HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 09, 2011, 07:34 AM
But I am learning
USA, MD, Cumberland
Joined Apr 2008
1,047 Posts
Gilles, thanks for opening this up on RCGroups. Sometimes the Yahoo boards are hard to navigate.

I have a question/concern. When cutting intertwined panels, and using the "X" cut at the LE, the first cut exits the foam wrong. The first cut is the bottom surface of the upper core, but when it gets to the LE, it changes direction and the "X" cut is in the up direction (instead of following the LE trajectory down). I don't know how else to explain this, but has anyone seen this? Is it something I have done wrong?

Thanks, Brian P.
I_Can't_Fly is offline Find More Posts by I_Can't_Fly
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 09, 2011, 08:16 AM
France
Joined Feb 2006
282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Can't_Fly View Post
Gilles, thanks for opening this up on RCGroups. Sometimes the Yahoo boards are hard to navigate.

I have a question/concern. When cutting intertwined panels, and using the "X" cut at the LE, the first cut exits the foam wrong. The first cut is the bottom surface of the upper core, but when it gets to the LE, it changes direction and the "X" cut is in the up direction (instead of following the LE trajectory down). I don't know how else to explain this, but has anyone seen this? Is it something I have done wrong?

Thanks, Brian P.
Hi Brian,

Just send me a project that has this problem. I will correct it.

Are you using the latest GMFC version?

Gilles
gm.cnc is offline Find More Posts by gm.cnc
Old Mar 09, 2011, 01:43 PM
But I am learning
USA, MD, Cumberland
Joined Apr 2008
1,047 Posts
Yes I was using the latest, but the problem was occurring over the last 3 versions. I will try to send you a project with the error.

Thanks, Brian P.
I_Can't_Fly is offline Find More Posts by I_Can't_Fly
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 09, 2011, 04:33 PM
United States, MI, Monroe
Joined Mar 2000
875 Posts
Power it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyowindworks View Post
Sweet. Packing material to boot! How are you powering the wires?
I use a vereact at full power.
Kevin Matney is online now Find More Posts by Kevin Matney
Old Mar 12, 2011, 09:07 AM
France
Joined Feb 2006
282 Posts
GMFC version 3.88.6

A new version is online...

Few bugs corrected:
- bug corrected in refreshing the margin value for accelerated positioning
- set the maximum length of file name to the standard MS value
- bug corrected in the top wing view for not aligned LE margins
- bug corrected in the alignment menu when deleting point
- bug corrected in script execution on empty lines

Enjoy,

Gilles
Old Mar 12, 2011, 02:20 PM
Semper Fidelis...........
United States, CA, Calimesa
Joined Dec 2003
1,473 Posts
Angle cutting question

I remember somewhere along the line, that I checked a box improperly performing a "skin" cut, and instead of the wire traveling up, and then back, it started at the very trailing edge, cut at a perfect angle up to and bisecting the end of the cut at the top measurement. Does that make sense. What I need to do, is cut some split flap material for same, and I don't know how to do it.

It needs to be 380 mm's or so wide.
75 mm's chord.
the leading edge, needs to be 12 mm's high.

Make sense?

A simple triangle that I can use as the top portion of the split flap. Right now because of how I had to cut the wing, the flap is in pieces, with a small spacer having to be added. I'd like to make it one piece as it would be easier to epoxy down. Thanks for any advice. It would be even better if the bottom part was flat, and the top had the curve of the airfoil. Should I just set the co-ordinates for the full chord airfoil, use a block that is onlt 75 mm's chord, and let it go through the whole cut, but only be cutting the back end? Sorry for confusion, but that is my life!!!

Doug
Twinboom is offline Find More Posts by Twinboom
Old Mar 13, 2011, 02:10 PM
France
Joined Feb 2006
282 Posts
Hi,

I am not sure that I fully understood what you need, but a smaller block seems to be a good solution.

