Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 05, 2012, 06:55 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,332 Posts
Wow that's awesome! Looks and feels like you are flying a real aircraft! Video please!

How did you make the moving control stick? Does it move back and forth also for the elevator?
Cheese5 is online now Find More Posts by Cheese5
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2012, 04:26 AM
Live FPV or Die
Montreal,Canada
Joined Feb 2002
3,960 Posts
Weather is not cooperative, only cloud and winds. I need 10kmh wind max because I'm not use with them, but also clear sky with sun because this tiny cam work well under sunshine but picture appear dark under clouds.

The Beast is ready, I had replace the regulator to remove the lines in the picture, it work on the bench test.
I removed the canopy on the Sbach for the next flight, not enough clear. I will try to make one this winter with my thermo forming kit

Joystick move only side to side and it is simply a stick glue to the horn of an extra servo wire with the aileron servo
VRflyer is offline Find More Posts by VRflyer
Old Oct 08, 2012, 07:05 PM
Live FPV or Die
Montreal,Canada
Joined Feb 2002
3,960 Posts
First flight video

The weather was ideal today after 2 weeks of winds and clouds. Full sunshine and very light wind.

I made 4 flights with my Beast and one with the Sbach. The last flight with the Beast was very good, I was trying for the first time the Spironet antenna from Fatshark on the receiver mount on my headset and I'm very please with the result. The video I show you is with the Spironet.

The plane still need some tunning. I will balance the prop and adjust the focus of the lens at infinity to have clearer picture of farther objects.

Also I can notice a kind of blurring in the picture, it is small. I think it is due to my handmade linear regulator. I expect better result with the Flytron linear regulator that I will receive this week probably.

Sbach video is presently uploading so I will come back when ready

Micro FPV Beast AS3X (4 min 6 sec)
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:22 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2012
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
Well, I only asked about the DX8 in the FPV forums, and was told that it didn't offer it. If you ever confirm that it's FPV friendly, please send me a PM! My poor DX7 is getting old.

P.S.: I was told the DX18 does, but that's out of my price range!
It does - I was giving my friend lessons the other day on my T-28.

I had the DX8 - friend had my DX6i
Keeps DX8 trim and mix settings - trainer is sticks only.
Trainer switch off - I have full control.
Trainer on - Throttle elevator and rudder control on DX6, Aerilons remain on DX8

There are only certain presets you can setup like this - but I am fairly sure 2x AUX channels are included (can't check now as I am at work). So I think DX8 might work for FPV with a buddy system for the camera gimbal - not sure on the DX7.
twincobra is offline Find More Posts by twincobra
Old Oct 09, 2012, 05:48 AM
Live FPV or Die
Montreal,Canada
Joined Feb 2002
3,960 Posts
Here the video of my microFPV Sbach:
Micro FPV Sbach (4 min 8 sec)
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:39 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
Looking forward to see your AMAZING cockpits from the camera view!
I knew I would be amazed, and I was! Love to see the little stick moving! Both of your videos are truly awesome!

Watching them though, you just "told" me it's time for me to get better antennas!! The Beast vs Sbach is day and night...

One question: The antenna on the Sbach look a little bit too long for me. Yet, it's not twice what I'm used too. Anything special about it? Did you cut it to your specific frequency you're using, and it happen to give/be the longest 5.8Ghz antenna?
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:16 AM
Live FPV or Die
Montreal,Canada
Joined Feb 2002
3,960 Posts
I use the wire that come with the transmitter. I did not cut it. Effectively it is too long for 1/4 waves. But it appear to work well.

On both plane the antenna have the same lenght. But with the Sbach I was using the antenna that come with the receiver, a dipole antenna and for the Beast flight, I was using the Spironet on the receiver.

Also the Beast as been modified with a linear regulator, the Sbach still have the switching regulator. Perhaps it contribute to the problem of transmission
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:02 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRflyer View Post
I use the wire that come with the transmitter. I did not cut it. Effectively it is too long for 1/4 waves. But it appear to work well.
I was sure it look too long, glad to see my eyes are still good... (and it look too straight! Mine never look that straigth for long ) As you said, hey, if it works, it works!
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:21 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,332 Posts
Nice video! I like the landings where the control stick is swinging back and forth to level the wings before touch down. All you need now is for the stick to move back and forth! Haven't seen any FPv videos with a moving control stick before yours, great scale touch.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:55 PM
Live FPV or Die
Montreal,Canada
Joined Feb 2002
3,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese5 View Post
Haven't seen any FPv videos with a moving control stick before yours, great scale touch.
So you will like even more his big brother:

Cap232 Vol en immersion a BrossAir (7 min 4 sec)
Last edited by VRflyer; Oct 10, 2012 at 12:29 AM.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:18 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,332 Posts
Quote:

https://vimeo.com/5038747
Yeah!! Just the like the real thing! Even the rudder pedal foot moves too!!
Old Oct 12, 2012, 02:17 AM
I am GBLynden
United States, WA, Lynden
Joined Mar 2011
2,506 Posts
Quote:

https://vimeo.com/5038747

You sir are a genius!
GBLynden is offline Find More Posts by GBLynden
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 19, 2012, 09:28 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,530 Posts
VRflyer,

Excellent work! I did a bit of long-range FPV back in the late 90s, but haven't done anything since. (As a class project, my students & I turned a 72 MHz Futaba tx into a 2.4 GHz tx with 15-mile range, built an ATV tx & rx that ran on the 440 MHz ham band, and mounted everything on a giant-scale powered parafoil.) I've been thinking about getting back into FPV again, now that it can easily be done on smaller models.

What are you getting for reliable video link range with the Spironet rx antenna?

BTW - your Cap 232 FPV setup is outstanding! I love the articulated pilot! Given the lack of prop artifacts, I assume that you're using a CCD cam, rather than CMOS.

Like you, I prefer shooting from the pilot's position, but I'd like to get rid of the prop aliasing that's caused by the rolling shutter in my micro-sized CMOS cams. Does anyone make a micro-sized CCD cam? How about a CMOS cam that doesn't have the rolling shutter problem?

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 19, 2012, 01:13 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,452 Posts
Trust me, if you want to "just go" small FPV, check the mini-Skywalker. It's designed for FPV (pusher), so you can use any cam, and the whole setup, gps and OSD included is usually around 300 to 400 grams. Though, I have to admit that since I saw VRflyer Beast video, I'm REALLY tempted to make one for myself! (Sadly, my DX7 is not head tracking friendly... Shame on you Spektrum!) I have all the hardware already and pre-wired so I can stick it on any small airplanes, but I love the inside cockpit view!
Old Oct 19, 2012, 02:32 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,530 Posts
RG,

Looks interesting - but I'd rather go with something that can do an ROG takeoff & a wheel landing. One of the things I want to do with FPV is practice touch & goes and work on making my takeoffs & landings look scale.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Oct 19, 2012 at 03:43 PM.