HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 13, 2012, 01:22 PM
United States, CA, Baldwin Park
Joined Jun 2004
1,962 Posts
I just got one. It flies decent, but I'm not a big fan of how the FBL system works. It feels to robotic. I had to lower the travel adjustment from 100 to 90. At a 100% when doing flips it over shoots and rotates too fast. A better way of explaining this is it starts to flip nice and predictable then all of a sudden the gyros kick in and the heli shoots itself over to complete the flip. This could probably be fixed by adjusting the gyros and end points, but too much fiddling around with the setup for me lol Motor does get pretty hot and after a 4 minute flight its hot enough to burn my finger. Not sure how long the motor will last with that heat.

The pros about the Master CP:
-The brushed motor has quite a bit of power. I was surprised how much power it had. Brushless is not even needed for this heli with the power the brushed motor has. Keeps cost down and should be an ok heli for those who want to practice stunts.
-Flights times come in around 4-5 minutes running at a 100% throttle curve flying light 3D. Not bad in my opinion.. By lowering the throttle curve I would expect flight times to increase by a few more minutes and maybe less motor heat.
-Tail seems to hold good. I did a tail first hurricanes and the tail wa pretty solid. But like all fixed pitch tail the tail will blow out if too much cyclic and pitch is given. Oh yea I forgot to mention the tail motor is big too so hopefully it should last a long time.
-Blades are plastic. Pretty durable and should be a good choice of blades for those stepping up to a 6ch heli and wanting to learn.
-The whole heli looks beefy. Why? I would guess Walkera design this heli for beginners so the increase in thickness of the parts is a big plus. Now I'm not saying the parts are indestructible , but should hold up better than if using a lighter setup. Landing gears are beefy. I did a few hard landing and the gears held up.
-The head setup has very little slop. Pretty good for a walkera helicopter

Now the Cons:
-Main motor heat!
-For some reason the ESC is seperate from the RX, but the RX seems to get hot after flight. I'm not sure why, but I don't think the heat from the main motor can get the RX hot. Or maybe the ESC is right under the RX so it's transferring the heat to the RX?.
-plastic blades. Kinda heavy for 3D and if too aggressive on the cyclic the blades will flutter. So the pilot would have to be careful not to over do or by adjusting the end points in the transmitter to prevent this. I would like to see light carbon blades, but that would defeat the purpose of a durable helicopter.
-Fixed pitch tail blades. They do work good, but for beginners who sometimes panic when practicing new stunts, you might be in for a surprise when the tail gives out.
-The way the servo is setup, only walkera servos can be used. You probably could get different servos to fit, but some modding and trimming is needed to fit.
TonyTypeS is offline Find More Posts by TonyTypeS
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2012, 06:25 PM
Joined Feb 2011
30 Posts
master cp receiver on a t-rex 250

Hi, I am newbbie at cp helis, I just received a t-rex 250 fbl dfc combo kit without fbl system/receiver, the question is... does it would be suitable to install the master cp six axis RX-2637H-D to the t-rex, for an easier flying for a beginner??? Thanks.
EVERNIN is offline Find More Posts by EVERNIN
Old Aug 13, 2012, 07:00 PM
United States, CA, Baldwin Park
Joined Jun 2004
1,962 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVERNIN View Post
Hi, I am newbbie at cp helis, I just received a t-rex 250 fbl dfc combo kit without fbl system/receiver, the question is... does it would be suitable to install the master cp six axis RX-2637H-D to the t-rex, for an easier flying for a beginner??? Thanks.
Don't do it. It's going to be hard to setup. If your on a budget for a FBL system I would recommend you go get the Align 3GX. Not too many people like them so you can prob find one in the classifieds for cheap. The new firmware should make setting up an ease now. I used to have one before in my 700e and it works good. Should be better for you since your new to CP and won't be flying crazy 3D so you won't notice any bad tendencies.
TonyTypeS is offline Find More Posts by TonyTypeS
Old Aug 13, 2012, 07:01 PM
Joined Oct 2010
1,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTypeS View Post
I just got one. It flies decent, but I'm not a big fan of how the FBL system works. It feels to robotic. I had to lower the travel adjustment from 100 to 90. At a 100% when doing flips it over shoots and rotates too fast. A better way of explaining this is it starts to flip nice and predictable then all of a sudden the gyros kick in and the heli shoots itself over to complete the flip. This could probably be fixed by adjusting the gyros and end points, but too much fiddling around with the setup for me lol Motor does get pretty hot and after a 4 minute flight its hot enough to burn my finger. Not sure how long the motor will last with that heat.

