HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 01, 2013, 03:13 PM
Joined Aug 2013
3 Posts
Discussion
Have I damaged my OS Max SF 40 ABN by break-in with Coolpower?

Unfortunately being new to the hobby and acquiring an old (but never run) OS Max SF 40 ABN engine, I was recommended Coolpower 10%. I've run through 3/4 of a gallon (almost 20 flights) but have been having a lot of trouble with it. It has been suddenly quitting (usually 5 minutes into the flight). Running rich seems to help a little bit but not 100%

I did not realize I should have broken in with castor oil and not synthetic. At this point I'm not even sure it's broken-in, maybe it's just broken? I did accidentally 4-cycle it for a minute when I first started it, but hoping that wasn't enough to damage it.

I'm think going to pick up Omega 10% (manuf. says it has 30% castor, 70% syn) and add a little more castor to it.

Do you think I've damaged the engine by breaking in with only 17% synthetic? It still seems to have good compression when I turn over by hand.

-Scott
tuketu is offline Find More Posts by tuketu
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 01, 2013, 03:27 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,098 Posts
I do not think that you hurt the engine. Many people have used the fuel to good effect in their engines. I would check the fuel system carefully. It sounds to me like there is a pinhole or tear in the fuel line, likely inside the fuel tank. When the fuel level drops below a certain point the engine draws air and quits.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Aug 01, 2013, 03:31 PM
Joined Aug 2013
3 Posts
Thanks Earl, I replaced the fuel tank and all plumbing with just that thought, but it didn't make a difference.
Old Aug 01, 2013, 03:35 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,098 Posts
How is the engine installed in your airplane? Is it cowled in and enclosed? It may be overheating somehow.

I guess the other thought it that it gets hot and a airleak develops off the front end where the front bearing is at.

Can you run a tank through it on the ground OK?
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Aug 01, 2013, 03:46 PM
Joined Aug 2013
3 Posts
It's completely open, no cowling. The problem is sometimes hard to reproduce, but definitely happens on the ground too. It seems to run fine for a number of flights and started having issues again after a re-tune. I suspect it was not as rich after the re-tune and that may have brought the problem back. My last flight was on FAI fuel running fairly rich and it did not quit at all.
Old Aug 01, 2013, 04:01 PM
Joined Jun 2011
1,531 Posts
Running cool Power will not damage an engine. The only problem with total synthetics is rust. Use of ARO or adding a few percentage points of castor oil solves that problem. Bet sure to run all the fue out of the engine after use.
datsunguy is offline Find More Posts by datsunguy
Old Aug 01, 2013, 04:11 PM
Vienna
Joined Oct 2004
96 Posts
Hi,

suggest to check the glow plug
correct position of tank (not too far away, correct height)
correct prop size (maybe too big or too much pitch?)
check the needle for dirt

regards
Andi
gunsguns is online now Find More Posts by gunsguns
Old Aug 02, 2013, 05:39 PM
I HATE GLOW PLUGS!
United States, NY, St Lawrence
Joined Feb 2012
1,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by datsunguy View Post
Running cool Power will not damage an engine. The only problem with total synthetics is rust. Use of ARO or adding a few percentage points of castor oil solves that problem. Bet sure to run all the fue out of the engine after use.
I have taken engines run exclusively on Cool Power (no added castor) from 14 years of storage W/O any rust issues.

They were stored indoors though. That makes a huge difference.
SrTelemaster is offline Find More Posts by SrTelemaster
Old Aug 02, 2013, 08:07 PM
Joined Jun 2011
1,531 Posts
I used to be an engine repair guy for a major company and I could always tell engines run on cool power with total synthetic. The insides had rust and green residue. My favorite example was one that Lou Proctor brought in that he said was not feeling right when he turned it over. I took it apart and then said to him you run this on cool power don't you. He replied yes, how did you know? I said the bearings were shot and it was green inside.

It was an OS 90FS and I replaced all 5 bearings and charged him 20 bucks. Told him to use some castor (our brand was all castor and 20%). The next day he brought me a Proctor Neuport 28 kit. He switched to our fuel and never had another problem.
Old Aug 02, 2013, 08:16 PM
United States, ID, Kuna
Joined Feb 2008
73 Posts
I would replace all the o'rings in the carb along with the carb neck oring then it likely will run perfectly, cool power is just fine, running it rich isnt doing it any favor its not a ringed engine..
lfinney54 is offline Find More Posts by lfinney54
Old Aug 03, 2013, 12:23 AM
Adelaide, South Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,082 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuketu View Post
I did accidentally 4-cycle it for a minute when I first started it, but hoping that wasn't enough to damage it.
Regardless of the myth that just won't go away running a new ABx in a 4 stroke won't cause any damage but also won't do much as far as running in either. Years ago I took a brand new ABC and ran it slobbering rich for 45 minutes then stripped it. The only sign that it had been run was that the lower rod bush was getting a nice polish on the upper surface. The piston and liner still looked like new and had exactly the same pinch as when I took it out of the box (pinch was checked with a degree wheel and no plug fitted). Admittedly I was using 25% all castor so I can't say what might happen with something like Cruel Power .

Most manufacturers today recommend initial running at, or slightly above, the 4-2 break point.
downunder is offline Find More Posts by downunder
Old Aug 03, 2013, 04:09 AM
Joined Jun 2011
1,531 Posts
Yup those engine writes and designers like C. Lee have no idea what they are talking about when it comes to model engines. Neither do the manufacturers. Ol' Downunder knows more than all of them put together.
Old Aug 03, 2013, 06:56 AM
United States, MI, Waterford Charter Township
Joined Aug 2008
1,401 Posts
datsunguy -
You can't have it both ways. You first state the OP has done no damage. Then you criticize/mock somebody writing in agreeing with your first statement??

Opinions are great, but you should figure out your stand point and stay with it? And mocking somebody, that's in really poor taste under any circumstances....

I ran CP for many years (it didn't stain the engines as badly), and I did run into engines that rusted their bearings after being in storage for a while, or were no longer being run regularly. After run oil fixed that issue. Or running the last tank of fuel for the season using a a castor based fuel mix? FWIW
ahicks is offline Find More Posts by ahicks
Old Aug 03, 2013, 07:35 AM
Aurora Municipal, Illinois, United States
Joined Jul 2002
1,587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfinney54 View Post
I would replace all the o'rings in the carb along with the carb neck oring then it likely will run perfectly, cool power is just fine, running it rich isnt doing it any favor its not a ringed engine..
Double check your plumbing. Even if you changed it out do a pressure test on the tank. I agree with changing the O rings especially if the engine sat around for a long time. They rubber may have shrunk or got brittle.
bullseye000 is offline Find More Posts by bullseye000
Old Aug 03, 2013, 07:39 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Apr 2006
124 Posts
IMHO modern AAC ABC ABN engines do not need running in. The fits are so close to perfect that running in rich or with extra oil just isn`t necessary in fact it can do more harm than good because the engine takes too long to get up to temperature & can cause premature wear.. A steel /cast iron engine is a different matter.
Having said that I`m not really a fan of synthetic oils by themselves some castor gives a bit of extra insurance in a lean run as synthetic oils can reach a point where they burn completely & leave no protection for the engine.
Ian
Ian Thompson is offline Find More Posts by Ian Thompson