HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 25, 2012, 03:11 AM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by efether View Post
I

Next, I'd like to say the Bandit explodes spectacularly upon impact, and is completely unsalvageable. IMHO, the "fiber fusion" does not allow for impact with the ground at any speed. The balsa simply exploded...there wasn't enough mass there to absorb the impact and simply popped, while the CF rods remained. Whether this effect is the result of soft balsa or cheaper wood with the expectation that the CF makes it better ... or something else, all I can say is, it doesn't take crashes well at all (same with my Addiction...it breaks easily upon any ground touches. I've repaired both wing tips repeatedly).

Although my Bandit is still flying I agree completely, the structure simply has no ability to take impact at all and although this is not the intention with an RC plane it happens and it would be nice if they could take a minor hit without having to rebuild half the plane.

I rebuilt the side frames and formers through the hatch area twice now, the first time a gust of wind flipped the plane over whilst stationary. Damage was two crushed wing tips, pushed in side frames and formers shattered, the second time was a pancaked landing and same sort of damage to the fuselage, after that one I rebuilt it with full CF formers and cross bracing.
luke352 is online now Find More Posts by luke352
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 25, 2012, 09:17 AM
Bedford, Mass. USA
Joined Dec 2007
386 Posts
Efether,

The crash could be due to pulling 54.8 amps through a 40 amp speed controller.
javabeans is offline Find More Posts by javabeans
Old Apr 25, 2012, 05:45 PM
I'm torquing to you!
Wattle Grove NSW Australia
Joined Nov 2006
7,345 Posts
Elvis has left the building!
Mr Kamikaze is offline Find More Posts by Mr Kamikaze
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hucking my Katana MX
Old Apr 25, 2012, 09:02 PM
Crash - Rebuild - Repeat
Atlanta, GA
Joined Aug 2007
496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by javabeans View Post
Efether,

The crash could be due to pulling 54.8 amps through a 40 amp speed controller.
You didn't read my posting. I had an external BEC.

Also...it doesn't explain the burnt electrical smell coming from the servo...nor the fact that the servo doesn't work anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kamikaze View Post
Elvis has left the building!
Thank ya...Thank ya very much...uh-huh!
efether is offline Find More Posts by efether
Old Apr 26, 2012, 12:19 AM
Joined Jan 2010
536 Posts
New motorbox is installed. It will be ready to fly again for the weekend.

Update: Now I can't find what I did with the screws for the motor. Guess we won't be flying tomorrow.
Josef086 is offline Find More Posts by Josef086
Last edited by Josef086; Apr 26, 2012 at 03:17 AM.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 10:01 AM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,151 Posts
New Katana is flying at SEFF!! I have some nice pictures. Will try to get more. Gonna try to shoot them to shaun for his blessing before posting them. Will probly be tonight before i can get them to him tho
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Apr 26, 2012, 10:26 AM
Pilot Francis 😄
United Kingdom, England, Brighton
Joined Jan 2012
1,749 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manta1 View Post
New Katana is flying at SEFF!! I have some nice pictures. Will try to get more. Gonna try to shoot them to shaun for his blessing before posting them. Will probly be tonight before i can get them to him tho
Awesome! I bet it looks really nice to fly
RCPilot1234 is offline Find More Posts by RCPilot1234
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Finally! Durafly Junior Review
Old Apr 26, 2012, 02:27 PM
3d flippin
United States, CA, Ontario
Joined Jan 2012
1,857 Posts
my plans for a bandit went out the window with this
The_MonsterMash is offline Find More Posts by The_MonsterMash
Old Apr 26, 2012, 03:01 PM
Crash - Rebuild - Repeat
Atlanta, GA
Joined Aug 2007
496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_MonsterMash View Post
my plans for a bandit went out the window with this
Is that at SEFF?
efether is offline Find More Posts by efether
Old Apr 26, 2012, 04:09 PM
There's magic in those wings !
Joined Nov 2006
4,801 Posts
Hi

I've flown the Extra MX a couple of times .. and I was impressed by the ease of handling and the ability to fly in windy days .. and I wonder how the Bandit on 4S and 12X6 can handle gusty wind ??.. I mean is it really fast ??

Thanks a lot

Khaled
khaled_abobakr is offline Find More Posts by khaled_abobakr
Old Apr 26, 2012, 05:08 PM
I'm torquing to you!
Wattle Grove NSW Australia
Joined Nov 2006
7,345 Posts
Daniels latest video was on 4s and it's fast and powerful!!!

Bandit - Xtreme 3D by Daniel Dominguez (7 min 34 sec)
Mr Kamikaze is offline Find More Posts by Mr Kamikaze
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hucking my Katana MX
Old Apr 27, 2012, 03:59 AM
3d flippin
United States, CA, Ontario
Joined Jan 2012
1,857 Posts
Quote:
Is that at SEFF?
no i wish i could make it out there
The_MonsterMash is offline Find More Posts by The_MonsterMash
Old Apr 27, 2012, 10:15 AM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,338 Posts
Quote:
So...now you're asking yourself why did it crash? Here's my answer -- The HiTech HS-5065 Servo I had on the rudder fried while I was doing knife-edge maneuvers, and locked the rudder at full right deflection. Further, when it fried....it rebooted the receiver. I spoke with some guys at the hobby shop today, and apparently there were some early issues with that servo, but HiTech says it's been fixed. I disagree...as does the two planes that died because of it. Even though I was using a separate BEC (Dimension Engineering), the receiver shut down for about 3-4 seconds...and in that time...the plane headed earthward. I did get control (minus rudder that was jammed at 45 degree) about 10 feet off the ground and managed to flatten the plane's trajectory to hit nearly flat. The wings, cowl and canopy survived (cowl got chipped, but canopy and wings are flawless) and are available to anyone who wants them (they're Red, with CF SFG's installed. I can also sell them with the HS-65MG servos if desired). So, to any and all considering using HS-5065 Digital Servos -- DO NOT BUY/USE HiTech HS-5065 Digital Servos unless you want to lose the plane!! This is the second plane I've lost due to that servo...and both planes suffered the EXACT same death symptoms.
Just a couple of friendly questions:

1. Was your ESC an opto, and if not, did you disconnect its red wire or otherwise prevent the external BEC and the ESC's internal BEC from being electrically placed in parallel?

2. Did you program a fail safe on your 5065?
7oneWo1f is online now Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Apr 27, 2012, 02:01 PM
Joined Jan 2010
536 Posts
I think he just had a bad servo. I have heard some stories about the 5065 crapping out like that.
Josef086 is offline Find More Posts by Josef086
Last edited by Josef086; Apr 27, 2012 at 04:16 PM.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 02:09 PM
Panama
Joined Jul 2005
3,449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaled_abobakr View Post
Hi

I've flown the Extra MX a couple of times .. and I was impressed by the ease of handling and the ability to fly in windy days .. and I wonder how the Bandit on 4S and 12X6 can handle gusty wind ??.. I mean is it really fast ??

Thanks a lot

Khaled
The Bandit with 4S and 12x6 i would say is a bit faster than the Extra MX!, both handle the wind really good, and have tons of power!!!
aerofundan is offline Find More Posts by aerofundan
Site Sponsor