SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by LKruse, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 03:25 PM
United States, OK, Lawton
Joined May 2007
59 Posts
Rant
Finally tripped my trigger

After reading innumerable classified listings in this section that can't differentiate between the words "definitely" and "defiantly", I am defiantly chastising "No Child Left Behind" for definitely destroying people's abilities to master even the most rudimentary vocabulary and spelling skills. Geez! These folks may as well use texting shorthand to list their items for sale.
LKruse is online now Find More Posts by LKruse
Old Jan 14, 2015, 03:56 PM
AMA 1062811
United States, IL, Waukegan
Joined Sep 2014
91 Posts
Perhaps RCG can be the 1st of the internet's forums to incorporate a grammar filter and rate/place a post higher or lower in the list based on the poster's ability to use words more better.
SuperScratchy is offline Find More Posts by SuperScratchy
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 14, 2015, 03:57 PM
United States, NY, Eldred
Joined Jun 2012
1,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKruse View Post
These folks may as well use texting shorthand to list their items for sale.
Keep on reading as some do! I agree that our written language is quickly circling the drain. The ads here bother you? How about this...my wife is an elementary teacher and it's been proposed to teach "texting shorthand" in school! In addition, kids today don't have to learn how to write in cursive; so not only will they not know how to spell, they won't know how to write it either
kimchiyuk is online now Find More Posts by kimchiyuk
Old Jan 14, 2015, 06:11 PM
Dragons, WindMills, all Same
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined May 2002
4,577 Posts
1 mae be wronge as Anglish is ah confusiong lanquage.

Modern English language is quite confusing.

My wife is a retired Union school teacher from a south east LA continuation high school,with a Masters in English and Political Science. Yet, she still continues to learn our English language is Dynamic.

Jared
jcstalls is online now Find More Posts by jcstalls
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 14, 2015, 09:30 PM
United States, NH, Suncook
Joined Oct 2010
595 Posts
how many ads do you see where sale is used instead of sell as in I want to sale my xxxxx
I am no English major by a longshot but using words out of context is irritating. Too much reliance on technology and not enough brain power. For example Ha a leaking water pump on my Mitsubishi Gallant, wanted an estimate because you have to remove an engine mount and timing belt to get to the pump. The shop I took it to insisted that it had to be hooked up to a Diagnostics computer first for $88.Ended up taking it home and doing it myself
sagomon is online now Find More Posts by sagomon
Old Jan 15, 2015, 12:59 AM
AMA 1062811
United States, IL, Waukegan
Joined Sep 2014
91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchiyuk View Post
...kids today don't have to learn how to write in cursive
This is the 1st I've heard of this. I'm deeply disturbed by this fact. I take a little comfort knowing that my handwriting will be considered 'secret code' by youngsters.
SuperScratchy is offline Find More Posts by SuperScratchy
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2015, 02:00 AM
Mountain Home, Ar.
Joined Dec 2009
359 Posts
kimchiyuk is 100% accurate when he says kids are not taught cursive writing in schools today. Due to some unfortunate circumstances, we became legal guardians of two teenage girls a few years ago. They have both said they were never taught to write in cursive. I handed the younger one a list of items the other day that I needed to make a pot of potato soup. She immediately handed it back to me and said she could not read cursive, had no idea what the list said. I was an English major at a notable university and my handwriting is not that bad. It disgusts me that kids these days can not read, write or even spell words with more than five letters in them, disgust directed at the school curriculum, not the kids.
JollyPopper200 is online now Find More Posts by JollyPopper200
Old Jan 15, 2015, 10:52 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
9,445 Posts
I was so overwhelmed by the lack of writing and communicating skills, that I did a spoof on the subject last year.

It included the words often substituted for others...(there, they're, their, and the classic "thier" )

It eventually became clear that the majority of people have reached a plateau in knowledge acquisition, and are content at that level.

"I wanted to 'sale' something"..-too funny.
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: "Bucket lists"
Old Jan 15, 2015, 11:35 AM
United States, NY, Eldred
Joined Jun 2012
1,083 Posts
My personal favorite is when people use "are" for "our".
She said it was their's, but I done did say it was are's....funny, but sad!
kimchiyuk is online now Find More Posts by kimchiyuk
Old Jan 15, 2015, 06:05 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2014
3 Posts
I'm not certain of the extent to which my perceptions are accurate, but I also see this erosion of (primarily but far from exclusively) written communication, and so often that it has, for me, become a time-sucking editing trap. I find myself composing e-mail after e-mail to online-magazine writers, and indeed even editors, who publish content with many of the same errors already described in this thread, along with many, many more. A huge time sink, and of course I probably come across as a sanctimonious know-it-all or crackpot.

