HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:47 PM
Dark Yet??
United States, VA, Narrows
Joined Dec 2009
1,570 Posts
I have shopped other OSDs and nothing comes close in the price range.........if it all works.

It would be great if someone in the states would rep the Cyclops line.
Barn-E-Stormer is offline Find More Posts by Barn-E-Stormer
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2012, 03:26 AM
Fatshark Repairs AU/NZ
Australia, NSW, Yamba
Joined Oct 2008
789 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iskess View Post
It looks very promising. I'm very impressed with what I've seen so far. The mAh bug is not such a big deal in and of its self, but it is a symptom of a much larger problem. The fact that this problem exists after the Nova bug history is disconcerting. If there were a company rep that would answer inquiries I wouldn't hesitate for a minute. I'm wary of buying another Cyclops product until there is a little more visibility by the company. It appears that BEVRC is taking on some of that duty with a few posts that shows they are communicating for Cyclops who is apparently working on solutions to issues. That is a small move in the right direction, although BEV doesn't have a good track record of communication. People have been known to wait weeks sometimes for responses from them.
The Storm itself is very exciting. I love the simple altitude lock concept with the little icon.
Some simple changes that are needed:
1) RSSI at percentage
2) GPS coordinates. It would save space to skip degrees and display only minutes and seconds. 1 minute is almost 2 km, so it would be easy to assume the larger coordinate units.
Or they could do like DOSD and RVOSD, and display the GPS data when the altitude:distance ratio goes below a preset value.
3) I wish there were a way to attach an add on barometric altimeter. But I realize this is beyond the scope of this OSD.
I hear there maybe a firmware update coming with some key improvements.
But this one already has a barometric sensor on it .
hpcoolahan is offline Find More Posts by hpcoolahan
Old Sep 25, 2012, 09:56 AM
RTFM
Antarctica
Joined Oct 2010
1,178 Posts
Bevrc have commented on YouTube regarding my flight review.
What do people think about their comment?
Especially about the current sensor reading.
octane81 is offline Find More Posts by octane81
Old Sep 25, 2012, 11:33 AM
FPV in Hawaii
United States, HI, Kailua
Joined Feb 2012
2,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpcoolahan View Post
But this one already has a barometric sensor on it .
Really!? I didn't realize that. From the videos I've watched, the altimeter seems to be off when close to the ground, so I assumed it was gps alt.
iskess is offline Find More Posts by iskess
Old Sep 25, 2012, 11:52 AM
FPV in Hawaii
Joined Feb 2012
2,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by octane81 View Post
That is total BS. My DOSD shows mAh very close to recharged amount.
If this is correct, why did the Nova get a firmware update to fix it? After firmware 1.1 came out, it fixed some people's Nova's, but not mine. I showed Yang that it was always 30% off, and he eventually sent me a new board which worked great. The mAh was within 10% always. Why would Yang send me a new board if 30% off was normal?
I'm not buying this BS from BEV.
However there is one way to tell for sure if there is still a mAh bug. Hook up a WattsUp meter and run down a battery and see if the mAh readings are close. This takes out many variables like the condition, temperature and quality of your battery and charger.
Please report back your findings.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 01:15 PM
Netherlands
Joined Dec 2010
316 Posts
Quote:
Really!? I didn't realize that. From the videos I've watched, the altimeter seems to be off when close to the ground, so I assumed it was gps alt.
No its very precise from what I have seen on youtube
Octane flies below his starting point couse he was standing on a little higher road then the field was
(correct me if iam wrong octane)
I have the EZosd but thats using gps and most of the times its 10 meters off real altitude

I am really impressed with the hightlock based on youtube vids
wippo76 is offline Find More Posts by wippo76
Old Sep 25, 2012, 01:24 PM
Netherlands
Joined Dec 2010
316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by octane81 View Post
Ithink they have a point
But my Ezosd gives less mah
For example used 4000 charging back only 3300 so also not right but yes its safer to count more than less do some more testing and regulate the mah settings lower in the osd ...so call a 3000 alarm at 2000
wippo76 is offline Find More Posts by wippo76
Old Sep 25, 2012, 04:41 PM
Australia, QLD, Hervey Bay
Joined Apr 2008
178 Posts
Quote:
May be you should buy one & do a review or read the spec's

Ordered mine, hopefully the new software will be release by time it gets here.
lee8sec is online now Find More Posts by lee8sec
Last edited by lee8sec; Sep 25, 2012 at 04:52 PM.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 05:06 PM
Joined Apr 2008
178 Posts
Features:

♦ Reliable AHRS based, don't be affected by weather and background of flying field. Fully tested with wooden, EPO, EPP and even oil-drived 15-class planes, proven robust anti-vibration algorithms. No need extra anti-vibration devices.

