Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 07, 2014, 04:17 PM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
1,860 Posts
Hi Greg

I only needed 24 screws but got 36 for a few spares, a bit pricy for this boat too

There is going to be a ton in the paint & trim stuff so I figured what the heck

One of Larry's catalogs is good to have on hand because of what he stocks, very handy and a great guy to deal with too

G Don
granada don is offline Find More Posts by granada don
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 07, 2014, 04:50 PM
GPR
Rochester, Michigan
Joined Jan 2009
492 Posts
G Don,
I heard back from Larry. If you only need a small quantity, he would be a good source. In higher quantities (like over 100), pricing is a tad higher than J.I. Morris. I'm pretty sure he buys from them and repackages for small quantities. Nice guy.
Greg
GPR is offline Find More Posts by GPR
Old Jul 07, 2014, 05:02 PM
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
1,860 Posts
Hi Greg

As I recall he did not have the 000-120 that I needed in stainless only brass

I have been buying my small stuff from him for years

G Don
Old Jul 07, 2014, 05:43 PM
GPR
Rochester, Michigan
Joined Jan 2009
492 Posts
I worked on the horn base plates today. I filed the backs down and sanded them smooth. Then I was able to mark them for fasteners without any trouble. I used my spring loaded punch to locate the screw holes. When I did that, it left raised dimples on the front of the plate. I tried drilling the plates using a .4 mm drill, because the shank on the fasteners is .3mm. Boy, that is small. The drill I was using would not drill through the brass. It's probably because its a cheap drill, but that is like drilling with a wire. The drill just bent on itself. I decided that the dimple effect on the front of the plates is close enough. It gives the impression of fastener heads.

I cut off the horn bells and drilled the bases out to receive them. The holes are different sizes because the horns are different lengths and the bells are tapered in that area. I also filed down the pins on the underside of the bases flush with the base bottom, except I left a small raised peak on the forward pin as an anti-rotation feature. I tapped the cast holes in the bases to receive a 4-40 thread bolt to secure the horns to the deck.

Now I just need to final polish, plate, and epoxy the parts together.
Old Jul 07, 2014, 06:57 PM
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
1,860 Posts
Hi Greg

Boy o boy those horns came out slick, don't get any better than that !!!
Old Jul 07, 2014, 07:14 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,463 Posts
Great Trumpets !
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old Jul 07, 2014, 08:19 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,300 Posts
How about a drop of solder on those instead of epoxy? Any extra showing comes off very easily with a polishing wheel...
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Jul 07, 2014, 09:23 PM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,792 Posts
Very Nice.

Ed
Ed Crowell is offline Find More Posts by Ed Crowell
Old Jul 08, 2014, 12:40 PM
GPR
Rochester, Michigan
Joined Jan 2009
492 Posts
Pat,
I'm planning to plate the three parts separately and then assemble. The horns will just need a little touch up on the underside where I cut them free from the trombones. The back plates will plate better as separate pieces. I probably can solder the horns to the bases. It's just a matter of properly positioning the two pieces. I thought it would be easier to clamp them in position and epoxy with JB Weld or JB Kwick than to get solder in there without overheating or flux run out. The back plates will definitely be easier to epoxy...I don't really want to heat the parts after plating. I have had really good results with the JB Weld on a number of pattern parts for castings.
Old Jul 08, 2014, 06:00 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,463 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPR View Post
I was ultimately able to find these trombones produced as Christmas tree ornaments. They are almost perfect in size and shape and nicely constructed of chrome plated brass. And they were only about $15 each.
Brilliant !
My horn source issue is resolved, I found a place in Prescott that sells miniature musical instruments and they arrived yesterday ~
With a bit of work they should be OK to use on the cabin cruiser ~
Thanks Very much for sharing your experience and knowledge !
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old Jul 08, 2014, 07:47 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,300 Posts
Baywatch fire monitor- all soldered from brass bits, then polished, then plated... jus'sayin'...

patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Last edited by patmat2350; Jul 08, 2014 at 08:42 PM.