HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 27, 2014, 11:12 AM
Joined Mar 2010
532 Posts
Build Log
Scale Build-Off 4: 48 inch Stearman by Aerodrome RC

I ordered a Stearman short kit from Manzano laser and was very pleased with the quality.

I started with the tail surfaces. Construction of the elevator and horizontal stab are straightforward. I cut the stringers from sheet balsa with a stripping tool. Just regular wood glue. nothing exotic.
SubManEric is offline Find More Posts by SubManEric
Last edited by SubManEric; Oct 15, 2014 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Chnge Thread Title
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2014, 11:20 AM
Joined Mar 2010
532 Posts
I also laid out the rudder and vertical stabilizer.

One piece to watch is S13. There is an S13 piece that is 1/8 inch like the rest of the frame. The plans have a lamination with a 1/16 balsa piece between to 1/64 in ply pieces. The lamination seems to make the separate 1/8 in piece unnecessary.

Make sure to line up the lamination correctly to leave room for the tailwheel wire later on. I think the pictures clarify what I am saying.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 11:22 AM
Joined Mar 2010
532 Posts
Langley AFB Airshow 2009 - John Mohr Stearman Aerobatics (Totally Cool!!) (9 min 3 sec)

Finally, a motivational video!
Old Sep 27, 2014, 12:54 PM
Designing on the edge
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Mar 2001
1,533 Posts
The laminated parts for S13 were a later addition and I just forgot to remove the old S13 from the cut file.

Kay
Bengtson is offline Find More Posts by Bengtson
Old Sep 27, 2014, 03:15 PM
Joined Mar 2010
532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengtson View Post
The laminated parts for S13 were a later addition and I just forgot to remove the old S13 from the cut file.

Kay
I like the change. The lamination sure makes the rudder control horn mount much stronger for virtually no weight change. And I think the tailwheel strut gets bent in there, making the tailwheel steerable. Nice.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 05:24 PM
Joined Mar 2010
532 Posts
Fuselage construction has begun. I use regular wood glue to give me plenty of time to make small adjustments, using my builder's square to ensure everything is perfectly vertical and aligned. For the plywood former supporting the landing gear, I used 30 minute epoxy. That may be overkill, but better safe than sorry here.

It helps to sand the slots in the formers so they slide smoothly on the side keel. Alternatively I could have sanded the side keel a little.

I started with the center keels, top and bottom, and the formers on either end and the center keel. Once those were dry, putting the other formers in was easy.

I remembered to install the blind nuts for the saddle clamps needed for the landing gear. That will be easier than trying to install everything after the former is glued in place.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 05:37 PM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,480 Posts
Very nice Eric. Kay designs some awesome models that fly fantastic. Looking forward to watching your progress.
vonJaerschky is offline Find More Posts by vonJaerschky
Old Sep 28, 2014, 07:30 PM
Joined Mar 2010
532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonJaerschky View Post
Very nice Eric. Kay designs some awesome models that fly fantastic. Looking forward to watching your progress.
Frank, I couldn't agree with you more. I am so happy her models are still available. My Pfalz DIIIa flies so well it is ridiculous. And NOBODY else has one at any of the clubs I've belonged to.

Am I missing something? I don't see an active build for you. Taking a break?
Old Sep 28, 2014, 08:13 PM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,480 Posts
I've gone back over to the dark side........http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1975921 It's a pretty extensive build. I've been at it for over a year now.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 10:49 PM
United States, MI, Kalamazoo
Joined Aug 2009
245 Posts
Eric
Looks great. I've not seen this one built so I look forward to following along
Taylor
cobra16 is offline Find More Posts by cobra16
Old Sep 29, 2014, 01:58 AM
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined May 2008
3,517 Posts
Watching with interest!
bwoollia is online now Find More Posts by bwoollia
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 29, 2014, 07:36 AM
United States, MI, Kalamazoo
Joined Sep 2011
9 Posts
Ohh! I'll be watching this one too! One of my favorite aircraft.
blulikecheese is offline Find More Posts by blulikecheese
Old Sep 29, 2014, 07:02 PM
Joined Mar 2010
532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonJaerschky View Post
I've gone back over to the dark side........http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1975921 It's a pretty extensive build. I've been at it for over a year now.
Frank - what a fantastic project. I like your time goal.
Old Oct 07, 2014, 08:14 PM
Joined Mar 2010
532 Posts
I finished the fuselage for now.

I took the left half off the building board and installed the ply riser. It went in easily, a great fit.

After that dried, I built the right half slowly. First just the two formers that supported the front and back ends of the riser, and F16. After they dried, I installed the riser and let it dry in place. Then I installed the side keel and the rest of the formers.

The design is really great. Everything came out nice and straight with little effort on my part.

I will figure out what I am going to do with controls and radio equipment before doing all the stringers.
Old Oct 07, 2014, 08:35 PM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,480 Posts
Nice! Have you decided on a colour scheme yet?