HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 23, 2011, 03:41 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sviking View Post
I just...can't...stop...ordering...stuff for the mCP X I don't even have yet! Should be here tomorrow, but I went ahead and ordered some 1 x 4 x 1.12mm Boca Bearings to replace the stock blade grip bearings. I want NO part of this blade slinging crap. I've used Boca Bearings for many years and never, ever had one fail, tighten up, get rough, etc. $12 with free shipping is cheap peace of mind...
+1

Ordered a couple sets of those last week just to have 'em on-hand. (EDIT: I ordered Boca's 1.5 x 4 x 1.12 mm bearings.)

I have always used Boca replacements when doing major overhauls on my RC engines. I used them in the motors, drivelines, and hubs on my RC cars back when I raced on & off-road electrics. I've also never had one fail or even get rough.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Mar 23, 2011 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Updated info
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 23, 2011, 03:42 PM
United Kingdom, Knutsford
Joined Feb 2011
204 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, fishing line threaded through the blade grips is a much simpler and cheaper (i.e. free as I already have suitable weight line) "solution" to a problem...that shouldn't even exist.
What is the best knot to tie the fishing line? Mine comes apart after a few flights.
ihover is offline Find More Posts by ihover
Old Mar 23, 2011, 03:47 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihover View Post
What is the best knot to tie the fishing line? Mine comes apart after a few flights.
A fishing line knot?
http://www.fish4fun.com/bloodknot.htm
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Mar 23, 2011, 03:48 PM
Joined Jul 2007
34 Posts
FWIW, I have been using Kevlar thread as a blade-grip safety. Haven't had the grips fail though, so I cannot tell you how the Kevlar holds up. I'll post here if it does fail.
clintfisher is offline Find More Posts by clintfisher
Suspended Account
Prescott, AZ
Joined Jan 2011
2,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
Definitely an excellent choice. The harder you try to pull that knot apart, the tighter it gets. The line will break first.
sviking is offline Find More Posts by sviking
If it ain't broke, fix it.
USA, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2004
1,187 Posts
Quote:
I just...can't...stop...ordering...stuff for the mCP X I don't even have yet! Should be here tomorrow, but I went ahead and ordered some 1 x 4 x 1.12mm Boca Bearings to replace the stock blade grip bearings. I want NO part of this blade slinging crap. I've used Boca Bearings for many years and never, ever had one fail, tighten up, get rough, etc. $12 with free shipping is cheap peace of mind...
Which ones did you order exactly? I'm thinking about it, but I'll probably guard them like little nuggets of gold since they are so spendy.
Hasher66 is offline Find More Posts by Hasher66
Old Mar 23, 2011, 03:49 PM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Quote:
I use this one
http://www.fintalk.com/fishing-knots...mono-knot.html
But if you use spiderwire you need a different knot as it is coated line.
indoorheli is offline Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed
Old Mar 23, 2011, 03:49 PM
Joined Apr 2009
1,574 Posts
Monofilament requires special knots or they come undone. Just look up fishing knots. For braided fishing line I used 2 bowline knots which are nice and strong. I also put a drop of CA on each knot for security.

YMMV, Don

Quote:
dbennettya is offline Find More Posts by dbennettya
Last edited by dbennettya; Mar 23, 2011 at 05:16 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Mar 23, 2011, 03:50 PM
Suspended Account
Prescott, AZ
Joined Jan 2011
2,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
+1

Ordered a couple sets of those last week just to have 'em on-hand. I have always used Boca replacements when doing major overhauls on my RC engines. I used them in the motors, drivelines, and hubs on my RC cars back when I raced on & off-road electrics. I've also never had one fail or even get rough.

Joel
I'm going to swap the Bocas in for the stock bearings before even flying it. No sense in messing around with any potential problem of slinging a blade in flight.
sviking is offline Find More Posts by sviking
Old Mar 23, 2011, 03:59 PM
Joined Jul 2007
34 Posts
Also, regarding Fragzilla's video of blade separation, I'm GLAD he posted the video and am having a tough time believing it somehow diminishes credibility of others who have experienced blade separation.

The FACT is that blade grips have been releasing.
The FACT is that they release with DANGEROUS velocities that could easily take a bystander's eye out with little to no warning.

