HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 20, 2013, 08:32 PM
Vintage Aircraft Lover
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Jan 2013
575 Posts
Here's what I'm planning to power the Q-Tee with. It is a TT GP-07. I bench ran it the other day, found it is a really user friendly engine, much more powerful than the Cox .049 Black Widow it replaces, easy throttling, a real sweet engine. Once broke in, I plan to try an APC 7x3 prop for it.
GallopingGhostlr is offline Find More Posts by GallopingGhostlr
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2013, 02:15 PM
Joined May 2005
241 Posts
Here's mine

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post24227891

Not a 1/2A version, so, I posted in an appropriate forum.
What a classic this design is!
Can't wait for the first test flight.
Alard is offline Find More Posts by Alard
Old Feb 23, 2013, 09:01 PM
Joined Aug 2011
48 Posts
Micro Tee -- smaller Q-Tee Spin-off

Not to mess with the thread; but since this has turned to somewhat Q-Tee related things, here is a smaller Q-Tee that while made of foam, is simply a shrunk-down version of the original.

It is powered by and AP05 3000kv outrunner, XP-7A esc and a 2S 240mah battery. I call it the "Micro Tee". It could also easily be built from light balsa.

It was originally posted on a build thread in electric micros and indoor, but the older threads went away. I offer it here FWIW, for those who might have an interest.

The plans show a heavier, built-up wing which is great for winds maybe 5-8 mph; the last photo shows a much lighter heat-formed depron wing with a couple of carbon tube spars, which is much better for indoors, or outdoors in calm conditions. I fly this wing in the street and my front yard.

Plans are free to use in all non-commercial ways. Enjoy.
TheRealMrEd is offline Find More Posts by TheRealMrEd
Old Feb 24, 2013, 03:31 PM
Joined Jan 2004
335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skorski View Post
The Q-Tee was my first powered R/C back around 74(?)
But the next two powered planes were both Ace whizzards(I still have both wings!)
The reason I bring this up in the QT thread is, I analized and finally figured out what it would take to do an axial roll with just rudder & elevator!
I got my first Q-Tee back around 1990. I needed a .049 for a E-Z Bee that I had, so I went to the hobby shop to look for one. The hobby shop owner had a poorly built rudder only Q-Tee that some guy had been building while in rehab, and left it with the shop for some reason I can't remember. The guy never came back, so the shop owner sold me the Q-Tee, engine, and a 2 channel Airtronics radio for $20 bucks to get back what the guy owed him.

I took it home, fixed the guy's mistakes, and put 200 flights on the plane. I then gave it to a friend when I moved, and have no idea how many flights he put on it.

I used to really amaze the guys at the R/C field when I'd do rolls with the rudder only plane. I just got to altitude and put it into a spin. After a few turns, I'd center the rudder and it'd zoom up out of the spin. When it got to the right nose up attitude, I'd just give it full rudder and it'd do a nice barrel roll. Not quite a snap roll, just a lazy roll. Worked better to the right than the left, though.
gettinout is offline Find More Posts by gettinout
Old Feb 24, 2013, 10:35 PM
Vintage Aircraft Lover
Joined Jan 2013
575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinout View Post
I used to really amaze the guys at the R/C field when I'd do rolls with the rudder only plane. I just got to altitude and put it into a spin. After a few turns, I'd center the rudder and it'd zoom up out of the spin. When it got to the right nose up attitude, I'd just give it full rudder and it'd do a nice barrel roll. Not quite a snap roll, just a lazy roll. Worked better to the right than the left, though.
Yes, rudder only aerobatics is fun to do. Only thing is that where it is windy, a little tougher. I used to add shims to the back side of the wing, to reduce the amount of climb in up to 15 MPH (25 kmh) winds. The Q-Tee has a longer tail moment. If you really want fantastic R/O aerobatics, try it with a shorter coupled plane like the Sterling Minnie Mambo. I could get it to loop twice after spiral diving, and it could do multiple barrel rolls.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 27, 2013, 09:17 PM
Model Hijacker
United States, WA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2011
49 Posts
There is a kit for sale over on flea bay...

Not mine, just wanted to get it out there for those to lazy to scratch theirs from the free plan sets here
MrGoodwreck is offline Find More Posts by MrGoodwreck
Old Feb 28, 2013, 07:11 PM
Vintage Aircraft Lover
Joined Jan 2013
575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoodwreck View Post
There is a kit for sale over on flea bay... Not mine, just wanted to get it out there for those to lazy to scratch theirs from the free plan sets here
Which? the Minnie Mambo or Q-Tee?
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 02, 2013, 09:14 AM
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Feb 2013
92 Posts
Q-Tee Progress

Managed to get the winig mostly framed up over the last couple of weeks, just working a bit here and there. I used 1/16 balsa for the ribs because that is what I had on hand. I used 1/4" hard balsa for the leading edge, which I sanded and carved to shape, rather than the hardwood called for on the plans. Addeed 1/2 triangular gussets also cut from 1/16" at the ribs joints. Modified the spar design to an upper and lower 3/16" square and will be bracing the dihedral joints with 1/16" ply.

