HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 07, 2011, 09:26 PM
Tokyo
Joined Jan 2010
700 Posts
Can anyone say for sure if the tx can bind to a 9958?
bytemuncher is offline Find More Posts by bytemuncher
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2011, 12:21 AM
The flightless bird
Joined Aug 2004
2,292 Posts
Hey TFMeouch, I'm glad you liked the V911 too... how does your heli's rudder respond? I wonder if they are all as twitchy as mine (takes some getting used to...then it's a non-issue)

My SP has been acting up so much lately that I've just about giving up... then
I found a seller that sells the bird for 5 usd less... so I've added another one to my fleet!!
jameschen072 is online now Find More Posts by jameschen072
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 08, 2011, 07:32 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Dec 2007
300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bytemuncher View Post
Can anyone say for sure if the tx can bind to a 9958?
I managed to bind the 9958 with the V911 transmitter. However, the controls for the elevator and the ailerons are reversed. I have no idea how to reverse the controls though. Anyway, I've already ordered my Turnigy transmitter and hopefully I just need that to fly my 9958 and V911.
TFMeouch is offline Find More Posts by TFMeouch
Old Dec 08, 2011, 07:38 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Dec 2007
300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameschen072 View Post
Hey TFMeouch, I'm glad you liked the V911 too... how does your heli's rudder respond? I wonder if they are all as twitchy as mine (takes some getting used to...then it's a non-issue)

My SP has been acting up so much lately that I've just about giving up... then
I found a seller that sells the bird for 5 usd less... so I've added another one to my fleet!!
Hi jameschen072, my V911 rudder response is quite sensitive. I wouldn't say twitchy as it is only apparent when the battery is freshly charged. Once battery voltage is stabilised, I realised that it is very controllable. I have gotten used to flying it and can zip it around my living room with ease.

Oh, the infamous flybar strike hits the V911. Apparently this is the same problem that Solo Pro faced. Anyway, it was only a one off thing and it happened only because I was flying in a rather spirited manner.
Old Dec 08, 2011, 10:45 AM
Joined Dec 2011
4 Posts
which would be a better first heli ........ between the 9958 and v911
both are the same price at myrcmart
amartyashankha is offline Find More Posts by amartyashankha
Old Dec 08, 2011, 01:55 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by amartyashankha View Post
I think the 911, since it seems to be more direct in control, stock the 9958 is sliding quite a bit in the air.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Old Dec 08, 2011, 03:47 PM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Dec 2007
300 Posts
Quote:
Being owner of both the v911 and 9958, I would say the v911 is a better buy if you want a helicopter that doesn't have very steep learning curve. The 9958 tends to slide alot and takes time getting used to flying it. Plus the v911 feels better value for money with the better transmitter and extra lipo that comes with the packaging.

Did I mention also its virtually indestructible? A few direct knocks onto the wall didn't cripple anything at all. Nothing was loose at all! Even the 9958 could not achieve that.
Old Dec 08, 2011, 06:15 PM
Tokyo
Joined Jan 2010
700 Posts
I would guess the v911 would be the better deal especially considering if you want to stick with the stock tx (i.e. don't want to invest in a turnigy 9x). The v911 tx looks pretty good (lcd) for that price point. The tx that comes with the 9958 is pretty bad.
Old Dec 08, 2011, 08:48 PM
The flightless bird
Joined Aug 2004
2,292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFMeouch View Post
Hi jameschen072, my V911 rudder response is quite sensitive. I wouldn't say twitchy as it is only apparent when the battery is freshly charged. Once battery voltage is stabilised, I realised that it is very controllable. I have gotten used to flying it and can zip it around my living room with ease.

Oh, the infamous flybar strike hits the V911. Apparently this is the same problem that Solo Pro faced. Anyway, it was only a one off thing and it happened only because I was flying in a rather spirited manner.
Yup it happens on mine when the battery is freshly charged also... and wow you got the flybar to hit the canopy? I've been trying to do that for the test and didn't manage to... guess u were flying quite aggresively indeed!
I'm waiting for my 2nd v911 to arrive.. these 2 are replacing my nine eagles fleet for now... the SP and the sx have way too many problems compared to this bird...
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 08, 2011, 09:26 PM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Dec 2007
300 Posts
Hi jameschen072,

Yes I think I had the flybar strike when I was making very aggressive turns. Luckily that strike was pretty mild and didn't cause the helicopter to spin out of control.

