HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 23, 2012, 02:11 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,239 Posts
Discussion
Wiring Diagram for Hitec Optima 6 Lite

I'd like to use the SPC feature to power the receiver and a Park BEC to power the servos in typical BRUSHLESS motor powered airplane models. The diagram included with the instruction sheet shows a brush-type ESC setup with a dark wire running from ESC output connected to a BEC wire with connector being plugged into channel 3 on receiver. The instructions state that you will still need to supply power with a NIMH receiver battery or a 2 cell lipo and regulator setup. ( ???What about using the BEC output of the ESC or and add on switch mode BEC like the Park BEC from Dimension Engineering to power the servos.

Can you provide a hookup diagram for a typical brushless power setup using SPC to power receiver and a Park BEC to power the servos?
Also, are dark colored wires on Optima instructions positive or negative?

http://www.hitecrcd.com/files/2.4GHz...nual_EN_v3.pdf

http://www.dimensionengineering.com/...ts/ParkBEC.pdf
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2012, 02:41 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Challenged View Post
I'd like to use the SPC feature to power the receiver and a Park BEC to power the servos in typical BRUSHLESS motor powered airplane models. The diagram included with the instruction sheet shows a brush-type ESC setup with a dark wire running from ESC output connected to a BEC wire with connector being plugged into channel 3 on receiver. The instructions state that you will still need to supply power with a NIMH receiver battery or a 2 cell lipo and regulator setup. ( ???What about using the BEC output of the ESC or and add on switch mode BEC like the Park BEC from Dimension Engineering to power the servos.
Can you provide a hookup diagram for a typical brushless power setup using SPC to power receiver and a Park BEC to power the servos?
Also, are dark colored wires on Optima instructions positive or negative?
Both links provided return "can not be found", however, the dark line on the Optima/Minima instruction
sheet schematic is "Positive" as indicated by connection to centre pin of the three pin plug.
Copy of that diagram is attached first link below.

A schematic next to the picture of an Optima 6 showing typical connection details for any brushless system
and a photo showing how SPC lead is attached to the ESC plug, are attached to:
. Optima Transceiver (RX) - SPC connection & Lead FAQ for EP & GP models.

further information under:
. Optima Transceiver (RX) - EP Models Use SPC Port for RX Power Supply (BEC only is unreliable) & correct Battery Telemetry.

Further photo of ESC/SPC lead connection:
Telemetry - Battery Voltage via SPC for EP Models #1 - Good Instructions and Pictures.
Telemetry - Battery Voltage via SPC for EP Models #2 - more pictures.
Never connect to Balance Taps which quickly break at their fragile battery terminals,

ex Hitec USA Support Forum Sticky:
Aurora 9, AFHSS Spectra Modules, Optima Transceivers, Minima Receivers
& Telemetry
- FAQ & Undocumented Features
- Mixes, Setups, Tips. {Individual Links often updated}

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
A.T. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 03:15 PM
Joined Oct 2000
12,239 Posts
This is the pdf for Optima 6 Lite, it shows a brushed-type motor setup with two leads going from ESC to the brushed motor and a what looks like a single lead from ESC connecting to the positive wire of the pigtail going to receiver channel 3 pins.

http://www.hitecrcd.com/files/2.4GHz...nual_EN_v3.pdf

This is the installation guide for connecting a Park BEC to an ESC and to a receiver:

http://www.dimensionengineering.com/...ts/ParkBEC.pdf

Both of the above links work at this end, no sure why they didn't work at your end???

AlanT., I would like really to see a clear and complete wiring diagram showing how to connect an Optima 6 Lite receiver, a Park BEC (switch mode external BEC), and a brushless type ESC and motor to power the receiver via the SPC and the servos via the Park BEC. The instructions for the Optima receiver say that you still must use a NiMh battery pack or a 2 cell lipo pack with regulator to power the servos and do not mention powering the servos via a BEC circuit. To add to the confusion, it looks as if the receiver must be "powered up" first before "powering up" the servos or servos could be damaged. Are two switches needed to power up receiver and servos separately using the SPC feature to power receiver and BEC or battery pack to power the servos? If so, I guess I won't use the SPC feature and will use the Park BEC to power receiver and servos in the conventional manner for simplicity sake.
Last edited by E-Challenged; Oct 23, 2012 at 03:41 PM.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 03:23 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Quote:
Thank you, that is the same schmatic as referrred post #2
"Copy of that diagram is attached first link below."