Back to work on the fuselage as soon as I finish the wing. Still thinking about which engine to go with. I could use a throttled job, such as the WASP .061 or the TT .07, both of which I have on hand, or I could go traditional with a Cox QZ type, or the OK Cub as I originally considered.
pulserudder is offline Find More Posts by pulserudder
Old Mar 04, 2013, 10:23 AM
Kirkland, WA
Joined Sep 2007
178 Posts
Jim, a year or so has gone by... any chance of firing up the laser cutter for short kit short run?
aeronca11AC is offline Find More Posts by aeronca11AC
Old Mar 04, 2013, 10:34 AM
You sabotaged my plane.
Arizona
Joined Jun 2002
2,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronca11AC View Post
Jim, a year or so has gone by... any chance of firing up the laser cutter for short kit short run?
You have my attention.

Jim
eliworm is online now Find More Posts by eliworm
Old Mar 04, 2013, 11:34 AM
Joined May 2005
241 Posts
At this point . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliworm View Post
You have my attention.

Jim
I should mention that this is where I got most of the parts for my Q-tee.
Made for a very smooth build.

See post #122
Alard is offline Find More Posts by Alard
Old Mar 04, 2013, 01:21 PM
Vintage Aircraft Lover
Joined Jan 2013
575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulserudder View Post
Managed to get the winig mostly framed up over the last couple of weeks, just working a bit here and there. I used 1/16 balsa for the ribs because that is what I had on hand. I used 1/4" hard balsa for the leading edge, which I sanded and carved to shape, rather than the hardwood called for on the plans. Addeed 1/2 triangular gussets also cut from 1/16" at the ribs joints. Modified the spar design to an upper and lower 3/16" square and will be bracing the dihedral joints with 1/16" ply.

Back to work on the fuselage as soon as I finish the wing. Still thinking about which engine to go with. I could use a throttled job, such as the WASP .061 or the TT .07, both of which I have on hand, or I could go traditional with a Cox QZ type, or the OK Cub as I originally considered.
Interesting that you added the gussets to ribs, I haven't done that in my builds/rebuilds, but I can see the merit of it. So far, the stock dihedral joint has been sufficiently strong to withstand .049 aerobatics, but I'm wondering how it will hold up the TT GP-07 I'm installing. I think the .07 is gentle enough, that it should provide exhiliarating experience but not overpowering like a .09 or .10 engine.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 04, 2013, 03:34 PM
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Feb 2013
92 Posts
Thanks for the observations, GallopingGhostir. I suppose the gussets are a nod to the influence free flight and old timer models have on my scratch-building. They serve not only to reinforce the joint on the thin 1/16" ribs, but also seem to add some torsional strength as well, plus they just look really cool beneath a tissue and dope or transparent film covering. The alternative to gussets would be notching the leading and trailing edges to hold the ribs, like a Goldberg or Sterling kit might show, but I like the gussets.

The ply dihedral braces are just a matter of style as was the substitution of upper and lower spars for the single one-piece spar shown on the plans. The use of the ply braces should also serve to eliminate the need for the fiberglass around the center section on a small model like this.

The stock wing would certainly build quicker/easier and is of course plenty strong, but I happen to really enjoy building and am in no particular hurry to get done with any given project...
pulserudder is offline Find More Posts by pulserudder
Old Mar 04, 2013, 04:30 PM
Vintage Aircraft Lover
Joined Jan 2013
575 Posts
Okay, I understand now where you are coming from, pulserudder. You also saved some weight as the kit Q-Tee used 3/32nd inch thick ribs instead of the lighter 1/16th.

I think Q-Tee would also lend itself to construction with modern depron sheet foam. That would extend the usefulness of the design with a savings in construction costs. Conversion to electric would give options for alternate forms of power.

I've decided to up the power a little over the .049 Black Widow, as with throttle, the TT GP-07 can be throttled back for cruising but then full bore for stunts. There would be less diving to pick up speed for loops and rolls. It won't have vertical performance IMO, but use of a .09 or .10 would kind of destroy its character as a park flyer.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 04, 2013, 10:55 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,260 Posts
Hi Guys!!
i have read this threat with pleasure... iīm new on rc and i been building and flying electric models to fly close to home, as i live in Mexico City, there are no big places for flight. all my models are in this kind of size or smaller but i was afraid to fly a cox in the field, now i feel a little more experienced and want to try one of these... i have a throttle control engine, a black widow and a golden bee... but donīt have any experience about flying this kind of planes. so i will need help (i have learned by myself so be patient)

Here some pics of my electric models
colibriguitars is online now Find More Posts by colibriguitars
Last edited by colibriguitars; Mar 04, 2013 at 11:05 PM.