HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:11 PM
United States, MN, North Mankato
Joined Feb 2011
4,675 Posts
What I did was cut a Popsicle stick and add gussets between the motor mount and the nose gear bulkhead. It's taken a ton of hard hits with no damage.
Alex Schauer is offline Find More Posts by Alex Schauer
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2012, 05:17 PM
Controlled Chaos
United States, OK, Poteau
Joined Jul 2012
214 Posts
I hooked up my watt meter to get some info and almost died! Well not really, but the motor mount broke off, and it almost scared me to death!

Epoxy time!

OKJeepin is offline Find More Posts by OKJeepin
Old Dec 27, 2012, 05:53 PM
Joined Feb 2011
4,675 Posts
Yeah you will get that
Old Dec 27, 2012, 06:06 PM
Controlled Chaos
Joined Jul 2012
214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjschauer View Post
Yeah you will get that
LOL, well she is epoxied HEAVILY now! I also layered another piece of thin ply to the inside of the mount w/ epoxy to offset the spinner/cowl gap and to help reinforce it. I am going to let it dry 24hrs then drill out the motor mount and vent/cooling holes and mount the motor for another try!
Last edited by OKJeepin; Dec 27, 2012 at 09:13 PM.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 07:23 PM
The wind caused that!!
Joined Jul 2012
617 Posts
Houston,,,, we have a problem!!!
hoghead5150 is offline Find More Posts by hoghead5150
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:12 PM
Controlled Chaos
Joined Jul 2012
214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoghead5150 View Post
Houston,,,, we have a problem!!!
And before I even got off the ground!

I got her fixed now, the motor mount anyway...front landing gear to be addressed this weekend time permitting.
I decided to leave it all white (probably regret that the first time I lose it in the sky). I went ahead and put the stickers on, and those long ones were fun! ,but thanks to my son we got them all on and it looks great.

I never posted my watt meter readings so I will add them here:
37A and 422 watts with a fully charged 3s 3300mah 40c battery, an APC 10 x 7 Thin Electric Propeller, and a ready to fly weight at 2lbs 15.75oz.
Last edited by OKJeepin; Dec 30, 2012 at 09:55 AM.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:25 AM
Controlled Chaos
Joined Jul 2012
214 Posts
Looks like I'm going to take it up on it's maiden voyage tomorrow.
The weather is supposed to be clear with a light wind of 3-7mph and i am getting excited!
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:52 AM
Joined Feb 2011
4,675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKJeepin View Post
And before I even got off the ground!

I got her fixed now, the motor mount anyway...front landing gear to be addressed this weekend time permitting.
I decided to leave it all white (probably regret that the first time I lose it in the sky). I went ahead and put the stickers on, and those long ones were fun! ,but thanks to my son we got them all on and it looks great.

I never posted my watt meter readings so I will add them here:
37A and 422 watts with a fully charged 4s 3300mah 40c battery, an APC 10 x 7 Thin Electric Propeller, and a ready to fly weight at 2lbs 15.75oz.

4s on a 10x7?!?
It also seems as 4s3300 is too big.... Most guys run 3s 2650-3300
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:57 AM
Controlled Chaos
Joined Jul 2012
214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjschauer View Post

4s on a 10x7?!?
It also seems as 4s3300 is too big.... Most guys run 3s 2650-3300
Dangit, that was a typo! 3s!! lol. The 3s 3300mah is a perfect fit.

Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:31 PM
Joined Feb 2011
4,675 Posts
Oooh okay that makes more sense!
Old Dec 30, 2012, 07:09 PM
Controlled Chaos
Joined Jul 2012
214 Posts
Maiden flight went good, landings were so so...going to have to work on that a little.
Orientation in the gray overcast sky we had today was pretty tough, going to have to work on that also.
It's one FAST plane, flew very easy once I got her trimmed, but man did she want to come in hot for the landings. A little bit of tip stall on the slow turns I made, but very easy to control. I am very happy so far.
I ordered some red monokote and a new sticker set. I am thinking of adding some red to the underside tips of the wings, maybe 6" or so, with a hole cut in the middle and the "Turbo" stickers in the that hole. The flat edge of the turbo sticker will butt up to the wing/aileron joint. Just a thought...

Edit :
Well...not my best work, but it will do I think!

Last edited by OKJeepin; Jan 08, 2013 at 10:13 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:02 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Mar 2012
336 Posts
Hey guys, just bought one of these, what is an alternative to the rimfire .10? I notice the rimfire has front mounting holes, I guess so the spinner sits flush. So is there an equivalent motor around that has the same front mounting holes? Or has everyone created a new motor mount?
Spudz27 is offline Find More Posts by Spudz27
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:19 AM
WiFi Thom
United States, OH, Elyria
Joined Oct 2012
190 Posts
I use the rimfire .10 on a three blade 10X5 MASTER AIRSCREW. I can cruise around at 1/2 throttle for 11 minutes and still have at least a 1 minute reserve with a 3 cell 3300 mah battery. I added a 1/8 inch plywood spacer between motor and mount to close gap of the spinner.
tbeller is offline Find More Posts by tbeller
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:29 AM
Joined Feb 2011
4,675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudz27 View Post
Hey guys, just bought one of these, what is an alternative to the rimfire .10? I notice the rimfire has front mounting holes, I guess so the spinner sits flush. So is there an equivalent motor around that has the same front mounting holes? Or has everyone created a new motor mount?
Turnigy 3530
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:29 AM
Joined Feb 2011
4,675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKJeepin View Post
Maiden flight went good, landings were so so...going to have to work on that a little.
Orientation in the gray overcast sky we had today was pretty tough, going to have to work on that also.
It's one FAST plane, flew very easy once I got her trimmed, but man did she want to come in hot for the landings. A little bit of tip stall on the slow turns I made, but very easy to control. I am very happy so far.
I ordered some red monokote and a new sticker set. I am thinking of adding some red to the underside tips of the wings, maybe 6" or so, with a hole cut in the middle and the "Turbo" stickers in the that hole. The flat edge of the turbo sticker will butt up to the wing/aileron joint. Just a thought...

Edit :
Well...not my best work, but it will do I think!

Wow not too shabby!! I like it