Gilles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinboom View Post
I remember somewhere along the line, that I checked a box improperly performing a "skin" cut, and instead of the wire traveling up, and then back, it started at the very trailing edge, cut at a perfect angle up to and bisecting the end of the cut at the top measurement. Does that make sense. What I need to do, is cut some split flap material for same, and I don't know how to do it.

It needs to be 380 mm's or so wide.
75 mm's chord.
the leading edge, needs to be 12 mm's high.

Make sense?

A simple triangle that I can use as the top portion of the split flap. Right now because of how I had to cut the wing, the flap is in pieces, with a small spacer having to be added. I'd like to make it one piece as it would be easier to epoxy down. Thanks for any advice. It would be even better if the bottom part was flat, and the top had the curve of the airfoil. Should I just set the co-ordinates for the full chord airfoil, use a block that is onlt 75 mm's chord, and let it go through the whole cut, but only be cutting the back end? Sorry for confusion, but that is my life!!!

Doug
Old Mar 14, 2011, 02:10 AM
Joined Dec 2003
1,473 Posts
I made a new block for the flapbox and just sanded it down. I know there must be an easier way to do it all, but we'll figure it out some day.

Doug
Old Mar 14, 2011, 02:28 AM
United States, MI, Monroe
Joined Mar 2000
875 Posts
TE cut

Is this what you are trying to cut???
Kevin Matney is online now Find More Posts by Kevin Matney
Old Mar 14, 2011, 02:59 AM
Joined Dec 2003
1,473 Posts
Hey kevin,
I did set up GMFC to cut the full airfoil I used orignally. I only placed a block at the beginning, or trailing edge and cut the back of the airfoil. After I had that piece, I tried to cut in half. It did not work out so well, so I justinstalled a block to come up with what you see in the picture, only the top half of the airfoil, to make room for the split flap. If you look at the two photo's, you'll see what I did. You can check out my build thread at http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=993496 for further clarification , I started it over two years ago, and am finally finishing it up.

Doug
Old Mar 24, 2011, 10:46 AM
Joined Jan 2006
18 Posts
i need help
I tried the version 3.0.87 and 3.88 gmfc to a project and i have problem

at 3 points at the bottom of the airfoil and 2 points up the program stops sending commands to the controller for 3 to 7 sec!

i try different airfoils, and differnce pc's all have the same problem

i use hobbycnc foam pro controller.
paxjohn is offline Find More Posts by paxjohn
Old Mar 24, 2011, 02:24 PM
France
Joined Feb 2006
282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxjohn View Post
i need help
I tried the version 3.0.87 and 3.88 gmfc to a project and i have problem

at 3 points at the bottom of the airfoil and 2 points up the program stops sending commands to the controller for 3 to 7 sec!

i try different airfoils, and differnce pc's all have the same problem

i use hobbycnc foam pro controller.
Hi

Check in the table configuration that the step lost when reversing direction is zero. This is a well-known bug.

Gilles
Old Mar 24, 2011, 02:46 PM
Joined Jan 2006
18 Posts
thank's Gilles .
I'll try in home tonight

=================

I put 0 step lost when reversing direction and it works fine now.

thanks Gilles.
paxjohn is offline Find More Posts by paxjohn
Last edited by paxjohn; Mar 25, 2011 at 10:51 AM.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 12:48 AM
United States, SC, Myrtle Beach
Joined Oct 2006
288 Posts
cutting problem

I am trying to get my cutter set up to work right. I get it all set to cut 40mm block perfect, but when I go to cut a taper 80mm on one side and 40mm on the other side both blocks come out 8 mm to big, when I change the kref setting then my straight cut is way off to small. I am open to any ideas.

Roger
roger2525 is offline Find More Posts by roger2525
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 29, 2011, 01:13 AM
San Diego
Joined Mar 2003
2,322 Posts
Roger, have you checked your Z offset very carefully? If you are a little off with that much taper, you would end up way off size. For example, for a right wing, if you are too far to the right it will cut small, if you are too far left you would cut big. You have to imagine where the wire or bow pivots from when you set up the marks on your table.
Ward Hagaman is offline Find More Posts by Ward Hagaman