HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 22, 2012, 12:56 PM
Rogersville, Mo
Joined Jun 2008
3,292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparmyway View Post
Mike,
Its WAY better for the epoxy and the foam if you just "paint" on a coat of epoxy and let your heat gun (or hot hair dryer) heat up the epoxy and foam, allowing it to absorb into the foam, creating a very sturdy foam/epoxy matrix thats super tough !!

Thinning out epoxy isnt good, it looses all strength and resiliency, plus you are adding something to thin it out, which alters the physical properties of the epoxy itself, and you could wait weeks for your thinned out epoxy to cure properly (if it can at all).
Very Interesting....I've never heard anyone explain it before..so i never tried it...Do you like it????...I'd think it to be somewhat better than my Tape...what is your Opinion on Tape or Epoxy Mopar?..Billy...
FlyBillyFly is offline Find More Posts by FlyBillyFly
to remove ads between posts
Old May 22, 2012, 01:08 PM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,267 Posts
I've used thinned-out epoxy on several airplanes and I've never had a problem. I mix a generous amount of 5-minute epoxy in a cup and add a splash of 91% isopropyl alcohol. Mix well with a popsicle stick. Paint it onto the desired surface with a disposable paint brush, and it's done. The epoxy usually cures in a few hours. It worked so well on one particular plane (AMX 64mm jet) that I was able to do ROG takeoffs by sliding on the belly. Always impressed at fly-ins.
Mike_Then is offline Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I gots me a Goblin!
Old May 22, 2012, 03:15 PM
Rogersville, Mo
Joined Jun 2008
3,292 Posts
I'll have to try this sometime...sounds alot better than the tape application...that can git pretty tedious......Billy
Old May 22, 2012, 07:46 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,113 Posts
Out of curiosity, how much difference can/does a dive make on a speed run?

Does a shallow dive give higher results in getting the speed up, or does a more vertical dive with a sharper pull up? How much difference would you get between the 2 different dives, or even a 3rd dive at 45 degrees?

And at what point do you lose the extra speed, i.e. if you came out of the dive 100yds away, would the extra be lost by the time it passes you?

I'm not out to claim any top end speeds or BS in anyway (I can only use RPM at the moment anyway), but I wondered which has the greatest effect and by how much (5%?).
feefo is offline Find More Posts by feefo
Old May 23, 2012, 04:49 AM
I've got gas
United States, PA, Quakertown
Joined Aug 2011
365 Posts
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Having an issue with my funjet ultra. I'm not the best hand launcher but can launch my clouds fly no prob. I toss it like it should. Not full power. Up at a 45 degree angle. It will float in the air for a few secs and at this point it's full throttle but seems like it stalls. Feels like there's not enough power to get enough lift. Heres the current setup.

3s 2100. CG is perfect.
Power 450 jet motor.
5x5 prop
0 down thrust

Am I doing something wrong?
BrightCap232 is offline Find More Posts by BrightCap232
Old May 23, 2012, 06:13 AM
186mph Funjet Ultra
nieuw vennep, the netherlands
Joined Feb 2010
459 Posts
Hi feefo

Your question is very difficult to answer, it depends on, power to weight ratio, all up weight and how smooth you fly!
In a straight away dive your speed will be higher, the steeper the dive, the higher the speed.
Every control input will slow your plane down, an aileron roll can slow you down as much as 20Mph, if you pull up hard it can slow you down as much as 40Mph with a FJU!
If you want to fly fast you have to fly as smooth as possible.

Grtz René
E-speed buff is offline Find More Posts by E-speed buff
Old May 23, 2012, 07:05 AM
Rogersville, Mo
Joined Jun 2008
3,292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlyers View Post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Having an issue with my funjet ultra. I'm not the best hand launcher but can launch my clouds fly no prob. I toss it like it should. Not full power. Up at a 45 degree angle. It will float in the air for a few secs and at this point it's full throttle but seems like it stalls. Feels like there's not enough power to get enough lift. Heres the current setup.

