HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 09, 2014, 10:05 PM
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Apr 2014
488 Posts
Russ,

I won't BS you and waste your time - that weight was a deal breaker, sorry...I am really picky about the motor.
I am sure it flies fine with that motor, but I want this particular MM to be a weight-weenie.
AELLC is offline Find More Posts by AELLC
to remove ads between posts
Old May 09, 2014, 11:31 PM
United States, MA, Webster
Joined Feb 2003
2,382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AELLC View Post
Russ,

I won't BS you and waste your time - that weight was a deal breaker, sorry...I am really picky about the motor.
I am sure it flies fine with that motor, but I want this particular MM to be a weight-weenie.
AELLC:

NOT a Problem ..

I, too, am a "Weight Watcher" .. electric flight is all about power-to-weight ratio / wing loading, increased flight times, etc.

I'm pretty much into Heli's and Quad Copters at this point in my R/C life .. these aircraft spend NO time gliding, so power is on during EVERY second of flight time .. so, you can imagine how difficult it is to extend flight times, lighten airframes, battery packs, cameras, etc. !!

I wasn't aware that those Multiplex motors were heavy, although they are German made, and pretty rugged, and therefor probably heavier than other similar motors.

So, I know where you are coming from, and your concerns ..

Carry on, fly safely ..

Russ
MiniBoy is offline Find More Posts by MiniBoy
Old May 10, 2014, 12:01 AM
Joined Apr 2014
488 Posts
They probably are very well made but heavy motors. Some older motors tend to be very heavy.
Old May 10, 2014, 12:20 AM
United States, MA, Webster
Joined Feb 2003
2,382 Posts
Quote:
They probably are very well made but heavy motors. Some older motors tend to be very heavy.
Roger that ..

Russ
MiniBoy is offline Find More Posts by MiniBoy
Old May 14, 2014, 10:04 PM
Australia, QLD
Joined Jul 2008
177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaylad View Post
Hi all,I need some info,305 pages is a lot to scan lol.
Anywho,can someone point me in the right direction,I'm after a brushless motor and esc for my minimag,I will be running 2 cell lipos as I already have some,so which motor should I go for and with which prop ?
I have been flying micros for the last couple of years and fancy getting the mag in the air now as I almost know what I'm doing flying wise but which motor/prop combo is beyond me.
Any help appreciated ;-)
Hi jaylad,
I use a 1400kv DualSky. Works fine. One thing that you will have to deal with is the motor mount. There is quite a bit of discussion on here about it. The one that comes with the kit is far too thin and weak for a brushless. I adapted the kit mount and flew that for a while until one day the motor ripped the mount off the airframe and took half the nose of the aircraft with it. I then made a new one out of ply which has worked well. I posted some photos of it in this thread a number of years ago. But I'm sure there are other solutions. IMHO, that is the biggest issue flying the MiniMag with a brushless.
TongueTied is offline Find More Posts by TongueTied
Old May 15, 2014, 04:20 AM
Chester, UK
Joined May 2010
451 Posts
Would the new Funman mount (already equiped with BL motor) be a solution ? It is basically the same plane.

I flew mine early this morning and I really think it needs a bit (lot) more power.

Looking into what to fit as an upgrade

GD
geedee is offline Find More Posts by geedee
Old May 15, 2014, 06:47 AM
Australia, QLD
Joined Jul 2008
177 Posts
Good question. I see the Funman has an extra motor mount plate but I don't know how well that performs. The Minimag Brushless says it comes with an aluminium motor mount but the instructions still show the old plastic one. If the instructions for the Funman are correct, I'd say it really isn't good enough because it still attaches i.e. is glued, to the top surface of the front cowl. This is the thinest part of the fuselage. On mine, the motor ripped itself off and it was the cowl that gave way. So, my repair, was to make a mount that attached to the bottom and the sides i.e. the thick part of the fuselage. So, if you want to put a brushless motor in that is more powerful than the Speed 400 that it came with, my suggestion is royally beef up the motor mount.

Here is the post I did earlier in this thread with some photos of my motor mount. it isn't pretty but it works and I think it is far stronger than mounting against the upper surface of the cowl.
Old May 15, 2014, 10:46 AM
Joined Apr 2014
488 Posts
On my first MM (may she rest in peace), I glued in 4 CF strips long wise to reinforce the foam , and that is SOP for my foamies.
Old May 15, 2014, 06:29 PM
Australia, QLD
Joined Jul 2008
177 Posts
Quote:
On my first MM (may she rest in peace), I glued in 4 CF strips long wise to reinforce the foam , and that is SOP for my foamies.
That is a very good idea. Wish I had done something like that. However, with regard to the torque from a brushless on the supplied motor mount, I think you would need to put the reinforcement perpendicular to the axis of the aircraft. Note in the photos I posted of the failure (I admit that mine may not be a typical failure due to a brushless installation) the rip in the foam occurred just to the outside/below the top flange of the motor mount and they run parallel to the fuselage. Therefore, I would guess that to help reinforce this, one should put CF around the inside of the cavity for the motor mount but do so perpendicular to the axis. That might help distribute the loads the motor out into the thicker foam on the sides of the fuselage rather than only on the top where it is very thin.
Old May 15, 2014, 07:15 PM
Joined Apr 2014
488 Posts
A pic would help, but I recently lost my camera. I am a structural engineer by trade and have a tendency to theorize how to add strength efficiently.