HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by dambit, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 05:45 AM
Most people are stupid!
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Oct 2011
3,926 Posts
Build Log
FMS 1400 FW 190 D-9 Bash

Hi All,

So that I don't clog up the owners thread I've decided to move everything over to my blog.

As people who have been following the FW 190 owners thread know, I have recently flew the firewall out of my plane
The foam was beyond easy repair, so I have taken this opportunity to bash the plane into an early D-9 variant.

The images show the progression of the build so far, beginning with a hero shot of the original model and then the damage to the firewall etc.

My 190 was a little unique in that it was one of the first to have its motor come apart in flight (# 25) causing a fire inside the ESC and battery area. This ate a lot of the stock foam away forcing me to coat the entire inside of that area with epoxy. So another failure was eventually inevitable I guess, however it lasted another 180 or so flights, dogfights, crashes and nose overs before the repair finally gave out

So sit back relax and hope to hell that I can pull this mod off

Cheers,

Steve
dambit is offline Find More Posts by dambit
Last edited by dambit; Sep 04, 2014 at 07:04 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2013, 05:47 AM
Most people are stupid!
Joined Oct 2011
3,926 Posts
Ok these are the shots of the damage to the plane a few days ago.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 05:49 AM
Most people are stupid!
Joined Oct 2011
3,926 Posts
Here are some pics of the "breakdown" of the plane.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 05:51 AM
Most people are stupid!
Joined Oct 2011
3,926 Posts
Some more images showing the extending of the tail area.

This was during test fitting and before sanding to blend with the fuselage.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 05:53 AM
Most people are stupid!
Joined Oct 2011
3,926 Posts
Here are some pics of the completed tail extension. A rolling airframe if you will
Old Feb 02, 2013, 12:13 AM
Most people are stupid!
Joined Oct 2011
3,926 Posts
Didn't do too much on it today. Sanded the nose section and applied more filler. I've run out so I'll have to get some more.

I have managed to trim the gun hatch into a more correct shape. I also need to remove the material in the circled area as this is where the supercharger scoop is mounted and it's also too wide for a dora.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 05:13 AM
Most people are stupid!
Joined Oct 2011
3,926 Posts
Ok, got a spare 30 min to work on the 190. I removed the old exhaust flaps and stacks from the left side of the fuse and after a reasonably careful examination of the D-9 plans began hacking away the foam to slim it down

Turns out that once the plastic exhaust insert is removed, the gap it leaves is inset the perfect amount to line up with the cuts I needed to make. Winning

Anyway, I only did the left side tonight because the right side is where all the foam melted away in the fire. I'll have to build it back up with either balsa or foam first.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:03 AM
advanced n00b
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Feb 2012
978 Posts
Looking real good! Do you have ideas yet for the intake piece that will be on the right side of the nose? Also do you know what you are going to make the cowl out of? Last but not least, what will you make the firewall out of and will you reinforce it due to previous issues?
xfatdannx is offline Find More Posts by xfatdannx
Old Feb 02, 2013, 09:14 AM
Most people are stupid!
Joined Oct 2011
3,926 Posts
Cheers mate.

I'm going to use the intake from the 1400 Bf-109 as its very similar. The cowl and entire nose section will be fiber glassed and the foam removed. This way I will have a solid firewall etc and a huge area for battery placement. Maybe even a sound system.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 10:01 AM
advanced n00b
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Feb 2012
978 Posts
I am confused on the nost section part still...With you basically have a fiberglass shell or with there be some thickness to it?
xfatdannx is offline Find More Posts by xfatdannx
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:57 PM
Most people are stupid!
Joined Oct 2011
3,926 Posts
Yes it will be a fiberglass shell a few mm thick. This will allow me the space to mount stuff inside nicely. For example the ESC will be right in the path of the supercharger intake for optimal cooling.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:04 PM
Joined Mar 2011
177 Posts
Nice work Steve,you will be painting it before you know it and I'm sure it will look great
FokkerD is offline Find More Posts by FokkerD
Old Feb 03, 2013, 07:47 AM
Most people are stupid!
Joined Oct 2011
3,926 Posts
Thanks mate. Yeah hopefully It'll be done in a couple of weeks. Looking forward to getting it back in the air, I'm getting bored flying mustangs
Old Feb 07, 2013, 10:34 PM
Most people are stupid!
Joined Oct 2011
3,926 Posts
Been a bit busy this week so I haven't got a whole lot done. Most of the time spent on the plane has been shaping the nose section and cowl. Every time I look at it I see an angle or bump that is wrong. So annoying. Oh well It will be done soon, and then I can have some fun with fiber glass.

Once the cowl is done, I will have to make a spinner that somehow fits the stock FMS spinner set. I think I will build up the stock spinner with some light weight spak filler and then do a light glassing around it to hold it together and smooth it off. This way it will still fit the other two pieces of the hub assembly.

Unless I can find one in this scale.