♦ Tiny size with ALL-IN-ONE design, the main-board integrates OSD, Gyro sensor,accelerometer sensor, barometre sensor, and the control unit, also with enough input and output ports, offer precise attitute hold and staberlization.

♦ Fully tested with different kinds of planes, support normal 4-channels plane, V-tail, and flyingwings.

♦ 3 flying modes, make your fly easier and funny, manual mode, PA mode, and RTH mode

♦ 3 OSD screens, you can always find your favorite one

♦ New 10hz gps module with back-up battery, 5 seconds locking time after first locking. 100A current sensor module
Old Sep 25, 2012, 05:26 PM
FPV in Hawaii
Joined Feb 2012
2,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee8sec View Post
May be you should buy one & do a review or read the spec's
No need to get snippy. I admitted my error. I did read the specs, and I missed that fact, but I was quickly and politely corrected by hpcoolahan. I have a great deal of experience with the Nova, and I made a false assumption based on past experience. I think the rest of my long post was useful, and remenber, BarnE asked me my opinion of the Storm, and so I gave it.
Isn't that the whole point of the thread? To iron out all that we know and what we don't before making a purchase?
I have purchased 4 OSDs now and I use these open disscussions to learn and help others.
I hope you enjoy your new purchase, and take the time to write us all the honest pros and cons of the Storm. We look forward to your opinion.
Last edited by iskess; Sep 25, 2012 at 05:36 PM.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 05:45 PM
The Dreamer
Sydney, Australia
Joined Dec 2010
942 Posts
Watts Up

I have a CE OSD. I have tested Nova OSD..and here again the big subject add infinitum is the mAh reading. I'm planning to purchase a storm OSD.

Why doesn't someone do the test with a separate meter mAh.

Connect a Watt's-Up style meter on the lipo. Turn on everything and have it working FPV on the bench. Run the motor etc. Get some mAh. Then recharge the lipo.

Compare the Storm mAh to the Watts-Up meter.

My CE OSD mAh is very accurate. Better than 5%.

Watt's-Up doc

Something like this meter. There are other and cheaper mAh meter available.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=6380
Pisces is offline Find More Posts by Pisces
Old Sep 25, 2012, 05:45 PM
Dark Yet??
United States, VA, Narrows
Joined Dec 2009
1,570 Posts
+1

I await everyone's review. I am tired of being the guinea pig.
Barn-E-Stormer is offline Find More Posts by Barn-E-Stormer
Old Sep 25, 2012, 06:51 PM
Joined Apr 2008
178 Posts
Quote:
No need to get snippy. I admitted my error. I did read the specs, and I missed that fact, but I was quickly and politely corrected by hpcoolahan. I have a great deal of experience with the Nova, and I made a false assumption based on past experience. I think the rest of my long post was useful, and remenber, BarnE asked me my opinion of the Storm, and so I gave it.
Isn't that the whole point of the thread? To iron out all that we know and what we don't before making a purchase?
I have purchased 4 OSDs now and I use these open disscussions to learn and help others.
I hope you enjoy your new purchase, and take the time to write us all the honest pros and cons of the Storm. We look forward to your opinion.
I agree its great to have independent people post there reviews & reports on what they have had experience using & problems with the item.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 09:00 PM
RTFM
Antarctica
Joined Oct 2010
1,178 Posts
Quote:
That is total BS. My DOSD shows mAh very close to recharged amount.
If this is correct, why did the Nova get a firmware update to fix it? After firmware 1.1 came out, it fixed some people's Nova's, but not mine. I showed Yang that it was always 30% off, and he eventually sent me a new board which worked great. The mAh was within 10% always. Why would Yang send me a new board if 30% off was normal?
I'm not buying this BS from BEV.
However there is one way to tell for sure if there is still a mAh bug. Hook up a WattsUp meter and run down a battery and see if the mAh readings are close. This takes out many variables like the condition, temperature and quality of your battery and charger.
Please report back your findings.
I think its strange bevrc says i need to drain the battery to 9v for the current sensor to show the true capacity of the battery,

Does anyone here really drain their battery to 9v? i think you would get a puffy lipo then

At what voltage is a lipo actually empty?
octane81 is offline Find More Posts by octane81
Old Sep 25, 2012, 09:42 PM
FPV'r
Canada, ON, Carleton Place
Joined May 2011
1,226 Posts
IMO: why do you need mah used?
you have voltage and that tells you the true discharge state of the battery.
why make things more complicated. I have not even installed the mah reader on the old NOVA OSD.
if something is defective with the battery the mah may not be the expected value and you keep flying only to crash. If you watch the voltage, you will know something is wrong and land..
ror1 is offline Find More Posts by ror1