The pros about the Master CP:
-The brushed motor has quite a bit of power. I was surprised how much power it had. Brushless is not even needed for this heli with the power the brushed motor has. Keeps cost down and should be an ok heli for those who want to practice stunts.
-Flights times come in around 4-5 minutes running at a 100% throttle curve flying light 3D. Not bad in my opinion.. By lowering the throttle curve I would expect flight times to increase by a few more minutes and maybe less motor heat.
-Tail seems to hold good. I did a tail first hurricanes and the tail wa pretty solid. But like all fixed pitch tail the tail will blow out if too much cyclic and pitch is given. Oh yea I forgot to mention the tail motor is big too so hopefully it should last a long time.
-Blades are plastic. Pretty durable and should be a good choice of blades for those stepping up to a 6ch heli and wanting to learn.
-The whole heli looks beefy. Why? I would guess Walkera design this heli for beginners so the increase in thickness of the parts is a big plus. Now I'm not saying the parts are indestructible , but should hold up better than if using a lighter setup. Landing gears are beefy. I did a few hard landing and the gears held up.
-The head setup has very little slop. Pretty good for a walkera helicopter

Now the Cons:
-Main motor heat!
-For some reason the ESC is seperate from the RX, but the RX seems to get hot after flight. I'm not sure why, but I don't think the heat from the main motor can get the RX hot. Or maybe the ESC is right under the RX so it's transferring the heat to the RX?.
-plastic blades. Kinda heavy for 3D and if too aggressive on the cyclic the blades will flutter. So the pilot would have to be careful not to over do or by adjusting the end points in the transmitter to prevent this. I would like to see light carbon blades, but that would defeat the purpose of a durable helicopter.
-Fixed pitch tail blades. They do work good, but for beginners who sometimes panic when practicing new stunts, you might be in for a surprise when the tail gives out.
-The way the servo is setup, only walkera servos can be used. You probably could get different servos to fit, but some modding and trimming is needed to fit.
Thanks Tony, it's nice having an honest person on top of these new products before we become guinea pigs. By the way, it really looks like this would benefit from going brushless. Does it look like it would be as simple as adding a brushless esc and motor? I mean did walkera do anything out of the ordinary here? Also, does the motor size coincide with easily available brushless motors? The thing i liked about this heli is that it looks VERY easy to repair.
pmerritt is offline Find More Posts by pmerritt
Old Aug 13, 2012, 07:07 PM
Joined Feb 2011
30 Posts
Quote:
Don't do it. It's going to be hard to setup. If your on a budget for a FBL system I would recommend you go get the Align 3GX. Not too many people like them so you can prob find one in the classifieds for cheap. The new firmware should make setting up an ease now. I used to have one before in my 700e and it works good. Should be better for you since your new to CP and won't be flying crazy 3D so you won't notice any bad tendencies.
OK; tanks for the advice.
EVERNIN is offline Find More Posts by EVERNIN
Old Aug 13, 2012, 08:39 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,134 Posts
Quote:
Tony, I wonder how the gyro on the Master CP compares to that on the V120D02S and Mini CP?
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Aug 13, 2012, 08:55 PM
Joined Nov 2011
769 Posts
Quote:
+1 to the above. EVERNIN, If you want some info on the 250 DFC with 3GX and a devo RX see my build thread or PM me. I've got mine flying really well on the 2.1 firmware right now, I'm more than happy to send you my setup file or give advice. It's a steep learning curve. If you do by a 3GX, make sure it comes with the USB dongle. It's nessecery to upgrade the firmware!

One other thing, RX-2637H-D is for a motor driven tail without a servo so it wouldn't work with the rex anyways
TucsonFlyer is offline Find More Posts by TucsonFlyer
Old Aug 13, 2012, 11:02 PM
Joined Oct 2010
1,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonFlyer View Post
+1 to the above. EVERNIN, If you want some info on the 250 DFC with 3GX and a devo RX see my build thread or PM me. I've got mine flying really well on the 2.1 firmware right now, I'm more than happy to send you my setup file or give advice. It's a steep learning curve. If you do by a 3GX, make sure it comes with the USB dongle. It's nessecery to upgrade the firmware!

