HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 22, 2007, 11:10 AM
Central Missouri,USA Along the banks of the Missouri River
Joined Jun 2005
1,734 Posts
Discussion
Figures..what the heck!

Billionaire John Getty,when asked how to make alot of money said,"find a need and fill it."Well, I have a 1/144th scale battleship,a 1/48th scale tug,1/8th scale runabout,1/20th scale yacht,etc,etc, and in every case,if I want a crew I've had to either modify something or do without. Why doesnt someone make a range of figures SPECIFICALLY FOR model civilian and warships???I dont have to tell you folks how much a crew adds to a model.Im tired of converting model railroad figures,I did it with my Vac u tug(S scale),my 1/144th Bismarck(N scale),and my runabout(barbies little sister.The static modellers(1/700 and 1/350) have some to chose from,but not the R/C comunity.With all the R/C models built every year I think there would be a suffient market.

A good start would be;

1/96,1/144,1/128th sailors for warships
1/24,1/32,1/48th tugboat crew
1/8,1/20 civilians for pleasure craft

Any opinions?
tim slocum is offline Find More Posts by tim slocum
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 22, 2007, 11:40 AM
United States, TX, La Porte
Joined Apr 2007
1,668 Posts
You know that is a very good idea. To me each craft should have a person on board. A few years ago a line of figures were made for the Happy Days TV show. They were a perfect 1/8th scale for the Dumas CC series. You just do not find much out there to support RC boats that need a figure to complete the model. A CC running along without a driver just does not look right.
Gravman is offline Find More Posts by Gravman
Old Jun 22, 2007, 11:54 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,444 Posts
I was just going to post a thread asking if anyone knows where I can find 1/24 or 1/25 navy figures...Vietnam era would be way cool!
Capt.Crash is offline Find More Posts by Capt.Crash
Old Jun 22, 2007, 01:41 PM
r/c ships and workboats
bellingham, wa
Joined May 2006
4,647 Posts
For some figures in larger scales, look at 1/35 & 1/32 military ( usally feild artillary units) for posable figures and 1/24 & 1/35th scale car figures work well. Just have to be creative. If there were more boats people doing crew/drivers on their models someone could have a small business on the side. Just hard to find maritime figures in any scale to compliment a vessel. Who wants to start the figure business ( don't look to me either)
keith S is offline Find More Posts by keith S
Old Jun 22, 2007, 04:07 PM
"day ain't over yet-"
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,759 Posts
Guys, I've been doing R/C boats for well over 30 years, mostly in 1/32 scale, and I have to say that it remains a mystery as to why someone hasn't come out with sailor figures.

I've never seen them in ANY scale---.

The best I've come up with is the Preiser figures in the Walthers catalog, available usually in model train shops. They have a good variety that can be easily modified.
der kapitan is offline Find More Posts by der kapitan
Old Jun 22, 2007, 06:12 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,570 Posts
Karl,

Marx made blue & white plastic sailors in approx. 1/24 scale.
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Jun 22, 2007, 07:43 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,090 Posts
Hummm, the guys in the upper right photo aren't trying to spell out Y M C A, are they?

Marx... wonder if the tools for those are still around? @1/24 would be a useful scale...
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Jun 22, 2007, 08:51 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,570 Posts
LOL, somebody else said that about those little guys a couple years ago!
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Jun 22, 2007, 09:16 PM
Joined Jun 2005
1,734 Posts
If someone made just a few of the most needed figures in the most popular scales, I have no doubt they'd sell a bunch.Start with tug crewmen in 1/32nd and 1/48th scale,then maybe people for the 1/8th Chris Crafts.Something I forgot to mention in my earlier post,I think it would be nice if the larger scale figures were posable.After looking at some of what is available,I think theres probably a fairly large profit margin in figures.Come on,somebody start a little side job, I'll be your first customer.
Old Jun 22, 2007, 10:42 PM
Carnival Destiny
Lake Caroline, VA
Joined Feb 2006
517 Posts
I love the YMCA guys. Haha.
tugboater is offline Find More Posts by tugboater
Old Jun 23, 2007, 03:35 AM
Hampshire UK
Joined Nov 2006
101 Posts
Hi

Try here for a good range of figures in most of the scales that have been mentioned. I've used a few and they are very good.

HTH
Richard
VO70 is offline Find More Posts by VO70
Old Jun 23, 2007, 05:24 AM
Blackpool, Lancs
Joined Feb 2006
2,964 Posts
George Turner also does some rather nice boats to go with the figures, follow VO70's link.
His figures also tend to be people shaped, rather than shop window dummy shaped.
mfr02 is online now Find More Posts by mfr02
Old Jun 23, 2007, 07:23 AM
no wings any more, just dust!
stoke on trent
Joined Oct 2004
8,052 Posts
does anyone do 1/200th scale ones?
Ghost 2501 is offline Find More Posts by Ghost 2501
Old Jun 23, 2007, 11:57 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravman
You know that is a very good idea. To me each craft should have a person on board. A few years ago a line of figures were made for the Happy Days TV show. They were a perfect 1/8th scale for the Dumas CC series. You just do not find much out there to support RC boats that need a figure to complete the model. A CC running along without a driver just does not look right.
I have a "Fonzie" figure from many years ago that fits my Sterling Century Seamaid. I have had some success making my own deck figures in smaller scale from separate pieces of balsa or soft wood, i.e. head, upper body, lower body legs arms, hands. feet. I use Dremel tool, knife, files, sand paper glued to sticks, and testors enamels or craft paints.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Jun 24, 2007, 03:04 PM
Joined Jun 2005
1,734 Posts
I checked out the link provided by VO70, and theres some nice figures there. These figures take care of the most of the tug crew.I think the most commercially viable remaining product would be the 1/8th scale figures for the wooden Dumas pleasure boats.Someone mentioned Breyer dolls,and Ive looked into it and I think if you could make some different clothing for them, they would look very nice.Unfortunetly, Im not very good with a sewing machine(even though I have a 1919 Singer in great condition).I emailled George Turner letting him know that I thought his products looked nice and of the need for 1/8th scale figures.Ill let you know what the reply is.