Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 06, 2008, 01:35 PM
Joined Jan 2008
106 Posts
Discussion
Glow igniter

Okay, I am going to try this one more time. What glow igniter do you guys recommend that will be able to go on without taking the front tire off of a SF501? I need a link of something that will work. Thanks
Jeremy1976 is offline Find More Posts by Jeremy1976
to remove ads between posts
Old May 06, 2008, 01:57 PM
Lakewood, CA
Joined Oct 2004
1,024 Posts
This, or any "slim" ignitor should work. It's what I use for my TT.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJUJ7&P=7
2000-redrider is offline Find More Posts by 2000-redrider
Old May 06, 2008, 02:02 PM
Lakewood, CA
Joined Oct 2004
1,024 Posts
If you have a starter box something like this;
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXVJ48&P=7

or a battery;
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXVJ49&P=7

should work too.

Hope this helps.
Old May 06, 2008, 05:08 PM
Joined Jan 2008
106 Posts
Thanks man. I will be getting the first one you posted.
Old May 12, 2008, 12:07 PM
Joined Jan 2008
106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000-redrider
This, or any "slim" ignitor should work. It's what I use for my TT.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJUJ7&P=7
This does not work. Just got it today and it will not work.
Old May 12, 2008, 12:36 PM
Lakewood, CA
Joined Oct 2004
1,024 Posts
What's wrong with it? It might not fit 100% straight, but it should still be able to clamp on and fire it up.
Old May 12, 2008, 12:48 PM
Joined Jan 2008
106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000-redrider
What's wrong with it? It might not fit 100% straight, but it should still be able to clamp on and fire it up.
It will not. Even with me turning the front tire all the way. And if you were to turn it on the front wheel would want to center with the servo and be in the way regardless. I'm done with bikes and I never even started it. Just wish I would of never dumped so much money into it with the mod job on the motor and stuff. Thanks for trying to help it is appreciated. Out of all the R/C's I have built and owned this one has been the most frustrating to me. A guy with previous bike experience will appreciate it more.
Old May 12, 2008, 01:09 PM
Lakewood, CA
Joined Oct 2004
1,024 Posts
Sorry you've had so much trouble with the bike. It's a shame you couldn't meet up with someone to help you in person. If you were in Southern, or Northern California I know there would be a bunch of guys willing to help.

As for the front wheel centering when you turn your bike on, your steering set up should still allow the front wheel to move full left and right even when on.
Old May 12, 2008, 07:35 PM
Armchair Theoretician
Joined Apr 2008
6 Posts
Hi Jeremy, sorry to see you experience this, I am very new to the bikes myself and have had to do a lot of learning, it's just so different from cars. As far a I know I'm the only one around here running the bikes, it makes for a lost in the wilderness feeling at times. The connector below is what I bought, for $9.99, I must admit that this plug connector has been mentioned before here and on Lorenzo's site , see question #3, and that is why I went this route. I know Tower has been very good to me over the years, they would probably exchange it for you, if you wanted to. You must be really bummed, and that sucks but if you want I will take and post pictures of my bike with the adapter connected if you feel like giving it one more try...

Here is what I bought: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXD696&P=M and for a battery, I used a pair of old NiCd batteries in parallel to give me 1.2volt, I put bullet connectors on the clip and batteries so I can just plug it together.

Anybody else have a picture or two?

Some vids:
Starting an SF501 with a hand drill! - note the glow plug driver:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hiVtsiFGTE

Starting SF506:
Starting a Nuova Faor SF506 nitro RC bike! (4 min 29 sec)

Starting Thunder Tiger:
How to start a Thunder Tiger Ducati tt nitro RC Bike (7 min 8 sec)

Don't give up Bro!
Stevie Ray is offline Find More Posts by Stevie Ray
Old May 13, 2008, 08:13 PM
chandler , az
Joined May 2004
47 Posts
TT remote plug

