SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 27, 2010, 12:20 AM
fort lauderdale FL
Joined Jul 2009
144 Posts
Discussion
info on pivot type wing gliders???

OK,maybe someone can help.what do they call this type of glider where the hole wing tilts as an aileron.each wing half is independent of each other,and is on a bearing type system( Blingeron )where you can use the wing as ailerons,spoilerons or flaps i guess.any info on where to buy such a glider ?who sells them.thanks guys......
andrewfl is offline Find More Posts by andrewfl
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 27, 2010, 01:12 AM
Alphabets make great soup
Australia, QLD, Toowoomba
Joined Jul 2008
1,860 Posts
They are called Wingeron or Pitcheron gliders. Wingerons use a single servo to drive both wings in opposite directions for roll and have a regular elevator to control pitch. Pitcherons use a servo for each wing. Using a delta/elevon mix both wings are driven in the same direction for pitch and in opposite directions for roll.

I can't think of any electric twist wing gliders but are a few slope gliders around like this.

Skyking RC make the Shrike and are soon to be producing the Spyder.

CR Aircraft Make the Turbo, Contender, and soon will be producing the Savaron.

Zaerotech make the Zip 33 and Zip 55.

Or they show up occasionally on the FS/W board. Probably the most common one to show up there is the SIG Samurai. Other ones to looks out for are Shredder, Rotor, Vmax, Xica, Mach 1, and Pica. Plenty more out there.

Or you could just build your own. There are Rotor, Vmax, and Xica plans here. I built a Rotor from these plans and it flies great.

You can't use flaps, spoilers, etc, because there are no control surfaces on the wings. Some of them will use a pop up canopy to slow them down a bit. Search 'Feldvebel Kestrel' for an example of a pop up speed brake on a pitcheron.

Wing drive is usually done with a pin and slotted cam but there are other methods out there like the co-ax blingeron system.

If you want to learn more just search the slope forum for 'wingeron, 'pitcheron, 'TWF', or any of the plane names mentioned above.

Hope that helps,

Jordan
Hamburglar is online now Find More Posts by Hamburglar
Old Jul 27, 2010, 01:24 AM
Alphabets make great soup
Australia, QLD, Toowoomba
Joined Jul 2008
1,860 Posts
Just remembered this one-> Crobe It can be built as an electric.

And here's another small one which I think was designed by the same person as the Crobe.

It would be difficult to convert most of the common twist wing gliders to electric power. They generally have slim fuselages and a lot of room inside is taken up by the wing servos and hardware.

Jordan
Hamburglar is online now Find More Posts by Hamburglar
Old Jul 27, 2010, 01:34 AM
fort lauderdale FL
Joined Jul 2009
144 Posts
Hamburglar... thanks ,very good info..electric is what i need,that's all i fly here in FL,any cool e gliders that have this type wing would be nice? something new for me that i think is very interesting and different.
Last edited by andrewfl; Jul 27, 2010 at 01:51 AM.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 11:55 AM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,411 Posts
You'll want to look at the wing tube more as a bearing than as a simple tube. To keep the loads on the servo lower it would help if your wing rod only touches at the root and at the end of the rod. That way flexing during higher G loads won't cause the wing rod to bind in the tube and load up the servo(s). You'll also want to use a really big and powerful quarter scale servo for this application. Not so much for the flight loads but for general handling and landings where the wings will get twisted around harshly and put big loads on the servo gears.

Years ago I knew someone that tried wingerons for a thermal glider. He only used about plus and minus 1/4 to 5/16 inch of travel for a total of 1/2 to 5/8 movement and the model was VERY touchy in roll. So don't get carried away.

You'll also soon find that you need to be very careful when flying slowly near the stall. With wingerons there is no exponential possible. If you try it the exponential just introduces some pitching instead of doing what it's intended. So the wing that moves down at the trailing edge is increasing its angle of attack. When flying right near the stall this can often produce a stall on the wing that is trying to lift up and suddenly the model rolls and yaws the opposite of what you wanted. So it's not all peaches and cream with wingerons which is why you seldom see them other than with slope models that typically seldom fly close to the stall speed.

And obviously if you want flaps or spoileron function you'd need to install separate flaps servos in each panel since with wingerons there's no separate camber altering surfaces.

My own thoughts are that wingerons would be great to try with a hotliner but not as great on a serious thermal catcher. If you try it we'll all be super interested in the results.
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Jul 27, 2010, 07:00 PM
fort lauderdale FL
Joined Jul 2009
144 Posts
i sure do want to try it,just need to find one that is electric or i can make electric? like to find one 2m or bigger,any info out there on such a glider??arf that can or is wingeron style e-glider?
Old Sep 10, 2014, 06:51 PM
Joined Jun 2014
148 Posts
Hi Guys, i am adapting a kit EPP 3D EPP model into a Wingeron or Pitcheron model.
What i am interested to know, if anyone can help me,,, will the extra servo to make pitcherons be worthwhile. I know for gliders it increases pitch, but in a 3D model when i use flaperons with aileron and elevator (most maneuvers use both) they tend to cancel each other out and the pitch suffers. I am thinking this may be the same problem with pitcherons but i dont know.
I know setting up will be easier with 2 servos as i can simply use the sub trims to align wings, and again trim to fly level. I guess also it would be great to experimenting with mixing with the elevator and even throttle.
What are your thoughts anyone please? The model in question is:-
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2242280
Tony
Harlem is offline Find More Posts by Harlem