3s 2100. CG is perfect.
Power 450 jet motor.
5x5 prop
0 down thrust

Try after you've launched then level out the jet....and let it power up...by what i'm reading from your description...your not up to speed and still trying to climb....try to level off after you've got enough power to fly....that way you build up speed to do climbs...Your power system is not for vertical accents....Billy
Old May 23, 2012, 10:14 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2007
249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by feefo View Post
lol. Thats great!

I guess the biggest secret is to just stay calm.
JBuck is offline Find More Posts by JBuck
Old May 23, 2012, 10:49 AM
Denver, CO
Joined Nov 2007
1,217 Posts
Quote:

3s 2100. CG is perfect.
Power 450 jet motor.
5x5 prop
0 down thrust

--This is a lighweight, lower powered setup. With full power, throw it like a football at about 30 deg up.

--Also, check and make sure prop lettering is facing toward nose of aircraft
G-Forse is offline Find More Posts by G-Forse
Old May 23, 2012, 12:15 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-speed buff View Post
Hi feefo

Your question is very difficult to answer, it depends on, power to weight ratio, all up weight and how smooth you fly!
In a straight away dive your speed will be higher, the steeper the dive, the higher the speed.
Every control input will slow your plane down, an aileron roll can slow you down as much as 20Mph, if you pull up hard it can slow you down as much as 40Mph with a FJU!
If you want to fly fast you have to fly as smooth as possible.

Grtz René
Cheers Grtz...

Yes I know there's a ton of variables, I was just wondering how big a difference it could make. I wasn't sure if a steeper dive with more pull up would be faster than a shallower dive with less pull up, as the shallower dive would need less input to level it out. Hopefully I'll get a new cam soon so I can try a few different methods and have a go with doppler to see. Thanks again.
Old May 23, 2012, 12:19 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBuck View Post
lol. Thats great!

I guess the biggest secret is to just stay calm.
I think it's a natural instinct that you try and correct the roll, rather than going with it.
Old May 23, 2012, 12:39 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Sep 2004
2,460 Posts
Quote:

3s 2100. CG is perfect.
Power 450 jet motor.
5x5 prop
0 down thrust

Part of the problem is that 5x5 prop (especially if it's an APC prop). APC makes great props but the 5x5 is one of their worst. It really was only made for fast pylon planes that have very low drag.

The 5x5 prop has very little thrust on launch and you'll hear it churn quite a bit before it gets on step and becomes quieter.

Try the APC 5.5x4.5 prop. It'll have noticeably better thrust, probably be faster, and uses almost the same power as the 5x5 does.

This will make it a lot easier to launch.
cjbucher is offline Find More Posts by cjbucher
Old May 23, 2012, 01:02 PM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,920 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbucher View Post
Part of the problem is that 5x5 prop (especially if it's an APC prop). APC makes great props but the 5x5 is one of their worst. It really was only made for fast pylon planes that have very low drag.

The 5x5 prop has very little thrust on launch and you'll hear it churn quite a bit before it gets on step and becomes quieter.

Try the APC 5.5x4.5 prop. It'll have noticeably better thrust, probably be faster, and uses almost the same power as the 5x5 does.

This will make it a lot easier to launch.
I have heard this before...and my experiences tend to line up with this.
Who makes a GOOD 5x5?
MRGTX is offline Find More Posts by MRGTX
Old May 23, 2012, 01:15 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,733 Posts
APC also has a prop in-between the two sizes discussed.

APC 5.25X4.75

Each of these props draw incrementally more AMPs on ground than 5X5

Gryphon
GryphonRCU is offline Find More Posts by GryphonRCU
Old May 23, 2012, 01:27 PM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,920 Posts
I have one of these 5x5 scimitar style props around...would this hold up to ~1000W?
http://www.valuehobby.com/accessorie...itar-prop.html

Thanks
MRGTX is offline Find More Posts by MRGTX