Alan T.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 04:36 PM
Joined Oct 2000
12,239 Posts
I think that I finally understand attached block diagram now, the left-most white thing is the BEC connected to the esc power wires and pigtail is connected to the receiver servo buss pins to power servos only. The next white thing is the ESC with pigtail connected to its power leads to SPC to power receiver only. The pigtail from ESC to receiver channel 3 pins is shown on face of ESC image but not shown as connected from ESC to receiver. The red wire in this pigtail is to be disconnected if using an external BEC. The big white thing is the motor battery. The three wires to the brushless motor come out of top of ESC image. The blue things are male and female ESC and battery connectors. Also not shown are switches to power up the receiver before powering up the servos (If required)
Last edited by E-Challenged; Oct 23, 2012 at 05:12 PM.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 12:40 PM
Joined Oct 2000
12,239 Posts
Alan T, is it necessary to "power up" the receiver first, and then the servos to avoid damage to servos, when using the SPC port to power an Optima receiver?
Old Oct 25, 2012, 03:11 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Quote:
Alan T, is it necessary to "power up" the receiver first, and then the servos to avoid damage to servos, when using the SPC port to power an Optima receiver?
Should not be necessary with any EP Models when using the SPC port as in post #2.
Problem occurs when connecting ESC/BEC to servo bus without using the SPC port.

Extract from SPC connection FAQ:
"7. Optima Receiver - Servo Wag with BEC Reason & Prevention of Servo Wag when switching on some ESC."
"Here is the answer: Use the SPC plug on the receiver. Let me explain the reason why.
Though I have not been able to get hard numbers on the ESC’s actual BEC amperage ratings, from my tests, this appears to be the issue. The Hitec 2.4GHz receivers use bi-directional communication with the transmitter module. In other words, they are transmitting as well as receiving. Because of this their current draw is higher than standard 72MHz receivers and even some 2.4GHz receivers. When coupled with the current draw of 4 micro servos, this can reach 1A or more. To compound the problem, when the receiver first initializes, it uses more current than it does during normal operation. The excessive servo movement during power on is a result of the BEC circuit being overloaded.
“Boot up” time is another factor. The initial startup time of the receivers can vary depending on the environment and due to complexity of the receivers themselves. This may cause the servos to perform a quick jump. The jump could range from a small hop or as much as a inch. The problem does not occur in most digital servos because of how their circuits are designed. The servo jump will only occur during the initial boot up, not when the receiver experiences a brown out.
By using the SPC plug, you power the receiver directly from the battery and bypass the BEC circuit.
It will also allow you to turn on the receiver first, letting it boot up before applying power to the servos.

The SPC circuit eliminates any receiver brown outs due to the drain on the BEC.
The only other option would be to use an ESC with at least a 2A BEC when using 4 micro servos.
Tony Ohm Hitec Multiplex USA "

Alan T.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 10:17 PM
Joined Oct 2000
12,239 Posts
OMG!, I have been using an Optima 6 with Scorpion ESC and add-on Park BEC to power five servos without using the SPC connection, but so far have not noticed any servo movement during connection of the 3S Lipo motor battery . Thanks for the explanation, will use the SPC from now on for receiver and Park BEC for servos.
Old Dec 04, 2014, 06:53 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2014
3 Posts
Optima 7 spc rookie mistake

so as I was attempting to connect the 12v input to the SPC port this caused a large amount of smoke. I later discovered I had the polarity incorrect (the JST plug I was using to connect into my quad was wired backwards) so, any ideas how to replace the voltage regulator on the board? I can't find any information about this receiver online, I am not willing to pay overseas postage for hitec to repair this and was hoping somebody had some information on how to fix it. Thanks.
Rabbs355 is offline Find More Posts by Rabbs355
Old Dec 04, 2014, 07:00 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2014
3 Posts
Optima 7

photo attached.
Rabbs355 is offline Find More Posts by Rabbs355