HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 19, 2014, 12:28 PM
United States, MD, California
Joined Jan 2014
138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabin View Post
Any of you fellas test out a GWS4040 on this setup?
Not yet. I'm mostly looking at the P40 upgrade and that prop seemed a little on the small side (smaller than stock anyway).

Looking at the 9T pinion brushless thrust curves for the 5043 and 4540, the 4040 would probably generate somewhere around 45g of thrust. As i can already get that with better efficiency with the 5030 it's not really a direction i would go in.

That said, if i order any more props i might look at that it for sake of completeness.

I flight tested the 5030 prop at the weekend and it rips! Just about vertical on a fresh battery, for a bit, but tears around really nice. Alas i flew it into the dirt on the second flight, ripping a wing off in the process, and never got the chance to test the other props. Might get an opportunity this afternoon if the glue has set well.
WoodyInMD is offline Find More Posts by WoodyInMD
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 03, 2014, 07:04 PM
Joined Jan 2014
138 Posts
Does anyone know where I can tap a 'raw' throttle signal on a P51/P40/Spitfire board? By 'raw' I mean before it gets translated into the high voltage PWM value sent to the brushed motor?

I've seen a 2S brushless board taped for the same but the location doesn't translate to the micro warbird as3x receiver. I'm trying to avoid a throttle-gear mix and have a brick (well, two bricks) with burnt out FETs that are a prime candidate.....
Old Sep 04, 2014, 09:11 PM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,633 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyInMD View Post
Does anyone know where I can tap a 'raw' throttle signal on a P51/P40/Spitfire board? By 'raw' I mean before it gets translated into the high voltage PWM value sent to the brushed motor?

I've seen a 2S brushless board taped for the same but the location doesn't translate to the micro warbird as3x receiver. I'm trying to avoid a throttle-gear mix and have a brick (well, two bricks) with burnt out FETs that are a prime candidate.....
There's a video on YouTube about it, I originally saw it on the p51 as3x thread. I hope these leads prove useful in your investigation.
valiantGLX is online now Find More Posts by valiantGLX
Old Sep 04, 2014, 09:56 PM
Joined Jan 2014
138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by valiantGLX View Post
There's a video on YouTube about it, I originally saw it on the p51 as3x thread. I hope these leads prove useful in your investigation.
Cheers Valiant. I think I found the video http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1915

but it's the 2S brick on the Mig and, although it gave me some clues where to look, the location (one leg of one fet) doesn't translate to the 1s brick.

Unless I found the wrong YouTube video.....which is quite likely given the G&T infusion. Lol

Thanks again.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 09:46 PM
Wid
Live Your Dreams
United States, CA, Redwood Valley
Joined May 2001
598 Posts
yep7A BLH3327 AS3Xtra brick update

The brushless yep 7a esc has run 100s cycles with the 3327 and done as expected. No problems. Not much improvement in performance. Flies well. I will try it later in a lighter plane but this one flies fine and is holding up very well. I had to solder my own connections but you can buy plug and play yep esc from fellow rcgrouper 3drankin Just send him a PM.
Wid is offline Find More Posts by Wid
Old Oct 18, 2014, 10:03 PM
Joined Jul 2014
72 Posts
new brushed motor to consider.
Im not sure if anybody did this yet. I just put the motor from the um sport cub s in my p40 and mustang. It gives a ton more thrust. I can hover both. the motor is about 5mm longer and a slightly larger pinion gear. its a perfect fit. It made my p40 not such a dog and well my mustang is just stupid fast. It seems to perform better than the mcx brushless heli motor conversion. Id like to see thrust stand readings but dont have the equipment to measure. give it a try.
jh1985 is offline Find More Posts by jh1985
Old Oct 18, 2014, 11:53 PM
Will work for JR/Spektrum
Canada, BC, Sechelt
Joined May 2008
1,580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jh1985 View Post
new brushed motor to consider.
Im not sure if anybody did this yet. I just put the motor from the um sport cub s in my p40 and mustang. It gives a ton more thrust. I can hover both. the motor is about 5mm longer and a slightly larger pinion gear. its a perfect fit. It made my p40 not such a dog and well my mustang is just stupid fast. It seems to perform better than the mcx brushless heli motor conversion. Id like to see thrust stand readings but dont have the equipment to measure. give it a try.
Is there a name or link we can follow?
Sabin is offline Find More Posts by Sabin
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 12:26 AM
Joined Jul 2014
72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabin View Post
Is there a name or link we can follow?
http://www.horizonhobby.com/product/...-cub-s-hbz4429