I understand, to an extent, the time pressure now forcing journalists and other professionals to, for instance, post material online that they want to spend more time preparing. I strongly sympathize with these types of dilemmas, although I can't absolve the people involved altogether, since I seem to spot these errors of spelling, grammar, etc. easily. As I am neither a professional editor nor very bright in general, is it really so difficult for the pros to give content a final once-over? Probably shouldn't be too quick to judge here...I really don't know.

BUT....I am fairly secure in soap-boxing specifics such as (since we are illustrating our personal favorites) the deplorable denegration of "literally" (a term for which there is no substitute, and the misuse of which can and does cause real confusion), the dimunition of "unique" (via ranking modifiers, e.g. "That quadcopter is very unique"), the nearly-wanton disregard, to the point of unintelligibility, of even basic grammar, among other things, in text messaging, and (joining the charge with fresh horses here) the appalling extinction of skilled handwriting.

This last issue, the intentional deselection of "cursive" writing instruction in schools, is possibly the most tragic. I might never have been aware of it, but ironically, I recently made a concerted effort to honor the beautiful handwriting of my grandfather by improving my own handwriting, and became curious about the topic more broadly.

Apparently, alongside the immediately-evident consequences incurred from the erosion and devaluing of a foundational skill and monumental tradition, there is mounting evidence of a significant cognitive price to be paid. The developing brain, it is hypothesized, exploits a number of neurological effects to which handwriting practice give rise, effects no other instruction or experience produce. Perhaps even more importantly, the very processes by which we think, the way we organize our perceptions and communications, even the way we sense the world - and the other people in it - are shaped to our fundamental benefit, via the effects of handwriting. We may be creating deficits in our young people that are not, and maybe can not, be offset, readily perceived and understood, or easily attenuated.

But who knows...maybe I'm just falling into the same trap as many of our parents and grandparents, predicting doom in the form of too much television, evil video games, or (I guess if you go back far enough) long haired "hippies" and "free love." But then I remember Benjamin Franklin's comment, arguing in support of the new US constitution: "...and there is no form of government but what may be a blessing to the people if well administered...and I believe this (the government as proposed in the new constitution) WILL be well administered - for a course of years - and can only end in despotism, as other forms have done before it, when the people shall become so corrupted as to need despotic government, being incapable of any other."

And of course, on this very board, I just read a thread regarding a trading miscommunication that has apparently had small but unfortunate consequences, and were by forum members tied with great clarity to some shortcomings in buyer and seller communication skills. I wonder how often this bites us right here.
SFKeepay is offline Find More Posts by SFKeepay
Last edited by SFKeepay; Jan 15, 2015 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Augment topical and thematic relevancy
Old Jan 20, 2015, 09:06 PM
Bombs away! Err...landing
Upper Hutt, New Zealand
Joined Apr 2006
2,430 Posts
On the other hand, cursive writing serves practically no purpose over "normal" writing. While many older people seem to be completely unable to manage basic necessities of life required to simply function, such as texting, or operating electronics.
Ira NZ is online now Find More Posts by Ira NZ
Old Jan 24, 2015, 03:12 AM
The cycle is complete.
Canada, BC, Sechelt
Joined May 2008
1,970 Posts
Cursive writing.

heh, yeah I was taught that in school; and we used it for about two years. Then we learned that we had to print all our stuff from that point on.

Cursive should be an elective course in high school. or a minor in college.
Sabin is online now Find More Posts by Sabin
Old Jan 27, 2015, 04:14 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2014
3 Posts
There is a growing body of research regarding handwriting, general literacy, long term success...here's a tiny snippet:

"It now appears that there may even be a difference between printing and cursive writing .... cursive writing may train self-control ability in a way that other modes of writing do not..."

(Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/03/sc...ades.html?_r=1)

Apparently it can be especially useful helping with various learning disabilities.....like for me remembering my levator maximus from my elevator control stick..

It is definitely unusual for an "old timer" to be as comfortable with, say, texting and fb as with his bingo game, which maybe points out that it's everyone's responsibility irrespective of age to have a solid grasp and skillset - to be "fluent" and able to use all these mediums...maybe a (healthy) 90-year old has the same obligation to be able to slam a text as a 20-year old to compose a grammatically-correct paragraph written in cursive...

What is fun is reading some of the international RC sales websites..."...smoothly gimbal action will increase all your pleasure and your other glamor!"

Of ourse, for a real laugh, try to read my Chinese...
SFKeepay is offline Find More Posts by SFKeepay
Old Jan 28, 2015, 11:07 PM
micro- modding madman
United States, VA, Charlottesville
Joined Aug 2014
447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperScratchy View Post
This is the 1st I've heard of this. I'm deeply disturbed by this fact. I take a little comfort knowing that my handwriting will be considered 'secret code' by youngsters.
I was taught cursive. The kids I babysit still do cursive. The only thing that really stands out to me about my cursive education was that I 'wasn't allowed' to know cursive until fourth grade.

But I do agree that it's shocking that spelling that should seem rudimentary or even mundane can be confused.
Julezwatts is online now Find More Posts by Julezwatts