Yes, the MCPx is already a potentially hazardous aircraft, but typically a bystander would have time to duck, dodge, or shield themselves from the whole heli. But a thrown blade? It's pretty much like a bullet, leaving a bystander little to no chance of dodging that "bullet".

Regardless of how he instigated the separation (which he's been fairly clear about), Fragzilla's video demonstrates the very REAL danger of blade separation, and gives a good warning to others to be sure to pre-flight their aircraft carefully or add a safety measure.

I'm glad he made the video, and am sad to see folks trashing him about it.

Having said all this, I LOVE my two MCPx's. HH's customer service has been great to me, and I'd recommend this bird (and a simulator) for anyone wanting to get into CP helis without completely draining their bank account.

Peace
clintfisher is offline Find More Posts by clintfisher
Old Mar 23, 2011, 04:10 PM
2 seconds from crashing
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintfisher View Post
The FACT is that they release with DANGEROUS velocities that could easily take a bystander's eye out with little to no warning.
You think a mCP size is dangerous (kinda without glasses in a small room) ...what about a 450 size?

Happens at 4:18
trex 450 sport blade ejection (4 min 22 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 23, 2011, 04:26 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbennettya View Post
Monofilament requires special knots or they come undone. Just look up fishing knots. For braided fishing line I used 2 boluns which are nice and strong. I also put a drop of CA on each knot for security.

YMMV, Don
Ok I let you get away with that last time, but I can't take it any more...

http://www.google.com/search?q=bolun
http://www.google.com/search?q=bowline

The bowline is effective at making a loop which won't slip. It's not the best knot for tying two lines together. For that, you want a bloodknot or if the lines are different sizes, a sheet bend. I've tied a lot of fishing line together in my day, and the bloodknot when done correctly will not come apart - there is a way to do it wrong though, and it will slip apart immediately.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Mar 23, 2011, 04:32 PM
Plane and Heli Abuser
United States, MO, St Louis
Joined Aug 2010
426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintfisher View Post
Also, regarding Fragzilla's video of blade separation, I'm GLAD he posted the video and am having a tough time believing it somehow diminishes credibility of others who have experienced blade separation.

The FACT is that blade grips have been releasing.

Yes, the MCPx is already a potentially hazardous aircraft, but typically a bystander would have time to duck, dodge, or shield themselves from the whole heli. But a thrown blade? It's pretty much like a bullet, leaving a bystander little to no chance of dodging that "bullet".

Regardless of how he instigated the separation (which he's been fairly clear about), Fragzilla's video demonstrates the very REAL danger of blade separation, and gives a good warning to others to be sure to pre-flight their aircraft carefully or add a safety measure.

I'm glad he made the video, and am sad to see folks trashing him about it.

Having said all this, I LOVE my two MCPx's. HH's customer service has been great to me, and I'd recommend this bird (and a simulator) for anyone wanting to get into CP helis without completely draining their bank account.

Peace
Clint,
My previous comments and observations about Fragzilla's video were not meant to diminish the experience of others here with regards to safety issues they have encountered with grip bearings and blade tossing.

In fact, his video was made with a clear intention (by his own audio on the vid) of tossing a blade. I think when someone IS injured that this website along with others will be researched by lawyers seeking evidence to show misuse to win lawsuits. I don't want to get into that subject as lawyers really me off when they try to leverage the misfortune of others to line their own pockets, but in truth the credibility of others may very well be questioned by "stunts" of a relative small number of people. I think that is the point many members, myself included are trying to make here.

Fly safe everyone

Ron
Pilot in MO is offline Find More Posts by Pilot in MO
Old Mar 23, 2011, 04:34 PM
2 seconds from crashing
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Why would you need a bloodknot? why not instead tie a non-slip loop in each end of a piece of fishing line?

If you dont want to tie a double loop youself, I can sell you one for only $12.99 shipped...and that is still cheaper than other companies offerings
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 23, 2011, 04:41 PM
United Kingdom, Knutsford
Joined Feb 2011
204 Posts
I am confused. Inspected my blade grip bearings and found one bearing to be copper on both sides, and the other to be silver on both sides. I thought one side is supposed to be silver and the other side copper?
ihover is offline Find More Posts by ihover