HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 08, 2014, 08:39 AM
United Kingdom, Highld
Joined Apr 2014
17 Posts
Discussion
top gun park flight graduate rtf

I am considering buying a top gun graduate. This has two sets of wings, one for beginners and one for more experienced flyers. There is virtually no information about this model on the web apart from the distributors blurb. Has anybody had any experiece with this model?
diplodocus is offline Find More Posts by diplodocus
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2014, 09:49 AM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
7,102 Posts
is it this one? http://www.cmldistribution.co.uk/cml...tId=0000007230
in the future, please post links.

rather than that one, i recommend any of these: http://secure.hobbyzone.com/rcplanes/rcair_hobbyzone/

or: http://secure.hobbyzone.com/rcplanes...e/EFL3100.html
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Jul 08, 2014, 10:57 AM
United Kingdom, Highld
Joined Apr 2014
17 Posts
It is the model distributed by cml. I do have a few models from hobbyzone (super cub, deltaray, spitfire, mustang) and am a big fan of hobbyzone. The problem is that I need a model which weighs over 1 kg and has no gyros. This is to pass the BMFA A certificate. I like electric foamies but hobbyzone has nothing to fit the bill. The only other model I can find is the st discovery andI dont fancy it. I am sorry but I am a novice with computers and have no idea how to post links.
Old Jul 08, 2014, 07:30 PM
What tree?
Yucca Valley, California
Joined Aug 2005
2,408 Posts
Get an Apprentice S and swap the SAFE receiver out with a $9.00 OrangeRX receiver.

You can probably ebay the SAFE receiver for $80.00 or more, or use it in another plane. Or after you get the cert.
Rampage is offline Find More Posts by Rampage
Old Jul 09, 2014, 01:21 AM
United Kingdom, Highld
Joined Apr 2014
17 Posts
Maybe
Old Jul 09, 2014, 05:55 AM
United States, NY, Queens
Joined Oct 2005
2,418 Posts
I presume the Spitfire and Mustang that you refer to are the UMX versions. Go to the Horizon Hobby site and check out the ParkZone brand planes.
Leo L is offline Find More Posts by Leo L
Old Jul 09, 2014, 06:51 AM
United Kingdom, Highld
Joined Apr 2014
17 Posts
What I really wanted to know is: is the Graduate rubbish or OK? Anyway, I searched the horizon hobby site and did not find anything suitable so I went ahead and ordered the Graduate. I wlll report back on how I get on with it. Thanks for your suggestions anyway.
Last edited by diplodocus; Jul 09, 2014 at 07:38 AM.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 01:06 PM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,920 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by diplodocus View Post
What I really wanted to know is: is the Graduate rubbish or OK? Anyway, I searched the horizon hobby site and did not find anything suitable so I went ahead and ordered the Graduate. I wlll report back on how I get on with it. Thanks for your suggestions anyway.
Just looking at the pictures it looks pretty good. Landing gear looks very durable. But why not splash the extra and get the apprentice which is known to be excellent?
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Jul 11, 2014, 07:19 AM
United Kingdom, Highld
Joined Apr 2014
17 Posts
I need a model which weighs over 1kg and has no gyros. This makes the apprentice ineligable for the BMFA A certificate. Even if you switch off the S AFEsystem the as3x will still be active. I do not see the point of taking the rx out and replacing it with something like an orange rx. Other models like the glasair etc all seem to weigh just under 1kg.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 09:47 AM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,920 Posts
Quote:
I need a model which weighs over 1kg and has no gyros. This makes the apprentice ineligable for the BMFA A certificate. Even if you switch off the S AFEsystem the as3x will still be active. I do not see the point of taking the rx out and replacing it with something like an orange rx. Other models like the glasair etc all seem to weigh just under 1kg.
Well, you get a tried and tested plane if you do that and a good Tx.

This looks like a good deal. http://hurricanemodels.co.uk/engine/...ce+ESP+15e+BNF
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Jul 11, 2014, 10:13 AM
United Kingdom, Highld
Joined Apr 2014
17 Posts
Ah well. Too late now. I am not going for yet another plane. I will see how I get on with the graduate first. Thanks for the feedback anyway.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 08:40 AM
United Kingdom, Highld
Joined Apr 2014
17 Posts
I maidened my Graduate this morning in a 15 mph breeze, using the beginner's wing. I can honestly say that this is the easiest model I have ever flown, including the hbz super cub. It is very stable and yet responsive. It has a powerful bl motor and 4 channel control. It is superbly built and seems indestructable. The tx is a bit basic but does the job. I highly recommend this model.
Last edited by diplodocus; Jul 17, 2014 at 08:48 AM.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 09:52 AM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
7,102 Posts
Quote:
It is superbly built and seems indestructable.
did you have a mishap?
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Jul 17, 2014, 10:40 AM
United Kingdom, Highld
Joined Apr 2014
17 Posts
The wind was a bit gusty and I landed heavily on the nose wheel once. The nose leg is very well sprung and there was no damage, not even a bent wire! Try that on a Glasair Sportsman and see what happens! Don't ask me how I know lol. The foam used in the model is quite flexible, unlike the fragile, brittle stuff Top Gun used to use.
Last edited by diplodocus; Jul 17, 2014 at 10:47 AM.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 04:05 PM
What goes up .....
Australia, QLD, Mermaid Beach
Joined Oct 2013
245 Posts
Pity I didn't see this earlier. The perfect plane for you would have been the Freewing Pandora. It has 2 setups. High and low wing, trike and tail dragger wheel setup. It also has flaps and is a good size at 1500mm.
Seacondor is online now Find More Posts by Seacondor