coming from wind shearing off the ridge on the side of the valley. I'm thinking that ridges are possibly easier to DS in, because they provide a longer and more predictable route to fly along while building speed in whichever layer you are accelerating in.

My last DIY plane is much faster than anything else I've built to date, not sure if I can get it doing anything halfway respectable though, it's only got corflute ailerons. got to start somewhere though !
grael is offline Find More Posts by grael
Old May 07, 2010, 02:29 PM
Leicestershire
Joined Sep 2006
1,184 Posts
Guys can you help me understand road cut DS a little better? I think I understand the idea, but not 100% sure I have it right. Is the circuit kind of flat horizontal, out over the edge and back in again?

Would this kind of DS also be possible on a cliff i.e. with flat horizontal circuits? What's the best way?

Thanks for any help!

Z
Zimodile is offline Find More Posts by Zimodile
Old May 07, 2010, 05:55 PM
The Predator
Golden, Colorado
Joined Dec 2004
3,565 Posts
I made this video:
Scratched (4 min 14 sec)
for Antonsoarer being so grateful for the AWESOME airfoil designs he created for me! Hope it help Zimodile. And yes you can DS cliffs just the way you think but, in general the best time to do it, in my experiences, was using a light wind otherwise the shear tends to lean to far over leaving you with only a small wedge of calm air or no shear at all as wind speeds increase. . . opps!
The Predator is offline Find More Posts by The Predator
Old May 07, 2010, 06:13 PM
Hipster, apparently
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
2,856 Posts
heres a vid of Dave and I DSing our local carpark, as described earlier.
the name of the game (3 min 36 sec)
Old May 07, 2010, 06:18 PM
Leicestershire
Joined Sep 2006
1,184 Posts
Thanks for those videos guys. I love the phrase "Dsing my local car park" - that's awesome! And top work on the videography both time - DSing and scratching tracks together twice in one evening - yeah baby!

Z
Old May 07, 2010, 07:14 PM
USA, CT, Fairfield
Joined Jul 2004
2,600 Posts
Truro High Head DS 10-16-09 (2 min 26 sec)

My experience DSing in Cape Cod, light wind works best as Karl mentioned above as the shear disappears and there is too much wrap around from the sides in stronger conditions. Knap of the earth flying is always exciting even if the top speeds are nothing to brag about.

EB
Sleedo is offline Find More Posts by Sleedo
Old May 08, 2010, 11:49 AM
Leicestershire
Joined Sep 2006
1,184 Posts
thanks man - thanks cool - show's how it works really nice in that vid.

Cheers

Z
Old May 09, 2010, 10:43 AM
Bundesrepublik Deutschland, Rheinland-Pfalz, Kaiserslautern
Joined Apr 2007
1,009 Posts
Great videos! Thanks for sharing! I guess over here, you'd be arrested after 5 mins when you try to fly at such a site...
daybyter is offline Find More Posts by daybyter
Old May 09, 2010, 06:22 PM
Hipster, apparently
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
2,856 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleedo View Post
http://vimeo.com/7137049

My experience DSing in Cape Cod, light wind works best as Karl mentioned above as the shear disappears and there is too much wrap around from the sides in stronger conditions. Knap of the earth flying is always exciting even if the top speeds are nothing to brag about.

EB
How high is the front of the dune? I've tried a similar looking site with very limited success.
Cheers