Have you tried just TT remote plug ?as the other I though I saw had the rubber boot on it . As long as you using OS brand or plug with a wider tip compared to let's say a Mccoy plug which is somewhat thinner it should work just fine. It works fine on both TT and NF
PowerSlide is offline Find More Posts by PowerSlide
Old May 13, 2008, 09:25 PM
Joined Jan 2008
106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerSlide
Have you tried just TT remote plug ?as the other I though I saw had the rubber boot on it . As long as you using OS brand or plug with a wider tip compared to let's say a Mccoy plug which is somewhat thinner it should work just fine. It works fine on both TT and NF
How did you get it on. I tried pliers and fingers with no success. I could take off the front wheel I suppose to help.
Old May 14, 2008, 02:49 AM
chandler , az
Joined May 2004
47 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy1976
How did you get it on. I tried pliers and fingers with no success. I could take off the front wheel I suppose to help.
Well my fingers are small so I can just about slip the top of the spring end over the tip of the glow plug without any pliers . I just use a small pair of long needle nose pliers and push it down further onto the spring clip . Perhaps you might want to remove your glow plug and slip the spring /connector end on and off a few times at first which may make it a little easier the next time and perhaps give you a better visual as to what's going on when you are trying to attach the connector . Maybe something is hanging/catching that is making it difficult to clip in on once the glow plug is down inside the cyclinder head which you may not really be able to notice unless you have the whole assembly out in front of you . Also taking the plug out might also help you test the current to the plug in case you need to move the ground lead around on the bike depending on where you have it now . This way if you do get the connection piece worked out you won't be fighting perhaps another issue down the road like poor starting to only find out your plug is not getting enough heat . Also you shouldn't have to take off the front wheel , turning the wheel away from you will make for enough room to allow you to do what you need to do.
PowerSlide is offline Find More Posts by PowerSlide
Old May 14, 2008, 07:52 AM
JediBiker
Tomah, Wisconsin, USA
Joined Oct 2004
577 Posts
We..RCGroups are going to fix this Jeremy

Jeremy,

Guess who showed last night with my rubbermaid tote,.."The Jerk"
90% is all there!!! I am going to put out on the floor all you are getting,..and then some, take pics of it right away and post, and you are going to have to follow my instructions to the letter..If you please Jeremy!! YOU ARE!! going to keep that bike,..Do You Understand!!!?? I am not pushing the other members to the side,..I just want you to focus so all of us can get this done so you can have some bloody fun!!!

First I have a couple of questions; what is your age? I am 51. What is your major area of expertice? I am an ex AF pilot and an Engineer. We are not keeping score here at all Jeremy,..We need to know as much about each other as we can in a couple of sentences,..

What engine do you have, exactly, and is it new for the most part?

What plug are you using, again, exact,..washer? idle bar,..etc,..

What manufacturer of fuel, Nitro percent, and it's age? Has it EVER been left uncapped for more than a continuous 4 hour period?,...I MEAN capped tight! This is more important than some think,..I will explain as we get to it.

Reply and I'll get those pics done,..
Michael,..
yodafm1e is offline Find More Posts by yodafm1e
Old May 14, 2008, 08:16 AM
www.kinetic-racing.com
Heathrow
Joined Oct 2007
168 Posts
Hi Jeremy.

If you want bring the bike to Aldershot (Not sure where you are in the UK) one Sunday when we are racing and I'll show you how to get a remote glow on and how to start run and tune it / set it up. I run a nitro NF501 and a 506LE. It's not hard but I think you need to be shown how to do it by someone that has already gone through the pain barrier. Make sure you bring every thing with you.

We are racing next Sunday (18th) if you can make it.

Chris
chrisg333 is offline Find More Posts by chrisg333
Old May 14, 2008, 09:57 AM
Joined Jan 2008
106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodafm1e
Jeremy,

Guess who showed last night with my rubbermaid tote,.."The Jerk"
90% is all there!!! I am going to put out on the floor all you are getting,..and then some, take pics of it right away and post, and you are going to have to follow my instructions to the letter..If you please Jeremy!! YOU ARE!! going to keep that bike,..Do You Understand!!!?? I am not pushing the other members to the side,..I just want you to focus so all of us can get this done so you can have some bloody fun!!!

First I have a couple of questions; what is your age? I am 51. What is your major area of expertice? I am an ex AF pilot and an Engineer. We are not keeping score here at all Jeremy,..We need to know as much about each other as we can in a couple of sentences,..

What engine do you have, exactly, and is it new for the most part?

What plug are you using, again, exact,..washer? idle bar,..etc,..

What manufacturer of fuel, Nitro percent, and it's age? Has it EVER been left uncapped for more than a continuous 4 hour period?,...I MEAN capped tight! This is more important than some think,..I will explain as we get to it.

Reply and I'll get those pics done,..
Michael,..
I am 32 and not a newb to R/C. I have actually been in it since a kid. I have built many kits and have had zero issues up until this point. As far as fuel I have not even attempted to start it yet due to the glow igniter issue. I am very much aware of bad gas and that it cannot be left in hot/cold temps and uncapped.

As far as my profession I do not see how that is relevant to anything.