HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:20 PM
Castle Support
USA, GA, Statesboro
Joined Oct 2007
949 Posts
Not sure on the SK setup... I believe if you are running the newest firmware from SK there is an issue... I had a Beta Tester using SK and it was working great and then they upgraded firmware on the SK and it no longer worked... Maybe one of the SK will chime in... Thanks.
Clintstone is offline Find More Posts by Clintstone
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2012, 05:07 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,356 Posts
I tried the new firmware with a SK540 and my Futaba 8FGH with Sbus receiver and had no problems. I set the end points to 100,100 and set the hold value to 15%. Plug in the ESC with the hold switch on and it arms every time. I made a few test flights and it does ok with those settings. I did not attempt to setup the Auto bailout but I have heard from others that Skookum needs a firmware update to make that reliable.

Skookum is going to have improved firmware out soon with improved governor for EP.

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Oct 12, 2012, 05:18 AM
Россия, город Москва, город Москва
Joined Jan 2011
5 Posts
The main problem is that the SK's (540, 720) does not pass though a throttle signal below idle throttle point, calibrated in Skookum setup software. You need to set the SK's idle thottle to esc arm point, not to hold point as setup program advises. Currently it is the only one solution (as I know), as long as Skookum is not make changes in firmware. If they're going to do it...
Sorry for my English.
Racer_X is offline Find More Posts by Racer_X
Old Oct 12, 2012, 06:58 AM
Fly,crash,repair,repeat.
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Oct 2011
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
I tried the new firmware with a SK540 and my Futaba 8FGH with Sbus receiver and had no problems. I set the end points to 100,100 and set the hold value to 15%. Plug in the ESC with the hold switch on and it arms every time. I made a few test flights and it does ok with those settings. I did not attempt to setup the Auto bailout but I have heard from others that Skookum needs a firmware update to make that reliable.

Skookum is going to have improved firmware out soon with improved governor for EP.

Which Skookum firmware are you running?
neoalchemist74 is offline Find More Posts by neoalchemist74
Old Oct 12, 2012, 09:02 AM
Fly,crash,repair,repeat.
Joined Oct 2011
40 Posts
Ok, it's working but I had to put the esc into airplane mode...so I guess it's not really working
Old Oct 12, 2012, 09:03 AM
Italy
Joined Oct 2004
114 Posts
Hello i write here some question about 4.02 firmware on ICE100 with external gov as i seen that support is better.

I will try to setup it to work on MSH Brain gov. First i want to say that Brain has a TH panel like vbar so i will use the same way to calibrate the TH on ESC.

Questions:
1- MSH Brain hasn't got any bailout function yet in the software. So how can i set autobailout on ICE100? ON or OFF?

2- Is there a way to have autobailout only from ICE100 even if using ext gov?

Thanks
uragano47812 is offline Find More Posts by uragano47812
Old Oct 12, 2012, 09:39 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,356 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by uragano47812 View Post
Hello i write here some question about 4.02 firmware on ICE100 with external gov as i seen that support is better.

I will try to setup it to work on MSH Brain gov. First i want to say that Brain has a TH panel like vbar so i will use the same way to calibrate the TH on ESC.

Questions:
1- MSH Brain hasn't got any bailout function yet in the software. So how can i set autobailout on ICE100? ON or OFF?

Thanks
V4.02 governor is excellent so it may be best to use the ICE Set RPM governor mode. Start with a gain of 15. Itís better than you might think.

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:32 AM
Fly,crash,repair,repeat.
Joined Oct 2011
40 Posts
I was able to get low end throttle end point set through the Sk software but not the high end this morning. The crazy thing is, the esc armed at end point 140 which on 8j the max. Now. My throttle channel in the transmitter is reversed, it always has been and b4 the latest software update I was running the throttle through the SK but using the CC governor. Could the throttle be reversed in the SK? I'll go through it again a little later. It seems to be working fine in airplane mode, sans auto bailout but I'd like it to be set up correctly.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 12:28 PM
Fly,crash,repair,repeat.
Joined Oct 2011
40 Posts
My problem is in setting the end points. I cant get any response from the esc if I attempt to set them with the throttle lead through the SK540( I dont have this problem when setting up the throttle normally, without governor turned on.) and if I attempt to set the end points out side of the SK first through the reciever it works unttil I unplug the esc then plug it back in, then the esc will not arm. I got it to work with the esc in airplane mode but its glitchy and it does"t feel like the rpm is correct. So its back to the CC governor for now.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 11:40 PM
Australia, NSW
Joined Mar 2011
19 Posts
OK I went to 12 PWM, upped HS to 2200 on Vbar gov & tweaked governor dynamics etc to give what I thought was reasonable performance.

Is there anyway I can upload the Castle Logs so you guys can give your thoughts?
The logs look very good given my limited experience in E power.

EDIT: I managed to zip them & upload.
HiroboFreak is online now Find More Posts by HiroboFreak
Last edited by HiroboFreak; Oct 14, 2012 at 11:46 PM.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 09:39 AM
Italy
Joined Oct 2004
114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by uragano47812 View Post

Questions:

Thanks
Ok i tested it with MSH Brain and it works really well a good soft start and the response is really great.
uragano47812 is offline Find More Posts by uragano47812
Old Oct 22, 2012, 12:19 PM
Castle Support
USA, GA, Statesboro
Joined Oct 2007
949 Posts
Thanks for your feedback... I have not tried the brain yet...
Clintstone is offline Find More Posts by Clintstone
Old Dec 04, 2012, 01:06 PM
Joined Jan 2012
25 Posts
Clearing Data Log

Came across this post

http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=475234

regarding not being able to clear data log by arming esc with full throttle. I noticed this too and assumed it might be fixed when the firmware was released. Anyone know if external governor mode disables it?
gsxrjohnny is offline Find More Posts by gsxrjohnny
Old Dec 04, 2012, 01:16 PM
RC Heli Nation
Bellingham, WA
Joined Aug 2009
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoalchemist74 View Post
My problem is in setting the end points. I cant get any response from the esc if I attempt to set them with the throttle lead through the SK540( I dont have this problem when setting up the throttle normally, without governor turned on.) and if I attempt to set the end points out side of the SK first through the reciever it works unttil I unplug the esc then plug it back in, then the esc will not arm. I got it to work with the esc in airplane mode but its glitchy and it does"t feel like the rpm is correct. So its back to the CC governor for now.
This is actually a SK glitch that will be fixed with the next firmware. There is a way around it described here http://www.rchelination.com/sk540-governor-with-cc-esc/ The performance on the SK Gov is quite worth it over the CC gov. The update will allow use of either the SK softstart and bailout or the CC soft start and bailout btw
nwmtech is offline Find More Posts by nwmtech
Last edited by nwmtech; Dec 04, 2012 at 01:23 PM.