HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 19, 2005, 08:52 AM
United States, AL, Randolph
Joined Mar 2004
251 Posts
Rant
Dead Coverite Iron

While in the middle of a covering job my Coverite iron died on me. I took it apart (easy). The 1/4 watt resistor in the lower right corner of the board is burned up.. Does anyone know the value of this resistor? Would anyone be willing to take the handle of theirs apart to tell me. I sure hate to trash a $30.00 iron for the price of a .59 resistor.

Thanks
Larry
Travler is offline Find More Posts by Travler
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2005, 10:05 AM
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
3,339 Posts
I would suspect that the resistor went away for a reason, and replacing the resistor will not eliminate the problem. There is probably something else that has gone bad.

Les
LesUyeda is offline Find More Posts by LesUyeda
Old Jan 19, 2005, 03:42 PM
Joined Mar 2004
251 Posts
Les,
Now I'm not saying nothing else is bad, but nothing else looks like the smoke escaped from it. It is always worth a try.

N4hxs Larry
Old Jan 20, 2005, 08:50 AM
Joined Mar 2004
251 Posts
After some thought and careful study I believe that what popped was a thermal fuse. I'm tyring to find a new one and so far the smallest one that I have found is a 15 amp. Its worth a try but I don't want the thing to burn up in my hand.

Larry
Old Jan 20, 2005, 10:12 AM
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
3,339 Posts
Larry. Your last sounds more likely. The electronic measuring instruments used very small, low current fuses. You might try to locate something there. I would not expect anything over 5 amps. If there is a short circuit, the fuse will go away immediately.

Les
LesUyeda is offline Find More Posts by LesUyeda
Old Jan 22, 2005, 07:45 PM
X - USAF X - FAA
Santa Ana, CA
Joined Dec 2004
130 Posts
I have 4 or 5 irons. The Tower Hobbies is 18 years old and still works fine and it is cheap.
sa-woody is offline Find More Posts by sa-woody
Old Jan 23, 2005, 06:43 AM
Joined Mar 2004
251 Posts
Yeah, The old ones were simple. They didn"t have a curcuit board, just a heating element and a reostat to control the heat.
Mabe simple is better.
I found a Thermal fuse, Now to see if I can fix it.

Larry