HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 09, 2009, 04:08 AM
Joined Mar 2007
218 Posts
Discussion
New UAV Company

Anyone heard about the new UAV Company called
"Whisper Aerospace "? Here's the take
"Whisper Aerospace is a new company founded by a group of individuals with a very diverse range of technical skills, all working to create and bring to market the first Commercial/Civilian UAVs that will be able to fly in the NAS (National Airspace System). Our UAVs will feature reasonable payload capacity and operational performance, thereby offering clients considerable flexibility in solving their needs for an airborne platform that is not hampered by the relatively low performance and restricted operational capabilities of current systems. Multiple communications protocols and power sources will be available inside our standardized payload modules in order to make it easier to integrate client hardware. Our ground control systems will be very user-friendly and offer a wide range of options and customizable features."
spitfiremk9 is offline Find More Posts by spitfiremk9
Last edited by spitfiremk9; Jun 17, 2009 at 07:36 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 09, 2009, 06:12 PM
Joined Oct 2005
387 Posts
Jesus????
Ok ok no in all seriousness, why guess when you can tell us, right?
Tuner is offline Find More Posts by Tuner
Old Jun 09, 2009, 06:55 PM
Moore, Oklahoma
Joined Oct 2004
4,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfiremk9
Anyone heard about the new UAV Company called
"Whisper Aerospace "? Here's the take
"Whisper Aerospace is a new company founded by a group of individuals with a very diverse range of technical skills, all working to create and bring to market the first Commercial/Civilian UAVs that will be able to fly in the NAS (National Airspace System). Our UAVs will feature reasonable payload capacity and operational performance, thereby offering clients considerable flexibility in solving their needs for an airborne platform that is not hampered by the relatively low performance and restricted operational capabilities of current systems. Multiple communications protocols and power sources will be available inside our standardized payload modules in order to make it easier to integrate client hardware. Our ground control systems will be very user-friendly and offer a wide range of options and customizable features."
GUESS WHO'S ON THE BOARD!

Yes we have heard of them and yes you have a good group of individuals working together.

Youíre Point?

You will still have to deal with regulations that have not been made yet as the rest of us that chose to go this wrought....
airmcn_3 is offline Find More Posts by airmcn_3
Old Jun 09, 2009, 09:14 PM
Joined Jan 2009
376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airmcn_3
Yes we have heard of them and yes you have a good group of individuals working together.

Youíre Point?

You will still have to deal with regulations that have not been made yet as the rest of us that chose to go this wrought....

It's the end users responsibility to obey the regulations. The UAV manufacturer has none short of stay below 400ft and stay within VLOS.
tekrunner is offline Find More Posts by tekrunner
Old Jun 09, 2009, 09:29 PM
Moore, Oklahoma
Joined Oct 2004
4,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekrunner
It's the end users responsibility to obey the regulations. The UAV manufacturer has none short of stay below 400ft and stay within VLOS.

Not necessarily true. Believe me we know..... You have to have a way to test the aircraft in Auto and be able to prove the capabilities you claim to sell to the end user. In order to do so you would have to break the law as they consider even a company looking at the viable option of the UAV market with a functional prototype a commercial company, weather they make $ or not. And given they are not handing out COA's or CAA's in the USA for commercial operation that would mean you canít develop legally and sell your aircraft.

You know the interesting thing about this group is you have Patrick Egan on the team, he has directly stated many times that there will be no legal commercial or hobby UAS operations in the near future. He is adamant that we canít change their mind as well.......
Old Jun 09, 2009, 10:22 PM
Joined Jan 2009
376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airmcn_3
Not necessarily true. Believe me we know..... You have to have a way to test the aircraft in Auto and be able to prove the capabilities you claim to sell to the end user. In order to do so you would have to break the law as they consider even a company looking at the viable option of the UAV market with a functional prototype a commercial company, weather they make $ or not. And given they are not handing out COA's or CAA's in the USA for commercial operation that would mean you canít develop legally and sell your aircraft.

You know the interesting thing about this group is you have Patrick Egan on the team, he has directly stated many times that there will be no legal commercial or hobby UAS operations in the near future. He is adamant that we canít change their mind as well.......

If Pat believes they will never be legal why is he starting a commercial UAV company?
tekrunner is offline Find More Posts by tekrunner
Old Jun 09, 2009, 10:53 PM
Moore, Oklahoma
Joined Oct 2004
4,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekrunner
If Pat believes they will never be legal why is he starting a commercial UAV company?

