SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 19, 2007, 11:28 PM
usa
Joined Oct 2006
44 Posts
Discussion
Scratch Building the Gee Bee Model -Z 1/4 scale (thread #2

Well I guess I have given you a chance to kind of get to know me a little, from my 1st. thread, on Scratch building the Gee Bee model-Z on thread #1. So I guess it's time to share with you how the model is built. The plane builds mostly straight down on the building board, like most any other RC plane. The stablizer and elevator have notch style construction to keep it strong, straight,and light with good glue joints.The fuselage box frame crutch is tab lock construction, like that of a Carl Goldberge Kit, but differen't, and builds upside down on the building board over the top view fuselage plans like that of a Top Flite kit. The main fuselage formers #2 -thru.-#8 fin slide and lock into place on both sides of the fuselage box frame crutch, and goes together pretty quick. The plans have both wing panels drafted up so you do not have to trace over it to get the other side, also the plans have instructions and notes on how to build plane along with some photo's on building.There are 5 sheets total, Plate #1 fuselage side view left side with landing gear, #2 top view ,with boxframe crutch patterns, #3 fuselage former patterns along with stab/elev. layout #4 & 5 are the wing panels with spars, and wing rib airfoil patterns, also with fin & rudder patterns and layouts for building. Also there are Illustrations and instructions on how to build those large wing fillets with the false fillets built into the wing so that the wing fillet coming off the fuselage are flush with the airfoil on the top side and bottom side of the wing panels.
thanks so much, Johnny
jay/jay is offline Find More Posts by jay/jay
Last edited by jay/jay; Jun 04, 2007 at 05:11 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 19, 2007, 11:39 PM
usa
Joined Oct 2006
44 Posts
scratch building the Gee Bee model -Z 1/4 scale

More photos of building the plane,
The plane is built in this order, and by these steps.

1. - build the fin and rudder 1st.
2. - build the stablizer and elevator 2nd.
3. - build the wing 3rd.
4. - build the fuse box frame crutch 4th.
5. - mount the wing to the box frame before adding formers F-2 thur.F-8.
6. - glue the fuselage fromers F-2 thur -F-7 to the box frame with the wing
off and plank or sheet the fuselage.
7. -with no glue whatsoever, and useing only masking tape and T- pins mount the stab/elve. into place along with the (fin F-8 ) now install all radio
gear and push rod linkage put a couple stringers into place where the push rods exit the fuse., check your clearance to make sure everything lines up before going to the next step and if useing round dowl push with 4-40 hardware tape them in place inside the box frame before glueing the firewall engine mount into its location very important!

8.- decide now how you are going to cover the plane since the stab/elve . is mounted in the scale location all hinges will not work with fabric & paint because the stab/elve. is hinged together before installed with glue.
Last edited by jay/jay; May 20, 2007 at 06:49 PM.
Old May 20, 2007, 12:06 AM
usa
Joined Oct 2006
44 Posts
Scratch Building the Gee Bee model -Z 1/4 scale

more photo's still on building the plane ,Johnny.
step's on building the plane
9.- measure and cut the 1/8x14 balsa stringers and glue into place one left and one right as yuou go around the fuselage formers F-2 thur F8
10'- now measure and cut the 1/8x1/8 bass wood stringers and glue in place starting behind the cockpit headrest to the Fin post F-8 while working your way down into the stabilzer
11.-mount the wing back on to the fuselage useing wax paper and build the wing fillets, make sure to use the sanding blocks that are show on the plans to get the wing fillets to the right shape
12, -builld the landing gear as show on the plans before building the wing fillet belly pan
13. build the wing fillet belly pan, and the oiler cooler scoop.
14 fiber glass the wing fillets, and sand and prep the rest of the plane for covering, as any other plane,
Last edited by jay/jay; May 20, 2007 at 06:48 PM.
Old May 20, 2007, 12:38 AM
usa
Joined Oct 2006
44 Posts
Scratch building the Gee Bee model -Z 1/4 scale

Covering the plane with stits lite fabric and paint by F&M Enterprises, The basic primeing was done at my place, but the final paint job was done by Screwy, at Screwy Designs in Olympia WA. A good friend of mine. And it's nice to have friends like that, since He is considered to be one of they very best custom painters on the west coast, His custom Mortor Cycles and Cars are seen in just about every major custom Car show across the country
Johnny.
Last edited by jay/jay; May 20, 2007 at 01:08 AM.
Old May 20, 2007, 01:07 AM
usa
Joined Oct 2006
44 Posts
Painting the plane at Screwy's Place

Photos of painting the Gee Bee model -Z At Screwy Designs.
Last edited by jay/jay; May 20, 2007 at 02:02 AM.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 03:35 PM
low tech high tech
Southern Vermont
Joined Feb 2007
3,028 Posts
Nobody ever even commented on this build???!! It's a privilege then to be the first to provide a wow, five years after the fact.

WOW!!!!
vtdiy is offline Find More Posts by vtdiy
Old Nov 07, 2012, 05:46 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,293 Posts
I wonder how/when it flew....I have a Seagull "Z" and it flys like a trainer - except for the landing part
tailskid2 is offline Find More Posts by tailskid2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 30 cc Sbach flies!
Old Nov 08, 2012, 04:48 PM
low tech high tech
Southern Vermont
Joined Feb 2007
3,028 Posts
Just noticed turnbuckles on the rigging, and the engine details. Superb model of this plane.
vtdiy is offline Find More Posts by vtdiy
Old May 02, 2013, 08:56 AM
Joined Feb 2012
5 Posts
WOW WOW WOW !

Best GeeBeeZ model ever !

@ Jay/jay, are your plans available?
Firebird356 is offline Find More Posts by Firebird356
Old May 19, 2013, 07:15 PM
War Eagle!
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Sep 2006
2,900 Posts
He's got some really nice detail on this. The original post is so old though, I doubt he is still around the boards.

That said, I don't know of a 25% plan for the Z, so he may have drawn them up himself.
sneasle is offline Find More Posts by sneasle