"Get off the runway!"
United States, TX, Hutto
Joined May 2012
523 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard hanson View Post
Pricing is a tough thing to figure
The plane ain't cheap .
However ,it flies extremely well with or without the 635 rx.
haven't seen anything else in it's class size which is better - or in my opinion as good
the 47 " stuff too small - the 62" stuff costs more . and doesn't fly any better -

I just got another one ,which I am going to try powering differently.
It's a hobby- Been at it a long time and pattern planes have consumed the most time and experimentation.
As the model comes , it is way too "bright" for doing the FAI stuff - but reducing mechanical setups on servos and fiddling a bit on cg and expo- -it flies well, tracks well and has very little couple .
I have fallen in love with the new all foam concept - -I always wanted a plane which was "one piece"
. Lord knows I built enough wood n glass ones ---
I have this plane, http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1834096 $159...a hair over 60 inches and flies great. Not hijacking, but just giving an example of a budget FAI/pattern capable airframe.
Da Big_G is offline Find More Posts by Da Big_G
to remove ads between posts
Old May 02, 2013, 01:37 PM
United States, CA, Richmond
Joined Dec 2007
161 Posts
What did you mean by "way too bright for FAI"?

Quote:
Pricing is a tough thing to figure
The plane ain't cheap .
However ,it flies extremely well with or without the 635 rx.
haven't seen anything else in it's class size which is better - or in my opinion as good
the 47 " stuff too small - the 62" stuff costs more . and doesn't fly any better -
I just got another one ,which I am going to try powering differently.
It's a hobby- Been at it a long time and pattern planes have consumed the most time and experimentation.
As the model comes , it is way too "bright" for doing the FAI stuff - but reducing mechanical setups on servos and fiddling a bit on cg and expo- -it flies well, tracks well and has very little couple .
I have fallen in love with the new all foam concept - -I always wanted a plane which was "one piece"
. Lord knows I built enough wood n glass ones ---
HouseOf4Doors is offline Find More Posts by HouseOf4Doors
Old May 02, 2013, 02:18 PM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
6,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Big_G View Post

I have this plane, http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1834096 $159...a hair over 60 inches and flies great. Not hijacking, but just giving an example of a budget FAI/pattern capable airframe.
You can buy the airframe piece by piece - but the model comes ready to fly inc rx .
richard hanson is offline Find More Posts by richard hanson
Old May 02, 2013, 02:20 PM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
6,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseOf4Doors View Post
What did you mean by "way too bright for FAI"?
As shipped -it has servo throws which are fine for flailing around but more than double what is needed for any of the FAI pattern
richard hanson is offline Find More Posts by richard hanson
Old May 03, 2013, 12:04 PM
"Get off the runway!"
United States, TX, Hutto
Joined May 2012
523 Posts
Quote:
You can buy the airframe piece by piece - but the model comes ready to fly inc rx .
I bet I have less than $400 total in her airborne. The advantage for the Splendor is it's assembled.
Da Big_G is offline Find More Posts by Da Big_G
Old May 03, 2013, 03:20 PM
scratch-built
United States, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Apr 2007
995 Posts
While I do like the E-Flite Motors, I have both their Inrunner and out runners in various sizes. I don't buy their planes that come with the electronics already installed. I'd rather put the electronics of my choice in any plane that I chose to fly.

For those of you that this isn't a problem, The Splendor would be a good option. If you figure what it would cost to outfit a plane of this size, you would come fairly close to the price, If you used the same components. However, You can outfit it for a lot less, If you go across the pond to get your electronics.

J
Jim Lee is offline Find More Posts by Jim Lee