I do not believe he is starting it I believe he was asked to be apart of it. I think itís a great idea but it has proven itself that it takes a lot more then a room full of qualifications to get this type of venture going.... Maybe Pat was a part of the list prior to the suggested regulations being released.....
Old Jun 10, 2009, 01:05 AM
SlowStick Test Pilot
Yumastan RCAPA.NET
Joined Feb 2003
5,886 Posts
It is not that I donít believe that theyíll (the rules) ever change; it will just take some hard work and participation by people from this segment. My problem is that there are no provisions for the amateur and that mom and pop will be in direct competition with the vendors. We as a group are self funded while the vendors dip into large overhead budgets for development of systems. I had a conversation with Ted Weirzbanowski yesterday and we had a laugh about the small group of people actually complying with the regulations.
I will say that I am encouraged by the direction that the European effort is taking. They are talking about science and not painting the industry with one broad brush.
patrickegan is offline Find More Posts by patrickegan
Old Jun 10, 2009, 07:37 AM
Fly low, fly FAST!
United States, AZ, Lake Havasu City
Joined Jun 2004
111 Posts
Hey, guys. I am the CEO of Whisper Aerospace, and one of Pat's partners in this business, and yes, it IS a business. We have not, nor will we ever break any current rules while developing and testing our products. We very recently had our first successful test of our own proprietary autopilot system, mounted in a large RC airplane and flown below 400' AGL on a remote dry lake bed in the southwestern US, and under direct RC control at all times (the autopilot system can move the servos through a priority switching circuit that can be over-ridden at any time by the RC system). Our proof of concept airframe design is progressing and when we are ready to begin flight testing with the autopilot system onboard, we will have the appropriate authorizations and safety protocols in place. The difference between us and most others attempting to develop a small UAS is that we are not limiting size. Our UAS is strictly PERFORMANCE based. Although I do not like giving up information to would be competitors, I will say this: successful type certification and operational authorization will be dependant on the UAS having sufficient equipment, of sufficient redundancy, and a level of performance (with all that equipment, as well as planned or projected payload) that will allow it to operate with a level of safety equal to or greater than that required of transport category aicraft. Yes, you heard me correctly. TRANSPORT CATEGORY AIRCRAFT. How you accomplish that is the challenge. And that is not all that will be required, either. There's more, but I'm not willing to share any of that here. Our team has a very clearly defined set of parameters and well thought out plans to achieve the parameters we know will be necessary to accomplish the goal. For some of us on the team, it's an idea, or set of ideas, that has been fermenting for some time (in my case - more than 10 years), and has only been waiting on certain technologies to mature to the point that they are small and light enough, as well as affordable enough (a hugely relative term!) in order to make this work. All the necessary ingredients are now available, as it were, and we hope that we will be the first to stir it all together into something that will be able to fly alongside manned aircraft in civilian airspace, carrying a payload in "revenue flight". Its an ambitious project, but it has great potential for success. I wish everyone the best of luck in the pursuit of their own projects, but I strongly believe that the coming regulations are going to be very restrictive for the small systems, and thus limit whatever commercial potential they have. Our company is in this to make money, so the ability to operate like a manned aircraft is of absolute necessity. Our goal is to have a UAS that looks like, acts like and communicates like a high performance (again a relative term) manned aircraft, at least to the air traffic controllers and other pilots who share the same airspace. I think we will succeed, but it won't be something you'll be reading about next week, or next month. In a year or so? Maybe, hopefully. We certainly are giving it our best effort, and that is substantial.

Keith McLellan
1st2fly@msn.com
keithskye is offline Find More Posts by keithskye
Old Jun 10, 2009, 10:57 AM
Gaftopher
Nottingham Road South Africa/Bedford UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,864 Posts
Size isn't everything
Gary Mortimer is offline Find More Posts by Gary Mortimer
Old Jun 10, 2009, 12:29 PM
Near Austin
Joined Dec 2001
5,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Mortimer
Size isn't everything
What would rather pull your wagon? A Shetland pony or a Percheron?
CenTexFlyer is offline Find More Posts by CenTexFlyer
Old Jun 10, 2009, 12:34 PM
Joined Mar 2007
218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Mortimer
Size isn't everything
Hahahahahahaha, very good
spitfiremk9 is offline Find More Posts by spitfiremk9
Old Jun 10, 2009, 12:51 PM
Gaftopher
Joined Feb 2007
3,864 Posts
You guys might still pull wagons in the colonies but we have moved on.

Oh hang on a minute car plants are closing across the world.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 02:28 PM
Minnesota
Joined Sep 2004
504 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CenTexFlyer
What would rather pull your wagon? A Shetland pony or a Percheron?
I want which ever one my government tells me I should use. :-)
clolson is offline Find More Posts by clolson
Old Jun 10, 2009, 02:34 PM
Gaftopher
Joined Feb 2007
3,864 Posts
As the Percheron pull beer wagons (draught horses), I will have a Percheron please.