http://www.horizonhobby.com/HBZ4480?...OIYaAsvT8P8HAQ
Old Yesterday, 12:30 AM
Joined Jul 2014
72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyInMD View Post

im looking for the same thing for a safe equipped board. if you can handle a few extra grams you can get a brushed signal converter.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/310446741479
Old Yesterday, 04:08 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,435 Posts
Hi guys, I just got bitten by the fixed wing bug. Been flying micro helis and quads. Brushless conversions were commonplace there. So first stop was looking for brushless conversions for the UM planes.

I just received a AS3X brick I purchased from a RCG member. It's from the UMX Radian. But physically, it looks like the ones from the UMX Spitfire and UMX P51d as far as I can see. Likely just the gyro programming is different.

Anyways, Dylan of Astroid Design earlier in this thread was pinging you guys, seeing if the UM plane people wanted plug and play brushless conversion. (Surprised you guys didn't show any interest) In the micro heli world, his kits were the benchmark. Even better than Horizon Hobby's own NanoCPX conversion kit as far as power and governor features.

Anyways, looking over his info... it seems like he did the hard work. Dylwad said that the AS3X bricks outputs a negative signal which BLheli flash ESC can understand and do the conversion. With linearity too. So I didn't find a need to look for a brushed signal upstream.

So I just did a quick hook up to see if this was true.

Yep 7a 1s-2s ESC, signal point was connected to the neg motor output of the AS3X brick. Brick is powered by the 1s lipo. Which also powers the ESC for this test.

ESC weight:

I like it because it's lightweight and can do 1s or 2s. The awesome BLHeli firmware flashed onto it handles the signal conversion and runs the motor perfectly.

Looking at the info online, seems like many of you guys like the AP05 3000kv or 5000kv. The AP05 3000kv is a good price at HobbyKing. ($16) and can change the wire termination to switch between the 3000kv to 5000kv. Good deal.

It looks like the Turnigy A1405-3000kv motor may be the same power? Even better deal at $9.15ea.

Anyways, I'll give it a try on my UM Corsair. I maiden it the other day and though I am a noobie...it felt so slow. But I'll be doing a 2S brushless conversion.

Here's the shape I drew up. I cut it out of 1mm carbon fiber and it mounted perfectly into the Corsair.

But 2S brushless would be off topic for this thread.

Cheers,
-Daryoon
Daryoon is offline Find More Posts by Daryoon
Last edited by Daryoon; Yesterday at 04:19 PM.
Old Yesterday, 05:24 PM
COPENHAGEN DENMARK
Joined Aug 2007
315 Posts
This is not a UM RADIAN brick, there is no esc out side the brick. Very nice conversion.

John
johnkielsen is online now Find More Posts by johnkielsen
Old Yesterday, 08:27 PM
Aimin at the ground an missing
Canada, BC, Courtenay
Joined Feb 2014
131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnkielsen View Post
This is not a UM RADIAN brick, there is no esc out side the brick. Very nice conversion.

John
it is a radian brick. Thats what he means. The external ESC is able to translate that brushed ESC signal straight off the board and convert it into a brushless signal.
The Jackalope is online now Find More Posts by The Jackalope
Old Yesterday, 09:34 PM
COPENHAGEN DENMARK
Joined Aug 2007
315 Posts
See the RADIAN BRICK here . http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...5-IMG_1390.jpg

John
johnkielsen is online now Find More Posts by johnkielsen
Last edited by johnkielsen; Yesterday at 09:54 PM.