HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 15, 2013, 01:57 PM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
7,376 Posts
Discussion
Gaui X7 FBL - Discussion, videos, pictures, etc.

I recently added this heli to my fleet. It arrived a few weeks back. It will be a bit longer before i can start funding the electronics for it. I just put in an order with anythingheli.com for all off the basic upgrade parts i wanted though. The new autohub and OWB/gear assembly, the helical tail gear set and the upgrade CNC swash driver/ washout arms for the pitch links. I also ordered a Fusuno canopy.

It was hard for me to decide between the yellow jolly bee design and the Stratovarious design. I am not a big fan of green. I know it's neon green but i get concerned about flying in front of a tree line or something with how it might blend with the background. But ultimately the Stratovarious won in the end.

I started a log for my build. But i wanted to start this thread for discussion and to post flight videos, etc. The build log needs to be updated because i am already done with the better part of the build. So, yeah. I've been slacking on uploading the media and things. But everyone in this thread, please feel free to post videos, pictures. Whatever you have from your experience from this heli.

Here is the link to my build log, i'm sure I will update it very soon:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...9#post25249041
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Jun 15, 2013 at 02:02 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 29, 2013, 12:57 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,376 Posts
Finally completed the first section of the build log. The heli has been done for a while. But getting around to uploading pictures and editing descriptions has been taking me a bit of time. More to come later.

#1 - Index (this post)

#3 - Gaui X7 Build - Part 1 - The Main Airframe
Old Jul 13, 2013, 12:07 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,376 Posts
Uhhhg. Getting funds together for this build's electronics is taking forever. I finally received my CC EDGE 160 HV this week and just tonight placed an order for my 3 RJX HV cyclic servos. So things are moving along but it's still going to be a while before i get this one in the air. Now all i need is the tail servo and a few other things. I hope to have it in the air within a month or so.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 05:28 PM
United States, CA, Rancho Cordova
Joined Jan 2011
3,867 Posts
Dang, I saw the price of the RJX servos and got a sick feeling in my stomach. I'm sure they have replacement gear sets for them.
barnstorm100 is offline Find More Posts by barnstorm100
Old Jul 13, 2013, 05:42 PM
Super Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2012
1,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnstorm100 View Post
Dang, I saw the price of the RJX servos and got a sick feeling in my stomach. I'm sure they have replacement gear sets for them.
How about 3 of these for cyclics at over $200 each?

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...3&I=LXBJCP&P=K
TheKingPhisher is offline Find More Posts by TheKingPhisher
Old Jul 13, 2013, 07:55 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnstorm100 View Post
They do in fact have gear sets for replacement. However most places are out of stock right now. It's been VERY hard for me to find anyone complaining about these servos. The majority of things i've seen are small QC issues like an occasional rough gear or noisy gear mesh or something. Once the issue is addressed. It seems everything is fine after that. You know even MKS has some people complain about their servos. All brands have some QC issues going out the door. RJX servos are made by the brand "Servoking" which are based out of Taiwan. I can't lie. Just coming from Taiwan instills a certain degree of trust by it's self.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPhisher View Post
How about 3 of these for cyclics at over $200 each?

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...3&I=LXBJCP&P=K
No doubt that Futaba makes good servos. Funny thing about it is that these RJX servos are capable of receiving 8.4v instead of the max of 7.4v on the Futaba servos. At 8.4v the RJX servos have the highest speed and most torque out of any servo i have looked at so far, especially in this price range. I have not closely examined the Futaba servo's specs. But i am confident that the RJX servos are both faster and stronger. So my biggest concern becomes the service life expectancy.

The RJX servos are much higher spec than the Torq Outrage or MKS equivalent servos too. But the thing is they cost a lot less and are newer. Meaning those Outrage servos have been on the market for 3 years or so. These new servos are possibly newer technology. I think they come with titanium plated gears and CNC servo horns too.

The way i figure it. I couldn't take the speculation and assumptions any longer. I aim to put these servos to the test so i can personally know once and for all if they are worth all the hype they have been getting as of late. These days pro 3D pilots are starting to put them to the test too. So lets not forget that MKS was a nobody cheapo brand of servos until hobbyking started selling them. Word spread and than 3D pros put them to the test. Now they are one of the most expensive and popular servos on the market.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 09:00 PM
Super Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2012
1,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
No doubt that Futaba makes good servos. Funny thing about it is that these RJX servos are capable of receiving 8.4v instead of the max of 7.4v on the Futaba servos. At 8.4v the RJX servos have the highest speed and most torque out of any servo i have looked at so far, especially in this price range. I have not closely examined the Futaba servo's specs. But i am confident that the RJX servos are both faster and stronger. So my biggest concern becomes the service life expectancy.
The Futaba I linked to actually offer higher torque...305.6 oz/in @ 7.4V compared to the RJX...270.9oz/in @ 7.4V and 295.9oz/in @ 8.4V. Speed is about the same. Of course it costs a lot more but then you have proven Futaba reliability, durability and quality control. With that said the RJX seems like a very good servo for the price, hopefully it lives up to everyone's expectations.
Last edited by TheKingPhisher; Jul 13, 2013 at 10:02 PM.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 01:07 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPhisher View Post
The Futaba I linked to actually offer higher torque...305.6 oz/in @ 7.4V compared to the RJX...270.9oz/in @ 7.4V and 295.9oz/in @ 8.4V. Speed is about the same. Of course it costs a lot more but then you have proven Futaba reliability, durability and quality control. With that said the RJX seems like a very good servo for the price, hopefully it lives up to everyone's expectations.
Yeah, the tail servo is even faster still but has about half the torque of the cyclic ones. Either way. I'll be finding out how good they are in the coming months.

It's going to take me a little while to build some momentum on buying packs. But once i get the heli out of the way and start getting flight packs. I'll be flying this heli more and more going forward. Though i doubt i'll be flying it as much as my X5. Because the X5 is something i can throw in the back of the car and stop to fly after work. I have a feeling the X7 is going to have a little more production behind it. So it may only be taken out on days off and weekends, etc.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 06:49 PM
ft. worth
Joined Jul 2004
915 Posts
Align 610 servos work well on cyclic and can handle hard 3d. BLS251 on the tail.
philip frank is offline Find More Posts by philip frank
Old Jul 15, 2013, 06:56 PM
Super Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2012
1,958 Posts
That's a nice looking heli...the camera rig is cool too. Did you make it yourself?
Old Jul 15, 2013, 07:07 PM
ft. worth
Joined Jul 2004
915 Posts
Thank you. It is a airfoil mount I got a deal on that I added all the electronics to.
philip frank is offline Find More Posts by philip frank
Old Jul 15, 2013, 11:09 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,376 Posts
Yeah man, it's looking good. That canopy looks much better on the heli than in the sales pictures too. I guess that is true with all of them though.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 11:25 PM
peoria,az
Joined Sep 2009
491 Posts
For servos I would HIghly reccomend MKS or Pro-Tecs. I personnaly run the MKS 950-980s in my birds! The new Protecs are being Raved at the moment!

Mattox
mattox is offline Find More Posts by mattox
Old Jul 18, 2013, 10:38 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,376 Posts
Well the servos have all arrived.