Do you find your V911 very noisy? I find it a bit annoying, considering my 9958 is very silent during flight (but the Trex 100S is the champion here). Not sure if lubing the parts would help make it better.

My NE helicopters served me well and I am still flying them quite often. Bought a whole pack of the HK OEM 120mah batteries, so those can last me for quite some time. I didn't had any problems with my NE helicopters though. The only reason I didn't fly my Bravo SX much was because it was too noisy and it just drains the battery so quickly.

Anyway, thanks for doing that review of the V911 which in turn introduced me to a capable flyer to my ever growing fleet.
Old Dec 09, 2011, 02:54 AM
Joined Dec 2011
4 Posts
any idea what spares i shoud buy with the v911 .....
also how is the outdoor performance compared to the 9958 ??
amartyashankha is offline Find More Posts by amartyashankha
Old Dec 09, 2011, 03:02 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Dec 2007
300 Posts
Quote:
any idea what spares i shoud buy with the v911 .....
also how is the outdoor performance compared to the 9958 ??
If you are going to be flying this quite often, it could be a good idea to get a spare tail motor as they burn out quite easily. Batteries could also be handy as well. I don't see the need for other spares as I have yet to break anything (ok, maybe the small crack on the canopy counts) on my V911 after numerous rough flights. Seems like its engineered to withstand very rough handling.

I have yet to bring it outdoors but judging from flying indoors with light wind, it seems that it could handle outdoor flights pretty well. I wouldn't try that with the 9958 as it was mentioned that the stock transmitter have very limited range and no safety cut off. If I can use my Solo Pro as a gauge, I would think that the V911 should fly well even with some light wind.
Old Dec 09, 2011, 05:44 AM
The flightless bird
Joined Aug 2004
2,292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFMeouch View Post
Hi jameschen072,

Yes I think I had the flybar strike when I was making very aggressive turns. Luckily that strike was pretty mild and didn't cause the helicopter to spin out of control.

Do you find your V911 very noisy? I find it a bit annoying, considering my 9958 is very silent during flight (but the Trex 100S is the champion here). Not sure if lubing the parts would help make it better.

My NE helicopters served me well and I am still flying them quite often. Bought a whole pack of the HK OEM 120mah batteries, so those can last me for quite some time. I didn't had any problems with my NE helicopters though. The only reason I didn't fly my Bravo SX much was because it was too noisy and it just drains the battery so quickly.

Anyway, thanks for doing that review of the V911 which in turn introduced me to a capable flyer to my ever growing fleet.
Hey TFMeouch,
My V911 is slightly noisier than my SP but I think it is quite a bit more powerful despite the motors looking the same... that said it is MUCH quieter than the SX...and as you said...the SX uses up too much power too quickly..

I think using the OEM batteries on the SP and SX do help the boards and stuff last longer.. I've been flying stock batteries and burned through many rx boards. Unfortunately I cannot get those batteries here in China (ironically..as they most likely are made here) I think I'll have to use the SP as a backup bird and the SX as a parts doner.

cant wait till my 2nd V911 comes because it is coming with a free r/c car made by the same company! (WLtoys)... Will have pictures up when I get it! =]

ANYWAYS... I am very glad that you decided to get this heli too! I'd feel lonely if I were the only one flying this awesome heli
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 09, 2011, 06:33 AM
Joined Jan 2011
338 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameschen072 View Post
[...]cant wait till my 2nd V911 comes because it is coming with a free r/c car made by the same company! (WLtoys)... Will have pictures up when I get it! =]
[...]
Where did you buy your V911 with the free rc car?

I would buy one, too...
helicopcat is offline Find More Posts by helicopcat
Old Dec 09, 2011, 07:12 AM
Tokyo
Joined Jan 2010
700 Posts
Does the v911 head look transplantable to a 9958? I don't like the perpetual tbe of the 9958 and prefer the flight characteristics of the solo pro.

Daryoon did a mod putting the SP head assembly onto a 9958, but I think it might be cheaper (and possibly no drilling required?) to buy the spare parts for a v911 head and assemble it on a 9958.

Found some cheap v911 spare parts here http://www.hobby-wing.com/v911-spare-parts.html