One other thing, RX-2637H-D is for a motor driven tail without a servo so it wouldn't work with the rex anyways
i'm pretty sure that rcvr would work with a trex/clone you wouldn't even use that tail motor output. for the main motor all you would need is a brushless esc.
pmerritt is offline Find More Posts by pmerritt
Old Aug 14, 2012, 09:17 AM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2009
3,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmerritt View Post
i'm pretty sure that rcvr would work with a trex/clone you wouldn't even use that tail motor output. for the main motor all you would need is a brushless esc.
Be careful, on a proprietary RX, the servo directions and swash mode may not be that configurable. Most of the times we may find a special way to mount the RX to allow the gyros to work with a pitch reversal dip switch on the RX. However theoretically it is not always possible as the master CP RX does not have any switches, unless the gyro to servo orientation is configurable via the TX. ACC may add to the issue too, I am not sure if it would like being mounted upside down to begin with.
Wasp09 is offline Find More Posts by Wasp09
Old Aug 14, 2012, 09:24 AM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2009
3,002 Posts
Quote:
hobbyone shipping is like 40.00 for that price it's almost better to simply go with the v120d02s with it's torque tube tail and brushless motor. (although it is a smaller bird)
I was trying to find out what the shipping charge would be but I had to login and go deep into check out.... I did not want to do that.

At that total price, I picked up a V400D02 RTF in Hong Kong a couple of years ago (with TX2603 at that time). And it is a much bigger bird.

Sure, it is a lot less threatening flying my V120D02S than my V400D02.

Thanks.
Wasp09 is offline Find More Posts by Wasp09
Old Aug 14, 2012, 11:34 AM
Joined Nov 2011
769 Posts
Quote:
I don't think there's a rudder servo output on that RX. Unless walkera worked some magic the tail motor output won't work as a rudder servo output too. Otherwise you're short a servo plug
Old Aug 14, 2012, 11:51 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Infidel View Post
I'm surprised it has the 6 axis gyro because I seem to be the only one who likes it.
I suspect they have improved the functionality and programming of their accelerometers. It did not work like one would expect on the Genius, it was better on the Ladybird V1 and I hear programming has been improved on the Ladybird V2. It's certainly technology they aren't going to abandon.
Balr14 is online now Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:51 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
6,495 Posts
I like this heli, not perfect but looks like what I want. Today I will recieve my V200D01 . For later get Sister ship Mater 200C/P would be fine by me. Some 3D would be fun later down the road. Plus just sold an expensive dust colletor thats puts this in easy can do item.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Aug 16, 2012, 03:51 PM
Joined Nov 2011
769 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
I suspect they have improved the functionality and programming of their accelerometers. It did not work like one would expect on the Genius, it was better on the Ladybird V1 and I hear programming has been improved on the Ladybird V2. It's certainly technology they aren't going to abandon.
I'd actually be very interested in knowing if there are actually any hardware differences between a "6 axis" system and a normal 3 axis system. I really suspect not... or at least very very little.

These things seem to work on a "marble in a bowl" system. So long as the attitude of the heli is within the bowl it tends to "fall" back to the bottom into level flight. Once you get out of the bowl, doing a flip or something, then it just acts like a normal 3G system. It's when you do something right on the lip of the bowl that you get weird artifacts where the heli is fighting you. Please forgive the lousy analogy but it's better than me trying to do the math

I haven't flown the newest 6axis systems on the new D02S or Master CP yet so I'd be curious if they'd tuned the bowl better than they have previously.

I do like the plug for the tail motor. No more soldering tails! If you snag one Dan I'll have to see it fly next to my V200.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 09:13 AM
United Kingdom, England, Enfield
Joined Jan 2012
777 Posts
I'll probably get one of these just to see how it flies compared to the V200.
Don't understand why they went with a brushed motor though. Looks like the RK-400SD motor from the V400D02.
That will be the first thing I'll change.
BenVK is offline Find More Posts by BenVK
Last edited by BenVK; Aug 17, 2012 at 10:35 AM.