Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
View Poll Results: What style of Turnigy 1/16 vehicle do you prefer?
Rally Extreme 30 37.97%
Mini Trooper 27 34.18%
Racing Buggy 22 27.85%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jul 19, 2014, 12:40 PM
Don't take any wooden nickels
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Mar 2012
1,944 Posts
Watching a lot of youtube videos yesterday on our 1/16 Turnigy's, I noticed that quite a few people could get their's (mostly the Buggy) to do wheelies stock.. even on 2s. Mine doesn't come close to doing this, it does have a tendency to slide left or right, but never lifted up even on 3s.

Anyway I also noticed that it seemed like, in the same videos, that they were running dragbrake.. but I assume it was stock everything including ESC.

I'm thinking that the reason for this might be that their wheel nut is on too tight. Plastic or alloy, I have to back mine off a little from 'tight'... otherwise the wheels don't spin freely.

As far as why it wheelies, IDK. But my 1/24 did awesome wheelies on 3s when the hub nut was way too tight. And it also acted like a drag brake too. By the time I realised the problem, my motor (that I fixed once before) broke again, probably overheated.

Anyway I wanted to ask, does anyone else's do wheelies with the stock motor? I thought wheelies were more of a 2wd thing.
finguz is offline Find More Posts by finguz
Last edited by finguz; Jul 19, 2014 at 12:58 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2014, 10:18 PM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by finguz View Post
Watching a lot of youtube videos yesterday on our 1/16 Turnigy's, I noticed that quite a few people could get their's (mostly the Buggy) to do wheelies stock.. even on 2s. Mine doesn't come close to doing this, it does have a tendency to slide left or right, but never lifted up even on 3s.

Anyway I also noticed that it seemed like, in the same videos, that they were running dragbrake.. but I assume it was stock everything including ESC.

I'm thinking that the reason for this might be that their wheel nut is on too tight. Plastic or alloy, I have to back mine off a little from 'tight'... otherwise the wheels don't spin freely.

As far as why it wheelies, IDK. But my 1/24 did awesome wheelies on 3s when the hub nut was way too tight. And it also acted like a drag brake too. By the time I realised the problem, my motor (that I fixed once before) broke again, probably overheated.

Anyway I wanted to ask, does anyone else's do wheelies with the stock motor? I thought wheelies were more of a 2wd thing.
I've raced the Buggy, Rally and MT and none of them even came close to popping wheelies.

I think the Buggy would have the best chance, because I think the wheelbase is shorter and it has fatter rear tires, maybe if you lock down the slipper and mount all the electronics towards the rear it could be possible.
valiantGLX is offline Find More Posts by valiantGLX
Old Jul 19, 2014, 10:19 PM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waitwhatsthat View Post
So I made the aluminum chassis today, and it came out really good. I know one side isn't as wide as it should be, but I couldn't find a better piece of aluminum for free. Any way here are the pics. Enjoy.
Nice custom deck, but is it rigid enough?
Old Jul 19, 2014, 10:23 PM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,500 Posts
My advice to anyone here that has enough room is forget the 1/16s and get a 1/10 Trooper or Nitro Circus Basher.

I just got the NC Basher and it is crazy durable, I now race all day at places that destroyed my Mini Troopers spur gears (even the sour41 metal spurs) within minutes

Basher Nitro Circus 1/10 4x4 SCT - Maiden Run on 3s (2 min 19 sec)

Basher Nitro Circus 1/10 SCT - Cutting some hot laps around my track (3 min 8 sec)
Old Jul 20, 2014, 04:59 AM
United States, FL, Riverview
Joined Jan 2013
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by valiantGLX View Post
Finally cheap 12mm Hex adapters from Hobby King, thanks to the new Little Cosmos

Is there an aftermarket wheel and tire alternative for the Mini-Trooper? Either in a 8mm hex or 12mm hex. Or am I stuck with HK's wheels because of the offset? If so are there other tires available that fit HK beadlocks?
jimmiejump is offline Find More Posts by jimmiejump
Old Jul 20, 2014, 05:00 PM
Joined Jul 2014
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by valiantGLX View Post
My advice to anyone here that has enough room is forget the 1/16s and get a 1/10 Trooper or Nitro Circus Basher.

I just got the NC Basher and it is crazy durable, I now race all day at places that destroyed my Mini Troopers spur gears (even the sour41 metal spurs) within minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFVggo14GgI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHAfr99TTdQ
I ordered a 1/10 trooper last night. Already looking into new motor and esc options.
waitwhatsthat is offline Find More Posts by waitwhatsthat
Old Jul 20, 2014, 05:03 PM
Joined Jul 2014
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiejump View Post
Is there an aftermarket wheel and tire alternative for the Mini-Trooper? Either in a 8mm hex or 12mm hex. Or am I stuck with HK's wheels because of the offset? If so are there other tires available that fit HK beadlocks?
I will be finding out about different wheels and tires later this week. My LHS has an order of various 1/16 sets coming in. Gonna test fit to see what works.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 05:32 PM
United States, FL, Riverview
Joined Jan 2013
25 Posts
Quote:
I will be finding out about different wheels and tires later this week. My LHS has an order of various 1/16 sets coming in. Gonna test fit to see what works.
Looking forward to you posting your findings.
jimmiejump is offline Find More Posts by jimmiejump
Old Jul 21, 2014, 02:19 AM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,500 Posts
Quote:
I ordered a 1/10 trooper last night. Already looking into new motor and esc options.
Cool Bananas, I can't recommend them enough. I'm looking at the Trackstar sensored SCT BL 4100kv motor and 150a trackstar ESC, oh and the Trackstar servo too

I have a thread already over here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2058785
Old Jul 21, 2014, 07:16 AM
Joined Jul 2014
11 Posts
I've heard its hard to keep the diffs. Alive when you get up around 3800kv. Ive got my eye on a traxxas velenion system I might be able to get dirt cheap.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 07:16 PM
Joined Jul 2014
11 Posts
Finally recieved my metal spur gear. Can't wait to break another plastic one so I can try it out.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 10:16 PM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,500 Posts
Quote:
I've heard its hard to keep the diffs. Alive when you get up around 3800kv. Ive got my eye on a traxxas velenion system I might be able to get dirt cheap.
Thanks for the warning, I guess I don't need to crack 100kmh with a sct anyways, it would be a little silly
Old Jul 22, 2014, 10:08 AM
Joined Jul 2014
11 Posts
We'll i didnt head my own warning. I ordered the trackstar 4000kv combo. Wanted the 3500kv but it was out of stock in the u.s. And shopping from overseas is a mother f'r. I'll let ya know how it works out. Lol.